Anyone still hasn't received the 7.1.1 OTA update??

robtani

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm beginning to wonder if my phone has been blacklisted for some reason. I was on the beta program and had the 7.1.1 back in October..but then I opted out of Beta (it then wiped the phone and put 7.0 back). Still, no sign of 7.1.1. This morning finally got the December security patch but still 7.0. Does this make any sense at all?? Am I the last person still having 7.0 on the Nexus 5X????

robtani

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Good point.. I was considering doing that but was afraid to brick the phone or get it in one of those bootloop nightmares. Not sure I have the latest Android SDK/ADB tool. Has it been a smooth experience for you before?

robtani

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks... Was truly beginning to think it's just me and there's something wrong with my phone. I really don't get why Google can't get these updates straight even for Nexus devices while Apple gets all the iOS updates deployed within a couple of days.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Have you considered the possibility that when you post here about not having 7.1.1 someone with Google giggles and moves you to the bottom of the list?

cache11

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I still don't have it and having to join beta again to get 7.1.1 is a joke. This is one of the reasons my 5X sits in a drawer and I switch between my Note 5 and S7. After this many years Google should have this update cycle perfected regardless of carrier and I won't buy another Google/Pixel phone until they do. I am the only Android user in my entire family and I can understand how IPhone users view Android as a half baked platform based on updates alone. If the IPhone ever gets widgets and a built-in stylus I will probably make the switch.

aysiu

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Haven't gotten it on my 5x either. Very strange. Other updates have occurred more or less at the beginning of the month.

robtani

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah.. for some reason when you sign up for the Beta program, the update just immediately pushes out to the device. The problem with the Beta program is that when you opt out it forces a complete wipe out and at this point, I don't really care to get beta builds. Guess I'll have to flash it myself or just wait longer. It really is a shame the way Google is handling these updates. Apple does a better job getting updates deployed to four year old devices even!

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah.. for some reason when you sign up for the Beta program, the update just immediately pushes out to the device. The problem with the Beta program is that when you opt out it forces a complete wipe out and at this point, I don't really care to get beta builds. Guess I'll have to flash it myself or just wait longer. It really is a shame the way Google is handling these updates. Apple does a better job getting updates deployed to four year old devices even!

It will not wipe your phone if you are on a stable build. I got 7.1.1 and opted out of the beta program and did not have to wipe my phone.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't recall if I wiped my phone when I went from beta to 7.1.1 because it was a few weeks back but I have done a factory restore since then and it's a snap. All my photos, all my apps, all my contacts, and my WiFi settings came back. All I had to do was re-enter my email setup, set my preferences in programs again,and download ringtones. Wasn't a big deal. Actually, I rather enjoyed it.

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I just finished updating my husband's 5X to 7.1.1 by enrolling it in the beta program. Once the update (along with the December security update) finished installing, I unenrolled the 5X from the beta program. Nothing was wiped, no data lost... that's because 7.1.1 is actually no longer in beta so the wipe is no longer required.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't recall if I wiped my phone when I went from beta to 7.1.1 because it was a few weeks back but I have done a factory restore since then and it's a snap. All my photos, all my apps, all my contacts, and my WiFi settings came back. All I had to do was re-enter my email setup, set my preferences in programs again,and download ringtones. Wasn't a big deal. Actually, I rather enjoyed it.

I did a reset as well although I really didn't need to. I agree that it was easy but I have been through this before and knew what I was in for.

aysiu

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Just did the beta enroll / unenroll. No prompt to wipe the device. Kind of a weird workaround to get 7.1.1, but it's a hell of a lot easier than sideloading via adb!

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I used the same trick to get the stable Nougat build right after I got my 5X. I was worried about being forced to wipe the phone but never got any notification to do so. Google could communicate this a bit better. I only tried it because I saw a lot of posts from people that unenrolled and weren't required to wipe the phone.

pilot180

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
Talked to Google Fi, they seem to not know why my 5X has not been ungraded to 7.1 or 7.1.1. And offered no solution???? I'm skeptical a bug has not been resolved for 5X. Mine will still not go to strongest cell signal which is Sprint in my neighborhood and stays on weaker T-Mobile signal. I have to force it over with the Fi switch app. I think Fi has already abandoned this phone!