A

Android Central Question

Nexus 5x struck in bootloop not able to boot any suggestions need help

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
My wife's 5X just did the same thing.

Cannot exit bootloop. Holding the power button for 10 seconds just causes it to go black for a few, then the Google logo, then the spinning wheels design which goes on (seemingly) forever. It's getting warm and seems like nothing can be done other than wait for the battery to die.

Wife said she came back in from a run and the phone was locked up in her running app and could not power off. She plugged it in to the charger and - not sure of the details here - it started to boot and has been looping ever since.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
My wife's 5X just did the same thing.

Cannot exit bootloop. Holding the power button for 10 seconds just causes it to go black for a few, then the Google logo, then the spinning wheels design which goes on (seemingly) forever. It's getting warm and seems like nothing can be done other than wait for the battery to die.

Wife said she came back in from a run and the phone was locked up in her running app and could not power off. She plugged it in to the charger and - not sure of the details here - it started to boot and has been looping ever since.
I am still surprised by how many 5X's suffer from this malady. LG replaced the main board (their words) in my 5X. I'm keeping it as a spare but I can't trust it anymore.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Just saw this @ 9to5google.com. Google is offering replacement for dead Nexus 5X phones for Project Fi users.

https://9to5google.com/2018/01/22/g...ce-dying-nexus-5x-units-for-project-fi-users/

Yes, but apparently you still have to be in warranty or subscribed to the device protection plan.

I called Google last Saturday to work on my wife's bricked 5X and, after some basic troubleshooting, was told that there was nothing they could do other than offer a Pixel XL at the *current* Fi sale price of $549 (no good as my wife doesn't like really big phones) or the Moto X4 for $299.

I ordered a Pixel 2; should be here in a couple of days.