hey guys! Im looking into rooting my N6 on my own but I lack the expertise, is there a 'rooting for dummies' kind of guide?? I've been reading around but i get kind of lost in translation, can someone help me?? what OS is easiest to handle that does not require constant upgrading..
    10-01-2015 02:17 PM
    If I'm being honest, I wouldn't get into rooting unless you know what you're doing because things can go wrong pretty fast. I've bricked a device before and it isn't fun......LOL

I would look up some YouTube videos first so you can see the process before biting the bullet
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-01-2015 02:21 PM
    This might be a good place to start:

Rootjunky's Nexus 6 NRT Unlock bootloader, Root, And TWRP Recovery all in one Tool

But there's this video, too:

Nexus Root Toolkit Guide! (Nexus 6)

And you can grab the Toolkit here:
    Nexus Root Toolkit v2.0.5 | WugFresh

One note, though: If you'll be using a Windows 8 machine, you might run into problems installing drivers.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-01-2015 04:08 PM
    what OS is easiest to handle that does not require constant upgrading..
    Then I'd suggest not rooting your device and keep the stock OS. One of the great things about installing a custom rom is that updates, tweaks and bug fixes are always being released. That the joy of open source programming. If that's something that doesn't appeal to you, then you're going to be better off leaving your device alone. Plus, you won't be able to install any OTA updates that get pushed out by your carrier.
    10-03-2015 01:22 PM
    I might as as well...what extra features were you looking for? Because, for what it is worth, rooting is fairly simple. However, those "simple" mistakes can be the most costly to you.

On another note...you shouldn't be afraid to get down and dirty. Just read, read, read, and read before you do anything. There are many pages and threads with basic rooting instructions. I actually advise against the use of toolkits without any knowledge of what you are doing. The reason being is that when (not if, but when) things go sour, you need some form of prior knowledge to know what to do next. Otherwise, you will be restricted in asking for help, and you will be at the mercy of those who are able & willing to help.
    10-06-2015 08:19 PM