Suddenly can't hear incoming caller on my Nexus 5x?

Ann Maine

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Suddenly can't hear incoming caller on my Nexus 5x

Last week, on July 14th, I made some phone calls without any problems. I got an update during the day but waited until nighttime to let it install. The next day I went through most of the day without making a call, and then in the afternoon my husband called me and I thought he'd hit mute or something because I couldn't hear him. He called back and I realized I could JUST hear that he was talking but it was so quiet that i couldn't understand a word. I tried calling a friend, with the same results. Later, when he was home, I tried calling my phone from his and no audible sound was coming through.

I've tried everything I can think of. I tried using speakerphone - my voice comes through then, but it gets caught in a feedback loop where it gets incrementally higher and higher until it's ear splitting. I tried my car's Bluetooth with the same result. I tried a factory reset, no change. I just tried signing up for the Android N Beta thinking it had to have something to do with the update that I got that night, but no luck.

I posted on a few forums where people were talking about a similar problem with the Nexus 5, only to be told that the problem I'm having doesn't plague the 5x. Well, I beg to differ. Fortunately I don't make many phone calls but I certainly would prefer to have the option.

Can anyone help me??? I'm on the Verizon Network with my Nexus 5x. I have had zero problems up until last Friday. I really don't want to have to go back to my old phone, or have to buy a new one (I bought this on Swappa so I'm pretty sure there's no warantee). HELP! Thank you all!!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Suddenly can't hear incoming caller on my Nexus 5x

Welcome to Android Central! Does this happen in Safe Mode as well? https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2852139?hl=en. If so, then try manually reinstalling the firmware: How to manually update your Nexus | Android Central.

If it persists, then something in the hardware may have failed. If you got your phone from Google, did you buy their Nexus Protect insurance plan? If so, contact them and ask for a replacement. If you don't have Nexus Protect, it should still be under warranty, so Google should still either fix it or replace it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance