Where to go after the 5X???

ElderHallow

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Ok. So my phones due for an upgrade in September. I love my 5X but have had 3 of them because of the Boot Loop issues. So I'm not prepared to keep it.

I just don't know where to go for an upgrade.

I won't be able to afford a Pixel 2 so do I go for the Pixel? I thought I'd settled in the Nokia 6/9 but they seem to keep putting the release dates back which fills me with no confidence at all. The Essential phone looks good but how long are they going to support it for?

I have to admit I'm leaning towards an original Pixel at the moment purely because I love the speed of the updates I get with my Nexus!

Anyone have anything to add? Help me!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd go with Pixel if you could, seems like the best parallel.

BlackBerry's slate phones is a competent choice for speed of security updates but NOT for speed of major OS updates. (ugh who knows when the DTEK's will see Nougat if ever)

I'd also consider Moto phones if you're going down-market, maybe with a custom ROM. But the 5X is a pretty hard device to replace these days with Google going high-end and other makers being meh with updates in one way or another.

Update: I replaced my 5X with a BlackBerry Priv and I love the hardware (too big though) but BlackBerry probably isn't updating it to Nougat + who knows when the security updates will run out so I'm mulling another move. Candidates right now are keeping the Priv since it has all the hardware features I want (not including the keyboard), the Moto Z Play or G5 Plus, an Xperia, Galaxy S5... not sure.

Last edited:

ElderHallow

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
I'd go with Pixel if you could, seems like the best parallel.

BlackBerry's slate phones is a competent choice for speed of security updates but NOT for speed of major OS updates. (ugh who knows when the DTEK's will see Nougat if ever)

I'd also consider Moto phones if you're going down-market, maybe with a custom ROM. But the 5X is a pretty hard device to replace these days with Google going high-end and other makers being meh with updates in one way or another.
If I hadn't had a horrendous time with Boot Loop issues I don't think I'd bother upgrading at all. I'd just keep my 5X.

But Google are going to stop supporting it soon anyway. Never mind looks like the Pixel then.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I went with a Galaxy S8 because of the great deal Samsung offered. I traded in an old phone and was able to get the S8 for $424.00. I really like the phone so far although I will admit I miss the "Pure Android" experience. My 5X bootlooped as well and Google wouldn't help me so based on that lousy support experience I decided to avoid any Google branded phones from here on in. LG fixed my phone quickly and for free but I'm reluctant to trust it now. Especially after hearing that you've had the issue multiple times. You participated in that thread so you know everything about it already.

I also like Motorola phones because of the clean Android install. But Moto's security patch and update history is miserable. My G5 Plus is still on the January patch. That is inexcusable in my opinion.

For me the 5X was the sweet spot. It didn't cost too much, got monthly security patches, got OS updates and could run betas if you so desired and gave the best plain vanilla Android experience. But Google has abandoned that market and no other manufacturer has stepped up to fill that gap as of yet. Probably because there aren't enough users like us that appreciate that combination of attributes. Meanwhile I will enjoy my unlocked S8.

Last edited:

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I also like Motorola phones because of the clean Android install. But Moto's security patch and update history is miserable. My G5 Plus is still on the January patch. That is inexcusable in my opinion.

I'm interested to hear what you'll think with how long Android O will take to get to the s8

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Oh I know Samsung has been lax at OS updates particularly for unlocked phones but that at least they provide security patches. My G5 is still on Jan while my S8 got a patch the day I got it and is on June. I guess as far as O goes, we'll see.

Not to mention my Maxx 2 which was slated to get Nougat still hasn't. That phone got sent off to Samsung as a trade.

Last edited:

ElderHallow

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
To be fair. I think if we want quick security updates and OS updates you have to stay as close to Google as possible.

I think I'm gonna plump for the Pixel.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
To be fair. I think if we want quick security updates and OS updates you have to stay as close to Google as possible.

I think I'm gonna plump for the Pixel.

Agreed. No other company will come close to that. My customer support experience has dampened my enthusiasm somewhat but you won't find me trying to talk you out of a Pixel.

I am more concerned about security patches than I am OS updates. I think OEMs have a lot of work to do where security patches are concerned.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
As I mentioned in my first post in this thread, not good. I have a G5 Plus that's still on the Jan patch. That is the only knock I have against Motorola. They have a good bare bones implementation of Android and the hardware is usually decent. But their update policies suck.

Ten Four

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
I'm thinking of abandoning Project Fi and moving to another AT&T MVNO that will mean I can simply move my SIM card to another phone if my Nexus 5X should start to boot loop or have other problems. So far, so good, with about a year running the 5X on Fi. The sad thing is I like the service, I love the phone, and I would stick around if there was something like the Nexus 5X2 available for around the same price with maybe some modest upgrades. My biggest complaint is modest battery life. I like to be able to run a full day from say 6am to midnight without a thought to battery problems, but it is more like 6am to 6pm and then start thinking about a charge somewhere, and if I start using the phone a lot I need a charge earlier than that. I might go for an iPhone SE like my wife recently bought from GoPhone for $199. Love the small size, and for her the battery lasts days.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Battery life with the 5X was never an issue for me but I'm no power user. The unlocked Moto G5 Plus is a great mid range device and is on sale for $249.00 at Amazon (4GB or ram and 64 GB of storage) if you can live with the lack of updates. It's as close to a Nexus software wise as you'll find. The lack of security patches is disappointing though.

Ten Four

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
I migrated over to AT&T Prepaid ($40 plan with autopay, joined my wife so we have two lines for $75) and it all went smoothly at the AT&T store. This means I can now quickly and easily move to another phone when I want/need to. Periodically, AT&T Prepaid (formerly GoPhone) has some pretty good deals on phones, like the iPhone SE for $199 now. In the past I purchased various GoPhones and was able to get many of them unlocked, which was helpful when traveling out of the country. However, I would prefer to purchase unlocked in the first place. The new Nokias look interesting, and I suspect we are going to see one soon with a really good Zeiss camera.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
If I wasn't on Verizon I would be looking at the Nokias as well. They seem well made and are promising to keep the phones patched. Plus it seems they will be running a clean iteration of Nougat. All good things.

Looks like the Nokia 8 broke cover and has a good camera.

AZbear

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
my 5X is working fine as well. I hope to keep it till the pixel 2 ships and then decide what to upgrade to.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech