Nexus 5x battery drains 80% overnight - what's going on?

11wizard

Oct 1, 2016
Visit site
I just got a new Nexus 5x. I am attaching a screenshot of my battery drain overnight. What's going on? Is this normal? What can I do to prevent this?

Screenshot_20160930-161931.jpg

(edit*: overnight is relative: I'm working on a night shift...)

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I see this from a lot of users. I can tell you it does not happen to me. That leads me to believe it is an app that could be doing it perhaps.

bulabula

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, after 15 hours I'm at 26% with 6 hours left. But my screen is the biggest user at 20% and my android system and OS are around 7% each. Something is using those extra cycles. I've been using my phone all day.

egdonald

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I can't see the screen shot, but can you comment on what you might be doing on the phone? Which apps you use having during the period you see heavy battery drain, etc

Personally, I saw slightly heavier battery drain than prior to the 7 update, where the phone will have about 15% left after about 15 house unplugged. That's with average use, such as checking emails, amazon app usage, light Tapatalk use, and general web browsing, but all in general light use. I'd say after about 2 weeks, that went away and battery drain is general normal for me again, where it's be about 35% after a similar 15 hour period.

Without knowing the logic behind his Doze works, I assume it's collected enough usage data to determine how to conserve battery after the 2 week period of having 7 installed.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 5x with Android 7. The screen is my biggest user with cell standby and phone idle second and third. Android OS and system are fourth and fifth.

So, it would seem logical that some are dealing with defective hardware, which is unlikely, or a bad app or two. The only time I've had a terrible battery drain was with my Nexus 5 and it was a music app which was constantly communicating with someone.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Couple of questions...

Do you have auto update apps turned on in the play store?

Since you mentioned you work night shift, are you leaving your phone in a locker or some metal box that may be interfering with the signal / phones connection?

Just a couple of thoughts....

Japser

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Android 7 has a serious battery bug. Both the 6P and the 5X seem to be affected, but not everyone with those phones is experiencing it.

Look at this screenshot of my 5X:

Attachments

• 60186.jpg
    60186.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 32

derekwhite44

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Does anybody know whether installing nougat from factory reset vs upgrading is a factor? I am experiencing this problem and I just upgraded from Android 6. I'm thinking I should probably try a factory reset, but I'd be pretty annoyed if I do that and it doesn't help.

jcwolf

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I've done a factory reset, a complete wipe and a fresh install, nothing helps. I'm going to wipe and flash fresh with the October image just for my own sanity at this point. VERY frustrating as i'm sure you are aware.

TGIS

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site
I've done a factory reset, a complete wipe and a fresh install, nothing helps. I'm going to wipe and flash fresh with the October image just for my own sanity at this point. VERY frustrating as i'm sure you are aware.
I went so far as to flash Marshmallow to get the battery back.

jcwolf

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I just did a wipe and re-flashed nougat yesterday, same freaking thing. I'm back on MM and that's where I'm going to stay until this issue is fixed. I flashed nougat last week and didn't install a single app, other than stock, and left the phone for 12 hours, didn't even touch it, and it lost over 60% of the battery to Android OS and Android ssystem.

Last edited:

jcwolf

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
If it were just a bad battery, the battery drain would be the same with Android 6 & 7, it's not. My battery lasts 40ish hours on Android 6, MM, and not even 20 hours on Android 7, Nougat.

Sparky01GT

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
The only time this has happened to my 5X was when I was on vacation in hotels with spotty wifi. I guess the phone was always searching for a wifi signal or something and I woke up every morning to a dead battery.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
The only time I've had a problem with battery drain it drove me crazy for a couple of weeks. I did a factory reset and that didn't help. Finally, I got rid of an app I'd installed and, voila, no more problem.

Let's face it. Losing 80% overnight certainly isn't normal.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't remember but it was an app for downloading music. It was almost three years ago when I got my first Nexus. I think, but I can't swear, that it was looking for sites to connect to when I wasn't doing anything with the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae