Hello,

New owner of Nexus 6 from Bell. Sales Guy told me I am already unlocked from store.
    How do I confirm as I want to Root next?

Then, Once I use chainfire to root, must I install a rom overtop or can I just use Lollipop?

TIA
    02-23-2015 12:48 PM
    Hi venom:

Once you root you can still use the ROM and kernel that you have installed right now.

If you need help with anything else feel free to ask.

V.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Dubbayoo and barriedog like this.
    02-23-2015 01:13 PM
    How do I confirm
    Put in a SIM from a different carrier. If it asks for an unlock code, it's not unlocked.

as I want to Root next?
    SIM locking has nothing to do with rooting.

Then, Once I use chainfire to root, must I install a rom overtop or can I just use Lollipop?
    You don't install ROMs "overtop", you install them instead of. IOW, any ROM you'd install would replace the current one. It would already be rooted (I've never seen a custom ROM that wasn't - so you would have wasted your effort in rooting the stock ROM, which you then wiped out.

If you're going to install another ROM because you want that other ROM, just install it. If all you want is root, just root. (Rooting is basically just copying a file to the phone's system area. [The only reason it's a problem is that you have to be rooted to do it, which is what you're trying to do, so Catch 21-1/2 - not quite Catch 22 because there's usually some hole in every version that can be exploited to temporarily gain root.] Copying that file to the phone, then writing another ROM on top of it, wipes it out - and that file is already in the ROM you're installing.)

If you do decide to install a different ROM for some specific purpose, first see if there are apps that would do the same thing. It's easier to switch between 3 or 4 launchers as your mood changes, then to reflash 3 or 4 different ROMs just because they use different launchers.
    02-23-2015 01:17 PM
    Hi venom:

Once you root you can still use the ROM and kernel that you have installed right now.

If you need help with anything else feel free to ask.

V.

Posted via the Android Central App
    This. You can also use WugFresh's Nexus Root Toolkit (really nice stuff) to root, backup, etc.
    02-23-2015 01:18 PM