Can anyone confirm the maximum MicroSD storage size the Nexus 6 will recognize and support via USB OTG? I've seen some devices indicate compatibility up to 64GB, while others tout 128GB. Thinking about getting a bigger card, but want to make sure it would work first...
    12-22-2014 01:00 PM
    Can anyone confirm the maximum MicroSD storage size the Nexus 6 will recognize and support via USB OTG? I've seen some devices indicate compatibility up to 64GB, while others tout 128GB. Thinking about getting a bigger card, but want to make sure it would work first...
    I took a look around and don't see anything concrete in terms of confirmation as to what the maximum MicroSD size that will work with the Nexus 6. I've seen people using 32/64 GB solutions, but nothing with 128 GB. If you are going to try 128 GB and get it working, please update us.
    12-22-2014 06:42 PM
    I took a look around and don't see anything concrete in terms of confirmation as to what the maximum MicroSD size that will work with the Nexus 6. I've seen people using 32/64 GB solutions, but nothing with 128 GB. If you are going to try 128 GB and get it working, please update us.
    Thinking about the Sandisk Ultra 128GB Micro SD, about $100. There are faster ones, but I don't see myself needing anything more blazingly fast, especially since the Meenova reader I'd be using with the Nexus 6 caps out right at that card's peak speeds. Though I'd probably pick up a USB 3.0 card reader ($7) for faster transfers to PC...

Just trying to decide if, presuming the device will recognize the 128GB card, it's worth it - the same card in 64GB size is only $33 - ⅓ the price.

Edit - looks like these Sandisk cards carry a 10 year warranty (which is certainly far longer than I'd ever be using it), but Lexar makes a substantially faster card in both sizes with lifetime warranty and including a 3.0 reader for only a few dollars more (64GB for $44, 128GB for $120). I've used Sandisk in the past and know their quality is great; can anyone speak to experience with Lexar? (I've certainly heard of them and don't automatically distrust their quality like I would some of the no-name brands out their for ½ the price).
    12-22-2014 11:40 PM
    I haven't tried any microSD cards, but I can confirm the SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 64GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive works just fine, if that's an option. Around $34 on Amazon.

Largest MicroSD (via USB OTG)?-img_20141223_073234.jpg
    12-23-2014 06:47 AM
    I haven't tried any microSD cards, but I can confirm the SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 64GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive works just fine, if that's an option. Around $34 on Amazon.
    The type of connected flash media isn't the differentiating point between different devices - it's more the size of storage it can manage.

For a standalone flash drive, Patriot's 64GB MicroUSB Drive is about perfect. Connects directly to to the phone on one end with Micro USB, or to a PC on the other with USB 3.0 - no adapter needed. At $30 on Amazon, that's a heck of a deal - guessing it's a holiday special since Priceblink has it at over $40 everywhere else it shows.

Largest MicroSD (via USB OTG)?-img_20141223_100335.jpg
    12-23-2014 09:09 AM
    Thinking about the Sandisk Ultra 128GB Micro SD, about $100. There are faster ones, but I don't see myself needing anything more blazingly fast, especially since the Meenova reader I'd be using with the Nexus 6 caps out right at that card's peak speeds. Though I'd probably pick up a USB 3.0 card reader ($7) for faster transfers to PC...

Just trying to decide if, presuming the device will recognize the 128GB card, it's worth it - the same card in 64GB size is only $33 - ⅓ the price.

Edit - looks like these Sandisk cards carry a 10 year warranty (which is certainly far longer than I'd ever be using it), but Lexar makes a substantially faster card in both sizes with lifetime warranty and including a 3.0 reader for only a few dollars more (64GB for $44, 128GB for $120). I've used Sandisk in the past and know their quality is great; can anyone speak to experience with Lexar? (I've certainly heard of them and don't automatically distrust their quality like I would some of the no-name brands out their for ½ the price).
    I've had Lexar memory cards in the past and have had no issues with those. The added memory would be nice to have, but if it's a safer bet to get the 64GB then I would go that route.
    Jeremy8000 likes this.
    12-23-2014 11:45 AM
    I went ahead and ordered the SanDisk Ultra 64GB MicroSDXC yesterday for $32.99. Figured the 128GB, even if it would work, isn't worth triple the price at this point.

