How do I get rid of Google weather notifications!?

mkilpatr

Nov 6, 2017
Visit site
I want to scream! For the last couple of weeks I've been getting daily Google weather notifications in the top notification bar - signified by a small cloud symbol.

I don't want this but I can't seem to get rid of it.

I use Nova Launcher. Just now I activated Google Now as my home screen and rebooted, then found the "customise" option after swiping Google in from the left. I disabled the weather thing and then went back to Nova Launcher.

And then I got another damned weather notification! Please, how I do tell this thing never to come back? It's infuriating.

Michael

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You could try going to Settings -> Apps & notifications -> Notifications -> Notifications (with the bell symbol next to it) -> scroll down until you find News & Weather and select it -> set it to Off
(Note that this is the navigation path on Oreo)

Last edited:

mkilpatr

Nov 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks, but unfortunately there are no "news" or "weather" or "news and weather" entries in my settings! I'm baffled by my inability to find online a set of instruction in which the steps actually make sense for my device and operating system. There are many pages of stuff if a google search for getting rid of weather notifications but nothing that tallies with what I see on my Nexus.

My phone was recently updated to Android 8.0.0 with security patch level: 5 Oct 2017.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. I could post pictures of each step that I listed above if that would help.
I made mention of Oreo (8.0) because I'm pretty sure the steps are different on Nougat (7.x).

mkilpatr

Nov 6, 2017
Visit site
Yesterday I tried again by activating Google Now as the home launcher and tried disabling any settings relatiing to weather before returning to Nova Launcher. This morning I have not yet had a weather notification so I'm holding my breath waiting to see what happens!

M

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
FWIW I turned off the News & Weather notification (that I documented above) but it doesn't make any difference - I still get that notification. Go figure.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Ha! I think I've found the answer to your question.
When that annoying notification is shown if you long-press it there should be an expanded view that's shown which will allow you to turn it off directly (along with any of the other Google notifications). See attached screenshots.
5863e7d925859f946c6a481fb887a8cc.jpg
d4359a210315231b68a74908d69d7cd6.jpg

anon(5493437)

Jul 9, 2018
Visit site
My question is how can I turn this function back?
I am using Google Pixel 2XL with the latest update and July security patch also with the default launcher. I have turned on the Current weather condition in the Google app's notificaion menu but I still don't see the notification.
Any idea?

Fayk

Aug 26, 2018
Visit site
If you want Google notifications but not the weather notifications go onto the Weather app - Settings - Notifications - Your feed and disable the notification setting from there

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech