If you're getting the 6P -- Why (or why not)?

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
we've been talking about it for months, we've seen the pics and know most the features and specs.

assuming they're all true, who's actually getting it? and what would kill the deal?

for me it'll come down to battery, if that 3450 mAh rumor is true, I'll preorder. anything less and I might wait to see some reviews, and consider getting a second Nexus 6.

Last edited:

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
A good camera will be a deciding factor.

Battery life on Nexus devices have never been great. Just look at the Nexus 6.

Also, having Quick Charging will be a factor.

Moto XPE

kalookakoo

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Re: Who's getting the 6p?

Artem confirmed the 3450mah battery, so all I care about now is display quality. Im sure the camera will be decent which is all I need.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site

Deciding factor for me will be a dramatic reveal of some awesome functionality (either existing or pending) related to that backside camera bump. If it's just a decorative lump of plastic, I'm out. (Unless the unheard of happens and every reviewer gets tongue tied singing the praises of the phone.)

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I am. I assume you meant 3450 battery rather than 1450 :)

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

yeah I must've fast forwarded to 2030, when phones will be as thick as a credit card and batteries will be just as small ... but hey, they'll be "efficient" right?! talk about a buzz word we're all sick of!!

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

A good camera will be a deciding factor.

Battery life on Nexus devices have never been great. Just look at the Nexus 6.

Also, having Quick Charging will be a factor.

Moto XPE

I'm getting solid battery life on my Nexus 6, over 5 hours SOT ... mine is less than a month old though so it's not really that fair to judge. I'll most likely replace my battery in 12 months, something I always do or pay to have done with all my phones ... money well spent IMO

and yeah, I'd be extremely disappointed if it didn't have quick charge ... I probably wouldn't have gotten it anyway, but the OP2 was an instant turnoff since it didn't have it for whatever reason

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

I just hate the fact that Google didn't at least let Huawei do its thing with regards to the size of the battery. With that hump, I'd think they could've fit 4,000 mAh, or at least the size of the Moto X Play.

Posted via the Android Central App

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

Deciding factor for me will be a dramatic reveal of some awesome functionality (either existing or pending) related to that backside camera bump. If it's just a decorative lump of plastic, I'm out. (Unless the unheard of happens and every reviewer gets tongue tied singing the praises of the phone.)

just curious, do u use a case? aesthetics almost never is the deciding factor for me personally, and I'd think a case, or the black version would make it less noticeable.

that said, I'm also anxious to see if it has any functionality, hopefully so.

BTW the phone where aesthetics ruined it for me was the M10. the black bar is just to much, and I was disappointed it didn't come close to resembling the render from evleaks.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

I'm waiting to see the reviews of the camera, screen, and hopefully it'll have wireless charging.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

I'm getting solid battery life on my Nexus 6, over 5 hours SOT ... mine is less than a month old though so it's not really that fair to judge. I'll most likely replace my battery in 12 months, something I always do or pay to have done with all my phones ... money well spent IMO

and yeah, I'd be extremely disappointed if it didn't have quick charge ... I probably wouldn't have gotten it anyway, but the OP2 was an instant turnoff since it didn't have it for whatever reason

That's some great battery life you're getting, congrats. That Expansys deal is tempting, but people's personal battery results tend to be different. I'm wary of lemons from anywhere other than Google or Amazon. Anything is possible, though.

Posted via the Android Central App

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

Nope, the size killed it. It's not aimed at people like me who wants a phone, not a phablet. Nothing wrong with that.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Nope, the size killed it. It's not aimed at people like me who wants a phone, not a phablet. Nothing wrong with that.

I'd love to know the numbers these OEMs must have to conclude it's not worth making a smaller phone with high end specs. do they simply not want to go near 4.7" cause they know that space is dominated by iPhone?

hopefully you guys will get more options in 2016. I like stock and larger displays, so I'm happy nexus went with 2 phones this year, plus there's the MXP. still not a whole lot of choice, but more than what you've got.

hopefully HTC will kick off 2016 right and set the trend for compact versions. they won't match up spec for spec obviously, but so long as they fit to scale, that's really all that matters.

oh, did u end up tradng in your Moto Play? if so why, and what do you plan to get next?

robert7107

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

Won't be till December after Xmas more than likely but yes if.....
Rumors are true and its rocking a 3450 battery, but not less than 3300 and a 5.7 inch screen and if the 64gb is under $600.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Won't be till December after Xmas more than likely but yes if.....
Rumors are true and its rocking a 3450 battery, but not less than 3300 and a 5.7 inch screen and if the 64gb is under $600.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

the 820 will be after Xmas? their official press release, which was announced a couple Mondays ago, only have a date of "1H 2016" ... that's it. that can mean early January, late June, or anywhere in between.

one thing I think we can all agree on, is I don't expect them to give in to the pressure from OEMs and release it before it's 100% ready. I'm anxious to see how the 617 performs this year.

in a world of mid range phones, that's gonna be an extremely important chip and hopefully it'll perform to standards.

