Usb C Chargers for New nexus devices?

ihtc

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Fast Charging part is that part of the qualcomm quick charge spec? IE we can use a qualcomm 2.0 compatible charger and a usb to usb type C charging. I think usb C USB PD 2.0 and quick charge are different?

EDIT: Looks like it should be the qualcomm quick charge spec. USB Type C cable with a compatible quick charge 2.0 wall adapter should do the trick.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
So I have a bunch of quick charge 2.0 chargers. If I get some USB-A to USB-C cables will this charge the 6P using quick charge? Or does the charger itself have to have USB-C build in?

hyminameisderek

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
So I have a bunch of quick charge 2.0 chargers. If I get some USB-A to USB-C cables will this charge the 6P using quick charge? Or does the charger itself have to have USB-C build in?

I would imagine this will work. The USB standard is in the cable not the adapter, I can't confirm but I can't think of why it wouldn't work.

Last edited:

hyminameisderek

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Do we know if it will be USB-C 3.1 or will it be USB 2.0? Does that make a difference when charging the device? I was looking on the product description and it does not say. Im looking to buy some chargers and want to know which cable/chargers that I need.

USB-C - The All-in-One Data, Video and Power Cable

You would notice a difference in USB 3.1 and 2.0 in data transfer rates. The Nexus devices support USB 2.0 and fast charge. 3.1 is compatible with 2.0, might as well buy 3.1 to be future proof.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Fast Charging part is that part of the qualcomm quick charge spec? IE we can use a qualcomm 2.0 compatible charger and a usb to usb type C charging. I think usb C USB PD 2.0 and quick charge are different?

EDIT: Looks like it should be the qualcomm quick charge spec. USB Type C cable with a compatible quick charge 2.0 wall adapter should do the trick.

Looks like there's still some debate. http://forums.androidcentral.com/ne...-has-fast-charge-technology-implications.html

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
There's a lot of discussion on reddit as well. Hopefully Google comes out and clarifies how these phones will interact with QC 2.0 chargers.

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
There's a lot of discussion on reddit as well. Hopefully Google comes out and clarifies how these phones will interact with QC 2.0 chargers.

I was really confused about this as well. They kept saying USB-C fast charging, which seemed odd since quickcharge 2.0 is a qualcomm technology and I figured they'd have to give credit to them to some degree. Mind you the 6P seems to have excellent fast charging if it can get like 7 hours in 10 minutes of charging (the spec sheet said something to this effect). The 5X however said it could only get around 3 hours in 10 minutes, so it seemed to imply they were using different technologies. I mostly want to know if my quickcharge 2.0 wall adapter will still be useful or if I need to get more usb-c specific ones.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I was really confused about this as well. They kept saying USB-C fast charging, which seemed odd since quickcharge 2.0 is a qualcomm technology and I figured they'd have to give credit to them to some degree. Mind you the 6P seems to have excellent fast charging if it can get like 7 hours in 10 minutes of charging (the spec sheet said something to this effect). The 5X however said it could only get around 3 hours in 10 minutes, so it seemed to imply they were using different technologies. I mostly want to know if my quickcharge 2.0 wall adapter will still be useful or if I need to get more usb-c specific ones.

They added to the confusion when they presented USB-C as more than the connector standard that it is.

Snarklife

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Just got a reply on Twitter from Google:

the Nexus 6P doesn't support Qaulcomm Quick Charge. Let us know if you have other questions.

So... Obviously, I asked:

Thanks. Will a 2.1A USB-A charger with an A-to-C cable activate FastCharge, will the charger need USB-C out, or something else?

eRod v1.0

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/nexus/z9BfgJRQjFE;context-place=topicsearchin/nexus/quick$20charge$202.0

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz