10-08-2017 11:39 PM
35 12
tools
    We replaced both our 5Xs with unlocked Galaxy S8s while they were on sale at Best Buy. Samsung's TouchWiz isn't all that bad and the phone's are nice.
    09-04-2017 01:35 PM
    Anybody tried the OnePlus 5? If so, what do you think of the camera compared to the Nexus 5X?
    09-13-2017 07:12 PM
    do I go for the Pixel?
    I'd say yes. I got a Pixel, but not out of necessity. It is roughly the same footprint.
    09-15-2017 09:09 AM
    What about the Moto X4 just announced for Project Fi? I looked and they are offering up to $115 trade in on a Nexus 5X plus a $50 Fi credit.
    09-20-2017 06:52 PM
    Just read it has a glass back--aargh! Hate that, and is probably a deal breaker for me. All my phones instantly go in a case and never emerge, and a glass back is just a waste of money and IMHO offers much less protection than plastic or metal. Just hate glass backs.
    09-20-2017 06:56 PM
    I have absolutely no idea what to get next. I wish the 5X would have gotten 3+ GB RAM, but I'm having severe issues with RAM shortage. Average use is 95-99%.

The only Android phone I'm willing to buy has to have promised security updates for at least 3 years, and quick OS updates for at least 2 major versions. The only device I know of that fits this description is the Google Pixel, but I have a low tolerance towards OLED displays so that leaves nothing. Unless the Pixel 2 will go back to IPS LCD which is extremely unlikely.

I don't like the iPhone experience, but other than the Pixel phone it's the only one guaranteed to get software updates for 3+ years. And they use IPS LCD (X excluded).

I don't know what to get next....
    09-24-2017 08:31 AM
    I have absolutely no idea what to get next. I wish the 5X would have gotten 3+ GB RAM, but I'm having severe issues with RAM shortage. Average use is 95-99%.

The only Android phone I'm willing to buy has to have promised security updates for at least 3 years, and quick OS updates for at least 2 major versions. The only device I know of that fits this description is the Google Pixel, but I have a low tolerance towards OLED displays so that leaves nothing. Unless the Pixel 2 will go back to IPS LCD which is extremely unlikely.

I don't like the iPhone experience, but other than the Pixel phone it's the only one guaranteed to get software updates for 3+ years. And they use IPS LCD (X excluded).

I don't know what to get next....
    Samsung flagships get security updates for at least 3 years (the S5 and Note 4 got security updates last Aug), and usually 2 major OS updates.

A Pixel will get more than 3 years and more than 2 updates.

However, I'm thinking you're out of luck regarding LCD. Maybe the V20 perhaps? The only major flagship caliber phone now that still uses LCD is HTC. Even iPhones have moved to OLED tech.

Not sure about regarding low tolerance to OLED. Not sure foe other devices but Samsungs have a display settings where color intensity is adjusted. The S7 in basic mode is one of the most color accurate screens there is, beating a lot of LCD competitors. I'd think there is some way other manufacturer OLED screens can be adjusted.
    09-24-2017 08:40 AM
    I'm hoping the Moto X4 will be a nice midrange replacement for the 5X. Project Fi trade-in of $110 drops the X4 32GB price to <$300.
    09-28-2017 08:17 AM
    I went with the Nokia 8 in the end. Great stock Android experience and very very quick!

Loving it at the moment. Also had the September security patch waiting for download out of the box. 👍
    10-08-2017 06:22 AM
    I'm going to the Pixel 2XL, less than 1/4" wider, and less than 3/8" taller and just about all screen its going to be a great change without a big footprint difference. Basically the 5X is the same size of the P2XL display.

My 5X seems tired and the power button fails to turn it off sometimes. Rooted from day one and custom ROM'd hard. I keep in a wallet case in my front pocket @work, I'm am industrial production floor maintenance tech and she has been rode hard and put up wet on a daily basis.
    10-08-2017 11:39 PM
35 12