So, the 5X is pretty damn nice

Turbo Brian

May 21, 2011
Visit site
In light of the note7 recall and 2 more exploding phones in the news yesterday, i decided to shelve my note 7. Today ive been loading all my stuff onto a Nexus 5X i bought a couple months ago for $230. i originally bought it as a backup phone (glad i did now) and something to take with me jogging/biking since the 5X was much smaller than the nexus 6 i'd been using. Nougat loaded last week and now that ive been playing with it today, im very happy with it. it really feels smoother than the note 7 did; no lag or stuttering. My fiance has been using one since last xmas (when i paid nearly double what i got mine for; doh!) and she's been happy with it. the screen is a bit meh compared to the amoled on both my nexus 6 and of course the note 7 but otherwise, performance wise, its been very nice. strongly considering just getting my money back on the note 7 rather than a replacement and just roll with the 5X until the new nexus/pixel/google phones come out and maybe try the "big one". until then, i will keep enjoying this 5X and its smoothness, just wish it had wireless charging :'(

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
In light of the note7 recall and 2 more exploding phones in the news yesterday, i decided to shelve my note 7. Today ive been loading all my stuff onto a Nexus 5X i bought a couple months ago for $230. i originally bought it as a backup phone (glad i did now) and something to take with me jogging/biking since the 5X was much smaller than the nexus 6 i'd been using. Nougat loaded last week and now that ive been playing with it today, im very happy with it. it really feels smoother than the note 7 did; no lag or stuttering. My fiance has been using one since last xmas (when i paid nearly double what i got mine for; doh!) and she's been happy with it. the screen is a bit meh compared to the amoled on both my nexus 6 and of course the note 7 but otherwise, performance wise, its been very nice. strongly considering just getting my money back on the note 7 rather than a replacement and just roll with the 5X until the new nexus/pixel/google phones come out and maybe try the "big one". until then, i will keep enjoying this 5X and its smoothness, just wish it had wireless charging :'(
I'm glad to hear this as I have a Nexus 5x on the way from Amazon! I have a Droid Maxx 2 now that I'm mostly happy with but really wanted to try an unlocked Nexus device. I would also like wireless charging (had it on my Windows phones and loved it) and an sd card slot would be nice but 32 GB should hold me as I'm not much of an app hound.

anon(8532178)

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site

The Nexus 5X is my second Android phone I bought and I don't regret it at all only thing I hate is the battery life but solid device all around.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site

I turned in my Note 7 Saturday and have been using my s7 Active and I hate it so I just ran to the store and grabbed a Nexus 5x for 299 so I can sell the Active. I love the fingerprint reader location so much more than a home button one. I do wish it had wireless charging as well though since I dont have any other usb c cords or adapters. So far seems like a nice device and after its done upgrading Ill be rooting it to make it a bit better.

vVick3d

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
This is probably the best budget phone on the market right now.

Its super tough to fault the slightly smaller battery and only 1080p screen when the phone is this cheap. It's buttery smooth running Nougat. I haven't seen a single issue that would make it non usable as a daily (for the price).

Turbo Brian

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I turned in my Note 7 Saturday and have been using my s7 Active and I hate it so I just ran to the store and grabbed a Nexus 5x for 299 so I can sell the Active. I love the fingerprint reader location so much more than a home button one. I do wish it had wireless charging as well though since I dont have any other usb c cords or adapters. So far seems like a nice device and after its done upgrading Ill be rooting it to make it a bit better.

yes, the fingerprint reader location on the back is amazing. that is a much more natural landing spot for my finger when i pick the phone up than sammy's home button

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I've been doing a lot of messing around with mine that I got yesterday. I like pretty much everything about it. I do have the weird unbearably slow wifi problem though. It made all the updates take a ridiculous amount of time. Googling revealed this as a not uncommon problem perhaps caused bysome sort of incompatiblity with a router's radio. It was suggested that turning on Bluetooth would fix the slowness and much to my surprise it did. A strange band aid but my throughput goes from kbps to 150 mbps when Bluetooth is enabled.

Fortunately I saw that prior to upgrading to Nougat. A 1 GB download would have been beyond painful. Nougat has been good so far, still playing around with it.

Edit: I put up another router as an access point and can confirm that the poor wifi throughput is indeed due to some sort of incompatiblity with the POS Comcast gateway. I get the expected speeds on the Netgear with Bluetooth disabled. It is strange as no other device I have exhibits this behavior with the gateway but at least I have ruled out any sort of hardware issue with 5X.

Last edited:

anon(8532178)

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
What's the battery life like? I chose the 6P instead of the 5X and battery life is absolutely superb.

I don't have the device on me because I use a V10 now but I'm a light user take that as you will. If you have time search up 5X battery life. If I do get the device on hand again Ill send a message or something.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I have no games on my Nexus 5x. I don't watch movies or videos on my Nexus 5x. I don't stream music on my Nexus 5x. I have no social media programs on my Nexus. I have a computer at home and I only go to the internet on my phone for a specific search and no "surfing".

I do text messages with a few friends. I get emails when I'm out and answer a few but most wait till I'm back to my computer. I take photos. I have my Google Calendar for my schedule and Google Keep for my lists. I use Google Maps occasionally. I use my Spanish/English dictionary frequently. I use my English dictionary rarely.

When I go to bed I power my Nexus 5x off. My battery lasts for three to four days.

My battery lasts three or four days.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I have both 5x and note 5. And no, you can't compare the two. Note 5 is the superior phone here no questions ask.

Is 5x a great cheap plasticy feeling phone? YES and it runs smooth. It's just not a phone to compete with Note 5 or 7. You are kidding yourself if you think it does.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
After a couple of days i only have 2 complaints: battery life and volume from speakers. While the battery should get me through the day it will be a little tight. Will have to carry a charging cable. Also, i cannot hear a lot of notifications when they come in. Does anyone know of a fix?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
What's the battery life like? I chose the 6P instead of the 5X and battery life is absolutely superb.
I have both and the 6P does have better legs... An extra 700mah tends to do that.

The 5X does pretty good most of the time.. about the only time it starts to get really thirsty is when I'd use the camera a fair amount. The 808 seems to struggle a bit when you hit the imaging system. Outside of that, it plugs along quite nice.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I have both 5x and note 5. And no, you can't compare the two. Note 5 is the superior phone here no questions ask.

Is 5x a great cheap plasticy feeling phone? YES and it runs smooth. It's just not a phone to compete with Note 5 or 7. You are kidding yourself if you think it does.

I like the plastic on the Nexus.. . Feels almost like Corian.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Leo, can one reduce the camera pic pixels and gain better battery life? I mean you have to change um anyway to post them anywhere with a file size limit..so why not do it when youre taking the pic....right?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Leo, can one reduce the camera pic pixels and gain better battery life? I mean you have to change um anyway to post them anywhere with a file size limit..so why not do it when you're taking the pic....right?

I honestly don't know if reducing the resolution will make all that much of a difference. And if it does, that difference will most likely be marginal. As for posting pictures, I resize what I want to post after the fact. You can always reduce the resolution of a picture, but you can't really increase it.

happy0506

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I love the 5x and Fi. My 4th Nexus phone and the best phone I've ever owned. I screwed up and bought the 16gb version and am running low on space. Now Google stopped selling the 5x and my only option is the used market and I'm worried about getting a defective phone cause my first 5x was. I looked at the Pixel, but didn't see anything about it to justify the significant price hike. So disappointed the Nexus line is being retired! I'll be forced to get a Pixel when my storage runs out or risk a used one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87