Google Nexus 6P USB-C car chargers?

opuntia2

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I got the monoprice. I didn't do any amprere testing (because that's been done), but for a kind of real world test, during my 20 minute drive to work this morning I had the 6P plugged to the monoprice using a Google USB-C to USB-C cable while running Google Maps navigation and listening to a podcast over bluetooth. With the screen on the entire 20 minutes my battery did charge from 89% to 99%.

I've read some comments about folks actually loosing charge while using the GPS so it's good to see that this charger can actually charge the phone in real world usage.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I got the monoprice. I didn't do any amprere testing (because that's been done), but for a kind of real world test, during my 20 minute drive to work this morning I had the 6P plugged to the monoprice using a Google USB-C to USB-C cable while running Google Maps navigation and listening to a podcast over bluetooth. With the screen on the entire 20 minutes my battery did charge from 89% to 99%.

I've read some comments about folks actually loosing charge while using the GPS so it's good to see that this charger can actually charge the phone in real world usage.

My Vinsic should be here Friday, I may end up picking up a Monoprice one as well. According to a friend of Benson's (see the link below) Tronsmart is supposed to be releasing a dedicated USB-C charger (after Benson found their type C/ A combo charger had issues). From the sound of it it's not too far off. But I imagine with this type C 3A standard being relatively new and having a small userbase, it'll be awhile before we see the bigger companies providing compliant products.

https://bmcclure937.wordpress.com/2015/11/17/tronsmart-usb-type-c-car-charger/

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I'd be a little worried that it's like the Tronsmart charger with a different case. The basic operation is the same (captive USB-C cable and a USB-A port with amperage being 3A for the C and 2.4A for the A), so I'd be worried that it operates the same.

beaner b

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
I'd be a little worried that it's like the Tronsmart charger with a different case. The basic operation is the same (captive USB-C cable and a USB-A port with amperage being 3A for the C and 2.4A for the A), so I'd be worried that it operates the same.

Sure, safe to say all the new chargers are suspect until tested.
But Tronsmart doesn't list 3A for the C. They list both ports as 5V/2.4A. Blitzwolf lists their captive C as 5V/3A.
So the only similarity between the 2 chargers that I can see, is that they both have a captive C, which is what I really want anyway.
I'm not buying one single C to C cable anytime soon. Between myself, everyone in my home and work, there's just way too many non-C devices and chargers and laptops.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Sure, safe to say all the new chargers are suspect until tested.
But Tronsmart doesn't list 3A for the C. They list both ports as 5V/2.4A. Blitzwolf lists their captive C as 5V/3A.
So the only similarity between the 2 chargers that I can see, is that they both have a captive C, which is what I really want anyway.
I'm not buying one single C to C cable anytime soon. Between myself, everyone in my home and work, there's just way too many non-C devices and chargers and laptops.

I don't quite understand why having a captive C cable is better than a separate C & A port. They'll act the same (captive vs removable) and that C to C cable can be used elsewhere in a wall charger if need be. Plus, for my needs, I leave the charger plugged in and being able to remove all cables when not in use is a plus IMO, that way there aren't cables lying around when not in use. But that's just me.

I went and picked up a variety of cables (c-c 2.0 & 3.1, a-c) since that's the direction they're going in, it's not like I won't use them in the future.

beaner b

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't quite understand why having a captive C cable is better than a separate C & A port. They'll act the same (captive vs removable) and that C to C cable can be used elsewhere in a wall charger if need be. Plus, for my needs, I leave the charger plugged in and being able to remove all cables when not in use is a plus IMO, that way there aren't cables lying around when not in use. But that's just me.

I went and picked up a variety of cables (c-c 2.0 & 3.1, a-c) since that's the direction they're going in, it's not like I won't use them in the future.

The theory I’m going with for now is that the least amount of cables that I have to keep track of, the better. But yea, having that cable always dangling is the one drawback I don’t like.
Between 2 vehicles, my workplace, travel, my laptop, my other phones and the girls iphones, there's a lot of type A ports and cables around, and really, until I pick up a laptop with a type C port I don't see a good reason to start adding C-C cables to the collection.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Then again I suppose a car charger that can rapid charge with 2 devices plugged in would be a good reason.

Except that this one can't really. The amperage isn't 3A+2.4A when using both ports. The devices may show rapid charging, but that's more a result of the pullup resistor in the cable. If the actual amperage is less than 2A, you probably won't see actual rapid/quick charging. For it to actually be fast charging for both ports, the charger would need to rated around 5.4A (3A for the C port & 2.4A for the A port). I'm sure they'll get there at some point, but for now, this will work and we're not out too much when those newer ones come out.

beaner b

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Except that this one can't really.
right. I was just saying that for me to start bringing C-C cables into the mix, the car charger would have to rapid charge 2 devices at the same time.
but now thinking further on this whole thing, I bet all the new third party dual-port wall chargers rated 5.4A will come with type C for the 3A port.
so maybe I'll be stocking up on the C-C sooner than I wanted to.
another thing, if 2016 is going to be the year of the type C, are wall and car chargers gonna start coming with dual C ports? christ.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
right. I was just saying that for me to start bringing C-C cables into the mix, the car charger would have to rapid charge 2 devices at the same time.
but now thinking further on this whole thing, I bet all the new third party dual-port wall chargers rated 5.4A will come with type C for the 3A port.
so maybe I'll be stocking up on the C-C sooner than I wanted to.
another thing, if 2016 is going to be the year of the type C, are wall and car chargers gonna start coming with dual C ports? christ.

