Oreo 8.1 on the Nexus 5X

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
If your phone is bootlooping, it's probably toast. My 5X bootlooped after a hard reset and had to be sent to LG for repair.

Last edited:

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I everyone on Oreo 8.1 now? My wife's 5x is still on 8.0 with the December patches. I noticed on the Factory images site (https://developers.google.com/android/images) that there is both an 8.0 and an 8.1 image with December patches for the 5x. It seems that when applying the December patches, some on this thread got the 8.1 image while my wife got the 8.0? Anyway, now that the January patches have been released, that image download site only shows 8.1 with January patches. Any idea why that has not been pushed to my wife's phone yet? Anyone else still on 8.0 with December patches?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I everyone on Oreo 8.1 now? My wife's 5x is still on 8.0 with the December patches. I noticed on the Factory images site (https://developers.google.com/android/images) that there is both an 8.0 and an 8.1 image with December patches for the 5x. It seems that when applying the December patches, some on this thread got the 8.1 image while my wife got the 8.0? Anyway, now that the January patches have been released, that image download site only shows 8.1 with January patches. Any idea why that has not been pushed to my wife's phone yet? Anyone else still on 8.0 with December patches?

My wife's 5X is still on 8.0 as well.

In our case, I think it has something to do with Google's Project Fi as our carrier. I got so fed up waiting for 8.1 on my Pixel 2 XL that I finally manually sideloaded it. Since my wife has no particular interest in her phone's OS, I am waiting it out to see when the OTA finally hits her.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
It hadn't been pushed to my 5X either so I just sideloaded it. I'm not sure why there has been such a delay. I just recently discovered how easy sideloading is on a Nexus device and have done it with a few updates.

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
OK, my wife just got it pushed to her OTA this morning. Android 8.1 with January patches. So, she's all caught up. Thanks!

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I've got 8.1 on mine. Frankly not crazy about some of the changes. I hate the new quick settings setup and the settings app. I can't find where they hid the ability to display/clear cached data. It's no longer in the storage screen.

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
My husband's 5X got the notification for the 8.1 update while we were on a cruise. He opted to just ignore the notification until we returned home as we only had mobile data available (Project Fi).

Downloaded the update via WiFi as soon as we were home again. So the 5X is now on 8.1 with the January security patch. Looks good and the 5X is working well.

StijnVVL

Feb 9, 2018
Visit site
Are you experiencing any battery issues?
I'm having major problems after the install of 8.1. Fast charging is also not working properly...

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon