I'm still on Lollipop mostly because too lazy to go through the learning curve of backing up/rooting/unlocking the bootloader again (still don't know the difference between them).

Are there any new tutorials that can guide me through how to back up all my data, then root and unlock the phone?

I really need to upgrade because my 6 is sluggish as hell (the camera is so slow I don't even use it anymore).
    01-13-2016 06:18 PM
    Helium is a good non root option for backing up apps and app data. You can save your pics, music, etc. to Mega or Drive.

You'll need to unlock the bootloader before rooting. I suggest going to xda and reading up on manually unlocking the bootloader, flashing twrp and rooting the N6 if you don't know the difference. It's better to learn as much as possible so you don't brick your N6.
    01-15-2016 04:04 PM
    Helium has not been updated since July 2015 and I've seen instances of some problems using it with Marshmallow. For a no root backup app you might try MyBackup; Pro:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ackupPro&hl=en

You could just put your Nexus 6 back to stock. It will update to 6.0.1 itself then.. You can then root again - or not..
    01-15-2016 05:22 PM
    too lazy to go through the learning curve of backing up/rooting/unlocking the bootloader again
    Even if you don't root, you really should back up your device - what happens if your phone is lost/stolen, or it breaks etc?
    Backup is really not that complicated. Think about what you want backed up (in other words, if you got a new phone, what would you need on it besides the OS)?
    For me, it boils down to this list
    • Apps
    • App Settings
    • Homescreen layout (positioning of icons)
    • Emails
    • Photos/Videos
    • Music
    • Authenticator codes

Now, let's look at options for these.
    • App list : Since Lollipop, Google gives you the option to reinstall all the apps that you had on your old phone, along with their specific position on the Google launcher - so backup may not be needed. You don't need to back up the app itself - since those are available on the play store anyway
    • App Settings - all Google apps store their settings on the cloud. For 3rd party apps, if there are custom settings, look at an option to export those to a file, and back those up to the cloud (I have 3 apps that I need to do these)
    • Homescreen layout (positioning of icons) - Google Launcher will restore those to the right positions (you'll need to add widgets back though). If you use custom launcher, export those settings and back those up to the cloud.
    • Emails - no backup needed for actual Emails - you'll need to know your password (and app-specific passwords or 2 factor codes)
    • Photos/Videos - I've set these to auto-back up to Google Photos - so no backup needed.
    • Music - I store it on Google Music, so no backup needed
    • Authenticator codes - this is kinda tricky. If you use Authy, you are good, since it stores on the cloud. If you use Google Authenticator, you will need to either rescan the QR codes (so back those up somewhere), or log into your google account, and select the option to switch to new phone. As a backup, I have the same accounts set up on my tablet's authenticator app - just in case

Some people like to back up their SMS history & Phone call log - I don't care for those, but there are apps on the play store that will back those up as well.
    You may have other things to back up - but the concept is the same.
    If you are rooted, you can always use Titanium backup and avoid all these steps. While I am rooted, I don't really see the need to use TiBu anymore.
    01-19-2016 09:38 AM