I doubt they'll make chargers with only type C ports. While it may be the new thing, there are still a ton of legacy devices that don't use type C, so unless it's a single port charger, I'd imagine there will be at least one type A port. Now with all of the multiple port chargers available on places like Amazon, you could see a mix of 2 type C ports and 2 type A ports on a 4 port charger. The only problem they may run into there would be on car chargers, where that many ports could have an amperage rating higher than the 12V port in the car (a 4 port with 2 C & 2 A ports would have a rating of 10.8A, and I don't recall if those 12V ports are rated for 10 or 15A).

Just like with every other standards change, the first few years will be chaos, but once everyone gets on board it'll settle out. The only difference was that we started out with everyone doing their own thing so far as charging/data ports (some changing them every year), then we went to miniUSB, then microUSB, and now USB-C. It'll probably take at least 2-3 years for things to go back to normal (people upgrading from devices with legacy microUSB ports to newer type C ports), but that will also depend on how quickly OEMS make the switch on their devices as well. For Apple users it was easy since the only phone available to them made the switch to lightning port. With Android and it's many OEMS, some may make the switch sooner than others, and those that don't will slow the adoption rate.

beaner b

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't recall if those 12V ports are rated for 10 or 15A).
yea don't know. probably have to check the fuse, right? might vary.
It'll probably take at least 2-3 years for things to go back to normal
... and then they'll change the standard again.
I'm thinking all the high end phones in 2016 should come with type C. Apple might keep their lightning port on the 7 but should still drop type A from their chargers. so, I'm saying by the end of next year we'll see some dual type C only chargers.
money.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site

I'm thinking all the high end phones in 2016 should come with type C. Apple might keep their lightning port on the 7 but should still drop type A from their chargers. so, I'm saying by the end of next year we'll see some dual type C only chargers.
money.

It will be interesting to see what Apple does with the iPhone 7. They have switched to USB-C for their MacBook, including charging, and signs point to Apple giving in and possibly replacing their lightning cable with USB-C on future devices.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

money.

Apparently the range is anywhere from 10-20A depending on the vehicle.

I still don't see them going with only type C. Beyond phones, there are still plenty of other devices that use Type A and microUSB to charge. And that's going to take quite awhile before all of those are replaced. I mean there are tablets, mifi's, BT speakers, etc., etc. It's going to take quite awhile for all those devices to make the switch as well. I see them being anywhere from 1-3 years behind phones. I imagine if the rumors are true and Huawei does the new Nexus 7 (for 2016) it will most likely come with a Type C port. Apple on the other hand I can see being pigheaded enough to not go that way. They've invested so much into Lightning that they'll keep it around for awhile. They were the ones who simply offered adaptors when they were told they needed to switch to microUSB in Europe or face fines. And by that time the 30 pin connector had been around for quite awhile, so they had already paid for the R&D on it a few times over. But who knows, maybe Cook will see it's better to go with the flow rather than fight it.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: USB-C car chargers?

what is TYPE A and to type C usb cables??????

"Type-A" refers to a cable that plugs into the type of USB port that's standard on many computers. It's rectangular.

The "Type-C" port is oval and is a new design, the cable CAN be the same on both ends rather than an A on one end and a B, Micro or Mini on the other. The type-C port is also reversible, making plugging it in MUCH easier in the dark.

A "type-A to type-C cable" is one that can plug into a computer or other older device on one end and a newer phone (such as either of the new Nexus devices) on the other end. The recent Retina MacBook from Apple also uses type-C.

The Nexus 6P comes with both a C-C and an A-C cable, though the A-C cable is rather short.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
It will be interesting to see what Apple does with the iPhone 7. They have switched to USB-C for their MacBook, including charging, and signs point to Apple giving in and possibly replacing their lightning cable with USB-C on future devices.

that's exactly what we need ... the usb-c market would explode if the iPhone had it. i was in a VZ store today and the dude said 90% of phones they sell are iPhones, and the other 10% is mostly Turbo 2 & S6. Obviously we all know the number is high, and this store was in an affluent area, but 90% kinda surprised me. I would've guessed more Notes/S6 Edge than 10%

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
that's exactly what we need ... the usb-c market would explode if the iPhone had it. i was in a VZ store today and the dude said 90% of phones they sell are iPhones, and the other 10% is mostly Turbo 2 & S6. Obviously we all know the number is high, and this store was in an affluent area, but 90% kinda surprised me. I would've guessed more Notes/S6 Edge than 10%

While I don't doubt that the iPhone sells better than Android, he also could've just been saying that to try and get you into an iPhone. Whenever I've gone in a Verizon store they always push the iPhone, then Galaxy phones, and then other Android devices. They've never even mentioned Windows or BlackBerry devices unless you ask about them. When I went for my first smartphone, I was actually split between a Storm 2 and a Touch Pro 2, and the rep was pushing hard for me to go with a Droid. This was also before they had the iPhone. After that, it was all Apple all the time. When I've mentioned I wasn't interested in Apple, they've looked at me like I had a screw loose. I don't know if they get a better commission due to the higher cost of the device or what. That's why I do my homework before I go in so I know what I want rather than what is in their best interest.

I will say that Apple moving from lightning to type C would get more players into the type C accessories, but I'd be surprised if they drop their own version to go with a standard. They haven't in their past, and I doubt they will in the future.

beaner b

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
I will say that Apple moving from lightning to type C would get more players into the type C accessories, but I'd be surprised if they drop their own version to go with a standard. They haven't in their past, and I doubt they will in the future.

they don't need to move away from lightning to have an effect on accessories. if they get rid of the 3.5 headphone port, as it's been rumored, they'll certainly keep the lightning for audio. but that's only on the phone side. they're already moving towards type C in a big way. the 2015 macbook is type C only.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc