I got the 5x and the yellow screen to go with it!

zoenphlux

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I was debating between upgrading to the 5x from an LG G2 (custom marshmallow rom) or just waiting for the new nexus. I finally opted to the get the 5x, and I think it is a great device. It is definently a great upgrade from the LG. I actualy am getting better coverage with this one vs my Verizon LG. At my house and on the way to town I would have a long dead zone, but this one keeps LTE the whole time. Must be Tmobile because the kids have some Freedompop phones (Sprint) and they don't get a cell signal. Wifi only.

What I do not like about it is the massive top and bottom bezels. The phone overall is a lot taller than my LG G2, but has the same screen. I think they were going for a semetrical look having the same bezels on both ends but it makes the phone more bulky with no apparent benefit (possibly needed for camera?). Just my inital thoughts. Everything else is great.

The day I received the 5x I didn't noticed an issue with the screen per say, but I did a comparison to see. I compared it to my LG G2 and boy what a difference. The 5x was very yellow! I notified Project Fi support and was overnighted a new 5x. Much better.

This shows My LG G2 on the far right, old nexus in the middle, and the new one on the left. To me the old LG has the best looking screen. The other picture that I can't remove is the LG G2 compared to the old Nexus with the cool color option turned on in developer options.

File_000 (1).jpg

Attachments

• File_000.jpeg
    File_000.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 27

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
There is a setting in the Developer Options to shift the display calibration to a bluer color palette.. have you tried that?

zoenphlux

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes, and it does help some. Obviously, there is a problem though and I shouldn't be expected to "deal with it." That being said, when I wasn't around other phones it wasn't nearly as obvious. I am sure there are a ton of these going around that are not corrected, and the poeple are happy. I just happened to compared it.

Before the color change compared to the my LG G2.
IMG_2216.jpg

After I changed the setting compared to LG G2.
File_000 (1).jpg

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
These 2 pic comparisons are your old 5x, right? The newer one in first pic looks like the one we have, but once I chose the cooler setting, it looks much more like your G3. Still, that screen kept me from going from N5 to 5x. Glad G Fi sent you a new one. I read complaints about refurbs being sent--refurbs with problems.

zoenphlux

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I was worried about that but I just bought the phone last week, and reported it the first day I used it. I would hope they would send another new one that early on.

Yea, the last pictures show the old 5x with and then without the color change compared to my LG G2. I sent those to google to verify the issue. I haven't changed the color setting since then on the new one to compare. I am not doing photo editing, it doesn't have to be THAT accurate.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
By the way... the 5X has one of the most color accurate screens on the market. I am not making any assumptions based on these photos, but on the whole, if your unit is working 100% (and not having some sort of screen issue), then the colors are pretty much dead on and its the device you are comparing it to that is shifted.... a lot of OEMs shift their phones to a cooler color palette, then tweak reds a bit, as it makes whites pop a little bit more.

Again, I'm not saying that's what is going on here... but to condemn either the 5 (which was one of the most accurate as well) or the 5X as having a bad screen, well, that's not really the case.

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Again, I'm not saying that's what is going on here... but to condemn either the 5 (which was one of the most accurate as well) or the 5X as having a bad screen, well, that's not really the case.

I'm sure I've only read about 1% of all info on the N5, but I've not seen complaints about its display. I only wish our 5X display looked the same because I love the N5 display-no tweaks. I would have purchased a 5X for myself.

EDIT: I really can't believe it, but this morning, I changed my mind about the 5x screen. During my forty minute treadmill grind, I had 5x right next to 5 comparing it. Definitely a warmer screen (with cool enabled). Then, I was back on N9. I have one of the finicky ones, but I've stuck with it because I LOVE the screen/display. Guess what? It's even "warmer" than the 5x. Looks like I'm gonna try the 5x for myself (the one we have I bought for DH).

Last edited: