nexus 5x battery issues

bossy202

Feb 7, 2018
Visit site
Hi everyone, nexus 5x on 8.1.0, with 2 battery issues.
The first, recently the battery performance just seems really poor. I'm having to charge my phone twice or sometimes 3 times a day, where I could nearly make it a whole day on one charge before. I'm wondering if it happened updating to 8.1?

The second is strange and I've noticed a few times now. I leave my phone to charge over night and on a rare occasion, it has fully charged and then discharged itself some amount while still plugged in, and still showing the charging indicator on the battery. I've attached a screen shot which hopefully explains this. 153544.jpg the discharge to 70% was while it was still plugged in.

Thanks in advance

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't see the charging indicator in the screenshot you posted so regardless of whether the phone was plugged in, it wasn't actually charging.
With that said it's troublesome that it went from 100% charge to 70% in a relatively short period of time.
You probably want to check out the charger and cable to make sure they're working properly. And try putting the phone in Safe mode once you go to bed and see how far the charge level has dropped when you get up - it should only be a few percent.
You could try AccuBattery https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.digibites.accubattery to get an idea of the battery health - it may be that it's shot and needs to be replaced.

bossy202

Feb 7, 2018
Visit site
thanks for the reply. yes I unplugged the charger just before I took the screenshot, so charging symbol isn't there. the problem with this charge fault is that it's very sporadic, so normally it's 100% when I take it off the charger in the morning. I'll give the battery a health check anyway

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Depending on who/what you believe about phone battery charging strategies, some resources suggest that:
- it's a bad idea to charge the battery to 100%
- it's a bad idea to leave the phone plugged in overnight
- it's a bad idea to discharge the battery past 20% or so
- it's a bad idea to use fast charging
Take any of that for what it's worth.

StijnVVL

Feb 9, 2018
Visit site
I am having serious battery drain issues as well after the recent update to 8.1.0. I am having fast charging issues too. Before the update I could get a full charge in about 50 mins, and this morning I plugged it in, it said "Charging rapidly (4 hours remaining)". Four. Hours. Remaining.

I'm absolutely certain this has something to do with the update to 8.1. I only hope they fix it soon.

breezeblocks

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
I am having serious battery drain issues as well after the recent update to 8.1.0. I am having fast charging issues too. Before the update I could get a full charge in about 50 mins, and this morning I plugged it in, it said "Charging rapidly (4 hours remaining)". Four. Hours. Remaining.

I'm absolutely certain this has something to do with the update to 8.1. I only hope they fix it soon.
Same here, 8.1.0 serious battery drain, read on another forum that pixels were also seeing battery drain after February's security patch so could be related.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Depending on who/what you believe about phone battery charging strategies, some resources suggest that:
- it's a bad idea to charge the battery to 100%
- it's a bad idea to leave the phone plugged in overnight
- it's a bad idea to discharge the battery past 20% or so
- it's a bad idea to use fast charging
Take any of that for what it's worth.

All of which are myths. Charge as much or as little as you need and as often as required. Batteries have multiple redundant fail-safes and protections against overcharge and overheating.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't say they're all myths. There's decent science and experience behind avoiding frequent deep discharges for lithium batteries. And fast charging does put more stress on the battery -- it's probably one of the reasons the Nexus 6P's batteries often started failing after a year or so (combined with the fact that Huawei tried to make the batteries too dense, to pack more capacity into a smaller space). Battery University is a good resource: Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University

phones 99

Aug 9, 2018
Visit site
If you're still having problems with you battery and you've tried all the software solutions including a restore of your phone, consider replacing the battery. There are many places your get get your battery swapped out wtih a brand new one. Google RxTech Repair Nexus 5x battery replacement. If you're good with fixing tech, maybe you can replace it yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37