How come Nougat Beta does not get security patches?

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm running Nougat Beta 7.1.2 on my 5X and still haven't seen the February security patch. Why does Google hold them back for Beta users?

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Yeah that's what I figured. Anyone know why though? I assume there must be a technical reason. Thanks.
I don't think they ever really said. I was in the 7.0 nougat beta last summer and they just included security patches about 2 weeks after with a new build.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah that's what I figured. Anyone know why though? I assume there must be a technical reason. Thanks.

Ease of support.

The mainline branch, which is 7.1.1 at the moment, is stable. The only changes getting into that branch are those in the monthly security postings. So testing can be focused on the changes in those updates. The beta branch, on the other hand, is a pretty dynamic beastie... there are merges and commits all over the place and keeping that working AND merging in changes for the security updates is a pretty big drain on resources.

So Google releases the beta with a relatively up to date security patch level and then leaves it until the next beta build gets cut some point down the road.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Ease of support.

The mainline branch, which is 7.1.1 at the moment, is stable. The only changes getting into that branch are those in the monthly security postings. So testing can be focused on the changes in those updates. The beta branch, on the other hand, is a pretty dynamic beastie... there are merges and commits all over the place and keeping that working AND merging in changes for the security updates is a pretty big drain on resources.

So Google releases the beta with a relatively up to date security patch level and then leaves it until the next beta build gets cut some point down the road.

Which is scheduled generally every six weeks.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Ease of support.

I was thinking it was something along those lines. Thanks for the explanation.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1