Best free replacement for Gallery on my Nexus5X?

lobsta111

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
best free replacement for Gallery on my Nexus5X

I never envisioned that in 2016 I would purchase a fone that did not have a native foto gallery. I DO NOT WANT anything that is google based. I also do not want to be inundated with ads & have to give free rein with permissions.
Thanks
Al

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: best free replacement for Gallery on my Nexus5X

Photos is the native gallery. If you don't want to use Google software, Nexus might not be the right device to use - but there are no ads in Photos.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

Educate yourself on security and permissions settings with Android. You would be surprised by how much control you have over this if you are paranoid about security.

There are many third party photo gallery options available in the Play store. "Best" will likely come down to your preference.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Google Photos is the default picture gallery app on the Nexus and it includes unlimited photo and video cloud storage and it, like all the other Google apps, are ad free.

As for replacement apps, there are a ton... most of the ones worth installing are going to have premium versions that you'll want to pay for and the free ones usually come with ads. I use Photos, so I am not that familiar with them.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

lobsta111: " I DO NOT WANT anything that is google based."

Then why do you have an Android phone? You sound like an Apple users. Also, best is a totally subjective term and is determined by what's important for you. Apparently, all that matters to you is that it not be Google.

Thalestr

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site

Quickpic. Fully functional gallery without any of the fluff and bs of Google photos.

Posted via the Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
QuickPic kinda sucks IMO, but just curious - what is the "fluff and bs" of Photos? QuickPic is owned by Cheetah Mobile, so that's an automatic deal breaker.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Quickpic. Fully functional gallery without any of the fluff and bs of Google photos.

Posted via the Android Central App
What fluff? The UI is uncluttered, and it includes the best cloud backup service going.

Go look up who owns Quickpic... They are the gold standard for fluff (and worse)

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
There you go. For one:
"Quickpic. Fully functional gallery without any of the fluff and bs of Google photos."
But, on the other hand:
"QuickPic kinda sucks IMO...."

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I was trying to say that QuickPic kinda sucks independently of Cheetah Mobile, but CM makes all of their apps dealbreakers.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't being critical of you or Thalestr and that's why I didn't bother using names. I was trying, and apparently failing, to make the point that "best" or "better" is purely subjective. What's best for one person is the polar opposite for another.

lobsta111

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
All you people are correct, "best" is subjective. I should have asked about a quality replacement alternative to Photos. PTkelley, there was no need for your disparagement. I'm just letting it be known that I have NEVER, nor will I ever drink the Apple Koolaid.
I'm leery about Google getting more info on me as I have been having medical problems. A number of years ago I googled psoriatic arthritis as I had just been diagnosed with it. I am STILL getting hit with targeted ads for psoriasis products.

I still have an unlimited data plan from VZ. I wanted a good mid-range fone without all the VZ bloatware that would also receive timely updates. Nexus 5 X met that standard at a good price.
For those who had solid advice: Thank You
Al

Pirate Arr

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I never envisioned that in 2016 I would purchase a fone that did not have a native foto gallery. I DO NOT WANT anything that is google based. I also do not want to be inundated with ads & have to give free rein with permissions.
Thanks
Al

The native photo 'gallery' app IS Photos. How hard is that? With the option of free unlimited storage even full original images backup BECAUSE you have a Nexus!

#TeamFrosty Nexus 6P

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000