Then, as if the universe was commending me for rational thought, Amazon put SanDisk memory on a 1-day sale today, making that card (for which Amazon immediately refunded me the difference (upon my request)) only $25.

If you use SD or MicroSD in or with any devices, it's a pretty good sale they're running.

Amazon's "Deal of the Day" (good till 12:00AM PT, 12/31/14):

SanDisk Ultra 128GB UHS-I/Class 10 Micro SDXC $89.99
    SanDisk Ultra 64GB UHS-I/Class 10 Micro SDXC $24.95
    SanDisk Ultra 32GB UHS-I/Class 10 Micro SDHC $12.95
    Assorted SD cards and flash drives as well.
    12-30-2014 02:14 PM
    You could also try this microSD card reader Meenova.com, Welcome and add a 128GB microSD to your device. I saw this on Kickstarter when they build V1.0 and they are on a newer V2.0 design.

Plus considering the price point which is about $12 for the Dash Micro, Silicone Carry Case and a USB to MicroUSB adapter, pretty good deal and you can buy extra silicone cases, adapters etc. I will be picking up one for my upcoming Nexus 6 and if I go Nexus 9 I might need a second one.
    drenfree likes this.
    03-21-2015 02:19 PM
    You could also try this microSD card reader Meenova.com, Welcome and add a 128GB microSD to your device. I saw this on Kickstarter when they build V1.0 and they are on a newer V2.0 design.

Plus considering the price point which is about $12 for the Dash Micro, Silicone Carry Case and a USB to MicroUSB adapter, pretty good deal and you can buy extra silicone cases, adapters etc. I will be picking up one for my upcoming Nexus 6 and if I go Nexus 9 I might need a second one.
    Yes, that's the card reader I referenced using earlier in the thread. But the question still remains whether the Nexus 6 will recognize a 128GB card, since some phones only support up to 64GB. The Meenova is great, though - stays on my keyring always at the ready, and the Sandisk 64GB has worked fine for me. On a related note, reputable manufacturers' 128GB cards are still running in the $100+ range.
    Raptor007 likes this.
    03-22-2015 01:16 AM
    I am sorry to say, but Google has pretty much killed off support for MicroSD with KitKat OS and forward. They see no value in it given their focus on the cloud for storage which I do not feel is an acceptable alternative when for $100 spent once you can have 128GB in your pocket vs how much per month.

That said I would check out the Meenova site and order a 128GB microSD from Amazon.com worse case it doesn't work and you have to send it back. You know what better yet I will very likely be ordering a 128GB microSD (Samsung) card and a Meenova or two to have on hand and will test it out and report back. May be a week or two since I still don't have my Nexus 6 yet. Waiting on Motorola.
    03-24-2015 08:47 PM
    Yes, that's the card reader I referenced using earlier in the thread. But the question still remains whether the Nexus 6 will recognize a 128GB card, since some phones only support up to 64GB. The Meenova is great, though - stays on my keyring always at the ready, and the Sandisk 64GB has worked fine for me. On a related note, reputable manufacturers' 128GB cards are still running in the $100+ range.
    Quick question about the Meenova since you have one. Can you transfer photos and files from your phone to the Meenova card reader. Say if you are on vacation and want to take a ton of pics but don't have good reception or don't trust cloud storage could you put them on the card and not have to worry about space?
    03-24-2015 08:48 PM
    Quick question about the Meenova since you have one. Can you transfer photos and files from your phone to the Meenova card reader. Say if you are on vacation and want to take a ton of pics but don't have good reception or don't trust cloud storage could you put them on the card and not have to worry about space?
    Absolutely, though you need a file manager (I use ES File Explorer).

I've actually been completely fine with the 64GB card, but will look forward to reading the results of your testing it with a 128GB when you have all your gear in (and you're going to love your N6!) as there's no such thing as too much storage - and prices will inevitably drop.
    03-26-2015 09:12 AM