I expect 2 things in 2016, bigger, more efficient batteries, and better processors.

I don't care about innovation at this point, just do what you do better. that means not having to worry about my battery if I go to the gym after work and stream music for an hour, and certainly not hearing words like "throttling" ... I'm sick off that flippin word!!

810, overheating, batteries, etc ... in the real world I'm watching my son play ball in a few minutes, then playing some tennis followed by some NFL ... wife and son going to her sisters, so I got the place to myself. big screen in front, laptop in lap, nexus 6 in hand, and not a care in the world other than fantasy football ... life is good today!

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

I'd love to know the numbers these OEMs must have to conclude it's not worth making a smaller phone with high end specs. do they simply not want to go near 4.7" cause they know that space is dominated by iPhone?

hopefully you guys will get more options in 2016. I like stock and larger displays, so I'm happy nexus went with 2 phones this year, plus there's the MXP. still not a whole lot of choice, but more than what you've got.

hopefully HTC will kick off 2016 right and set the trend for compact versions. they won't match up spec for spec obviously, but so long as they fit to scale, that's really all that matters.

oh, did u end up tradng in your Moto Play? if so why, and what do you plan to get next?

Yeah, I think you're spot on there. iPhone avoidance is probably the primary reason for a lack of 5" and under devices with decent specifications. Very frustrating.

Yes I did. Returned it for a full refund after using it for just under 2 weeks. Eventually decided that it was a little too large for my liking, mostly to do with the pocketability more than the in-hand feel (it was nice and ergonomic with smooth curves and small bezels).

So I've decided that I don't want anything that's noticeably bigger than the Nexus 5 (2013). That unfortunately includes the Nexus 5X. I've therefore preordered the only non-iPhone option available in the UK; Sony Xperia Z5 Compact :)

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I think you're spot on there. iPhone avoidance is probably the primary reason for a lack of 5" and under devices with decent specifications. Very frustrating.

Yes I did. Returned it for a full refund after using it for just under 2 weeks. Eventually decided that it was a little too large for my liking, mostly to do with the pocketability more than the in-hand feel (it was nice and ergonomic with smooth curves and small bezels).

So I've decided that I don't want anything that's noticeably bigger than the Nexus 5 (2013). That unfortunately includes the Nexus 5X. I've therefore preordered the only non-iPhone option available in the UK; Sony Xperia Z5 Compact :)

oh nice, I don't venture to the Sony boards much, but I'll check it out ... check back here and let us know how you like it.

and even though it's probably the only option, it's still a great one. if stock android didn't exist. I'd definitely consider the Z5 Premium ... Sony does batteries well, so their always a contender IMO

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

for me the only downfall is the 5.7" screen. ill probably get one to replace my s6 as i miss stock android but ill have to hold it and see it in person first. for me its all about the feel in hand and design.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

oh nice, I don't venture to the Sony boards much, but I'll check it out ... check back here and let us know how you like it.

and even though it's probably the only option, it's still a great one. if stock android didn't exist. I'd definitely consider the Z5 Premium ... Sony does batteries well, so their always a contender IMO

Sony's moving ever closer to pure Android with every passing year. The Z5's come with a very stock-like UI. I took a look at my younger brother's new Sony Xperia E4 the other day and loved seeing so many customisable battery saving features baked into the OS. Now that the Google Now Launcher is available on virtually any and every phone, there's not much keeping me tethered to the Nexus lineup. I've come to realise that most of the features in Marshmallow I'm looking forward to the most are features that are already baked into other OEM's custom UI's. Marshmallow is just Google playing catch up and fixing bugs (both very important nonetheless). As long as it stays faithful to Material Design and doesn't impact performance I've decided that I'm OK with a custom non-AOSP ROM. Sony also has a great track record with updates for the Z series, better than any other OEM, bar Motorola and the Nexus lineup.

Every review so far has said that Z5 Compact has great battery life, so I'm pretty hyped :)

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

I am also worried about the 5.7" screen.

I do a lot of traveling, walk around a lot with my phone in my pocket. I also walk a lot while looking down at my phone.

I wish it was 5.5"

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan