5X became a bootlooped brick

findmyphone

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
9 month old 5x started bootlooping two nights ago. Called Google Support, they tried to get it into recovery mode but the phone never kept locking up minutes after it finally would restart. They are sending me out a refurb. After I hung up with them, I tried to get 7.11 to install. No joy, as now the phone just sits on a "no command" screen with adead android guy, and as I understand it the only way to recover from that is to flash a factory image. Luckily I kept my old Moto X around as a backup. Funny...the moto x is running great, except for the fact that is takes three hours to charge to full.

Of note, LG seems to be the name that is associated most often with bootlooping phones. The G4, and V10, and now the 5X seems to be suffering from this issue. I'm so tempted to grab a V10 as they are cheap at B & H, but I just can't convince myself to trade one problem phone for another.

Last edited:

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
If you have access to a PC and the inclination to do so, I would suggest you download the Nexus Root Toolkit from Wugfresh and follow the instructions to reinstall the factory OS.

You can't make it worse than it is and, assuming no hardware failures, you will probably having a working phone in less than an hour.

findmyphone

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Considering it was under warranty and that I don't know for certain it doesn't have a hardware failure, what point is there to spend the time to flash it when I have another phone on the way?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Considering it was under warranty and that I don't know for certain it doesn't have a hardware failure, what point is there to spend the time to flash it when I have another phone on the way?

Lol. You are correct; there would be no point to it at all.

But, if it were mine, I'd do it just for the fun of it. (Of course, I am an IT professional, so it goes without saying...)

findmyphone

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
I already put a few hours in to trying to bring it back from the bootloop status. Even if it was "fun" I've got better things to do ;-)

jleakey

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Mine started doing this same thing and it's 23 days out of warranty. I'm all for hacking it but I can't even get fastboot unlock to work. It just says fastboot unlock not allowed.

findmyphone

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Mine started doing this same thing and it's 23 days out of warranty. I'm all for hacking it but I can't even get fastboot unlock to work. It just says fastboot unlock not allowed.

That sucks. I feel lucky I did not buy at launch. I just got my refurb-replacement today and am setting it up now.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

If it is the result of a failed update, Google may replace it even though out of warranty. If it were mine, I would call and raise a ruckus.

ElderHallow

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
If it is the result of a failed update, Google may replace it even though out of warranty. If it were mine, I would call and raise a ruckus.

This happened to my Nexus 5X too. I'm on EE and bought it from the Carphone Warehouse.

Updated to 7.1.1 just before Christmas. Christmas Eve it gets caught in boot loop. Phone Google they basically give me the big FU and send me to Carphone Warehouse.

At this point I'm panicking because it's over a year old and outside warranty but I bite the bullet and take it anyway.

Turns out that Google have 2 year warranties on their phones....? Never heard of this before. Carphone Warehouse have it, replace the main board and send it back saying it's completely fixed and upgraded to latest OS (it wasnt. I had to download and install 7.1.1 when I got home).

Using the phone for about 2 hours and then freezes on me again and shuts down. Only this time it won't boot up at all. Just bricked 😥 so they have it now and it's taken them a week just to send it to their repair centre.

What a balls up! The moral of the story if you're suffering the same take the phone back to where you bought it because you may have a 2 year guarantee too. Although don't expect anyone to fix it quick 😂

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I had this happen to mine a while back, but had purchased it originally from the Google store. Called Google and they shipped me a replacement.

Just my .02....

findmyphone

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
My refurbished replacement started locking up and spontaneous rebooting about a week ago after working pretty well for three months. A call to project-fi support to report the issue and I've got another replacent on the way. They pretty much said even refurbished phones are getting full warranty coverage.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante