Buy 5x or wait until new devices come out?

zoenphlux

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I currently have an LG G2 on page plus. I've been messing around with custom ROMs for it using android 5 and 6 but I'm ready to use a device that is less buggy and doesn't bog down so easily. Also, I am eager to try Project Fi since I get horrible service at home with any carrier and want to use wifi for calls/texts. It will be a little more than I pay with page plus and 1GB less data for that price, but I don't really use data that much. I have wifi at work and home, and most places I go. I have a work phone I Stream music on. (iPhone6 :( )

My questions is do I go ahead and get a 5x, or do I wait for the new devices? I know the newer ones will be better, but do you think they will be THAT much better to justify the 100-150$ price difference vs the current sale price of a 5x? Part of my concern is m ycurrnet phone gets slow easily because of only 2gb of ram. I assume the 5x will suffer the same.

Thanks

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Based on leaks, I think "Sailfish" will be that much better. We have a 5x and a 6p. The 5x works fine because DH only cares about a phone and internet and the size works for him. The 6p is great for someone who wants more from a device. I'm waiting for the new devices, but if neither seems to be what I want to replace N5, I'll get a 6p. The 5x fits mu hand well and definitely picks up phone connections and gps far better than my N5. The tactile sensitivity on 5x is worse. The display is probably equal (just looking at it) although I don't care for the slight yellowish tint. The 6p has a gorgeous display, imo.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I'd probably just get the 5x. Still a very good phone, especially for under $300 ($250 for 32GB through project fi). The sailfish and marlin will be quite a bit more expensive. With the 5x you get the fast fingerprint sensor, very good camera, excellent screen (accurate and bright), decent battery life and good overall performance. Haven't had any lag issues with my 5x. Also had the G2 and the 5x is definitely an upgrade.

zoenphlux

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Do you think the 5x will get another update after Android N? I noticed the 5 was dropped off the list. I was concerned the 2GB of ram on the 5x might limit updates, at least offical ones.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Probably, but I'm pretty sure DH doesn't care. What's your opinion re the laggy touch screen? He hates that but doesn't want me to unlock the bootloader and "mess with it."

Haven't had touch responsiveness issues on MM or N. I'd lean toward defective phone since it also has yellow tint.

Don_Henry

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Haven't had touch responsiveness issues on MM or N. I'd lean toward defective phone since it also has yellow tint.

I also have never had any issues with touch response or any other lag or battery issues with my 5X. The only issues that I have experienced were with apps that had not been updated to support the various N DP releases - but that is certainly not the fault of the 5X or N.

NEXUS 5X ON AT&T ON 7.0 DP5 - Posted via the Android Central App

vVick3d

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
Probably, but I'm pretty sure DH doesn't care. What's your opinion re the laggy touch screen? He hates that but doesn't want me to unlock the bootloader and "mess with it."

I'm another user that's never experienced any touchscreen lag.

If you think the display is yellow that's because it's supposed to be slightly "warm". To change it activate developer options then activate the "cool color temperature" slider. The 5x is actually one of the most accurate LCD panels out there on a phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm another user that's never experienced any touchscreen lag.

If you think the display is yellow that's because it's supposed to be slightly "warm". To change it activate developer options then activate the "cool color temperature" slider. The 5x is actually one of the most accurate LCD panels out there on a phone.

Posted via the Android Central App
Thanks. I did that and it does seem to be less yellow. I posted some pics http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3433343. They are regrettably lousy, but I think the difference shows.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I would honestly get the 5X if that's what you would prefer to get. I think the Sailfish will be a little bit better, but if you would rather pocket the difference, there is nothing wrong with that. I'm actually half thinking of getting my Mom one.

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I would wait for the new phones to come out . . . then buy a 5X when the prices drop . . .
Now that probable prices have been posted for new phones (combined with the fact that I have the N9 so not a fan of HTC), I am definitely looking at 5x or 6p. I wonder if 5x can go much below $199 though. Fortunately, N5 is hanging in there!

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I predict that additional price drops will depend on inventory. Even then I expect to see another $25 come off the price.

Vyrlokar

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if Google will slash the prices in preparation for the new batch of nexus phones. They've done it before, and buying the year old models, that still get another year of updates and two years of security patches, usually gives you awesome value.