10-18-2015 08:13 AM
66 123
tools
    The nexus 6 is a great device. With the right case, the phone is a pleasure to hold in hand. The 6P is intriguing no doubt. But I'll have to wait until we see some real world reviews. Basing a phone on hands on vids and spec sheets is not the best thing to do. How anyone can pre order phone without seeing in depth reviews always escapes me.
    "Google wants you to love the devices and accessories that you buy from the Google Store. If you aren’t happy with something you bought, you can return an item within 15 calendar days after the day you received it. We’ll send a full refund..."

i'll do my own real world review.
    10-03-2015 02:11 PM
    YMMV. I'm guessing 4-8 depending on stuff.

sent via Nexus Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere.
    yeah way to many factors go into it to come up with a universal SOT ... with my usage is expect around 6, which is be more than happy with.
    10-03-2015 02:41 PM
    Nexus 6 is best phone on market if 6p is better I will buy

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-03-2015 02:55 PM
    I love my 6 and am really torn about upgrading to the 6P. Will wait until December/January most likely until I can hold one and there is some real world performance reports to go by.
    10-07-2015 01:46 PM
    I had the nexus 6 and it was just to much to hold due to its shape really. The N6P has a feel like the Note 5. I've held it and feel its not bad to hold at all.. A person with big hands and I truly felt the N6 was a bit to big.

10-07-2015 01:51 PM
    yeah way to many factors go into it to come up with a universal SOT ... with my usage is expect around 6, which is be more than happy with.
    I will be doing back flips of joy if I get 6. Based off of the MXPE I'm ball parking 5.
    10-07-2015 02:48 PM
    PSA: The 32 GB Nexus 6 is again $299 on ebay.

Sam1224 likes this.
    10-08-2015 09:01 AM
    Battery performance is extremely hard to judge. Everyone's usage varies. Those battery tests you always see published and thrown around? I kind of see those as meaningless. All they do is compare how different phones perform on those tests. But people aren't battery tests... they are people. Everyone uses different apps, different usage patterns, different signal strengths and features. Someone who uses Google Now a ton sees higher battery usage from Google Play Services and more wakelocks related to network location than someone who turns all the stuff off. Someone who's on social media constantly will see their phone go into deep sleep rarely while those apps wake up the phone constantly to update. Someone who lives in an area with a crappy phone signal will see their phone radios draw much more power as the radio itself cranks up the gain to amplify the signal.

Two people with the same phone can see wildly different results.

Now, with the Nexus 6.... I charge early and charge often. But I kind of see some patterns in the stats. Again, this is just for me and my own personal usage....

If I take the thing off the charger and just go hell-bent for glory, I can get 6 to 7 hours of SOT over the course of a short amount of time... 10 to 12 hours. If I want to go a 'charge a day', that bumps my screen time down to the mid 5's. If I needed to push it more than a day, around 4 hours. The battery improvements in 6.0 have 'freed up' almost a full hour of SOT as the idle drain on my phone has dropped considerably.

So going off those... considering that the 6P has a more efficient, smaller screen, a larger battery, etc... I can only assume that the 6P will have a decent size bump in performance over my 6. I don't suspect anyone is going to have complaints.
    Crashdamage likes this.
    10-08-2015 10:35 AM
    Battery performance is extremely hard to judge. Everyone's usage varies. Those battery tests you always see published and thrown around? I kind of see those as meaningless. All they do is compare how different phones perform on those tests. But people aren't battery tests... they are people. Everyone uses different apps, different usage patterns, different signal strengths and features. Someone who uses Google Now a ton sees higher battery usage from Google Play Services and more wakelocks related to network location than someone who turns all the stuff off. Someone who's on social media constantly will see their phone go into deep sleep rarely while those apps wake up the phone constantly to update. Someone who lives in an area with a crappy phone signal will see their phone radios draw much more power as the radio itself cranks up the gain to amplify the signal.

Two people with the same phone can see wildly different results.

Now, with the Nexus 6.... I charge early and charge often. But I kind of see some patterns in the stats. Again, this is just for me and my own personal usage....

If I take the thing off the charger and just go hell-bent for glory, I can get 6 to 7 hours of SOT over the course of a short amount of time... 10 to 12 hours. If I want to go a 'charge a day', that bumps my screen time down to the mid 5's. If I needed to push it more than a day, around 4 hours. The battery improvements in 6.0 have 'freed up' almost a full hour of SOT as the idle drain on my phone has dropped considerably.

So going off those... considering that the 6P has a more efficient, smaller screen, a larger battery, etc... I can only assume that the 6P will have a decent size bump in performance over my 6. I don't suspect anyone is going to have complaints.
    That's the one question I've had with regards to charging a battery: is it best to top up without hitting 100% by charging multiple times in a day, or is it best to charge once a day to full, and drain 60% before charging again? Which degrades a sealed battery faster?

10-08-2015 10:53 AM
    That's the one question I've had with regards to charging a battery: is it best to top up without hitting 100% by charging multiple times in a day, or is it best to charge once a day to full, and drain 60% before charging again? Which degrades a sealed battery faster?

Deep cycles are bad for battery life. If you want to get the most out of it, charge early, and charge often. I remember reading in an old Apple document when iPhone was first released, that keeping the battery between 90 and 100 percent charge was the best.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    anon(5506951) likes this.
    10-08-2015 12:34 PM
    Deep cycles are bad for battery life. If you want to get the most out of it, charge early, and charge often. I remember reading in an old Apple document when iPhone was first released, that keeping the battery between 90 and 100 percent charge was the best.

Here's a more technical explanation if you're so inclined:

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
    10-08-2015 01:57 PM
    Here's a more technical explanation if you're so inclined:

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
    Smartphone Battery Myths, Explained

This is from earlier today and might be a good read as well.
    CarbonOak likes this.
    10-08-2015 04:03 PM
    Which degrades a sealed battery faster?
    Two things: heat and discharging the damn thing until it powers off all the time. I've had a few mobile devices, and the ONLY one that I've had to replace the battery was the Nexus 7 2012 tablet that my daughter would abuse... She's always had it to me with a completely and totally spent battery in it and ask me to charge it up. CONSTANTLY.... I tried to figure out a way to have it power itself down automatically at 20 or 30%, but it would never work reliably. Eventually, it stopped holding a full charge and took longer to get there.

Now, they all have a limited number of cycles in them... as to what that number is, no one really knows. Some cells last longer than others.

But I usually try to top it off whenever I get the chance. I don't see the point in holding off any charging.... you never know when you'll be stuck away from a charger for an extended amount of time. The lowest I'll see is in the 30s, but I am all over the place otherwise. It must work fairly well since I've had an issue with my personal phones and my year old nexus 6 doesn't appear to have any battery degradation.
    10-08-2015 04:12 PM

That's really funny, because when I was having battery problems with my OPT, their tech support told me to completely discharge it until it turned off three times. I did not do it. My battery is fine now.
    10-08-2015 05:11 PM
    A full discharge until the phone won't turn on any more, followed by charging, and recharging till you get to true 100% is good for re calibration of the battery readout. To do it over and over again as a standard operating procedure is bad for the life of the battery. One must keep the battery fully charged as much as possible to keep it healthy, one must also let it fully discharge once in a while to keep the indicator accurate.
    10-10-2015 12:38 AM
    I had a nexus 6 and wanted to go to project fi but my phone I owed money on still and wasn't unlocked,so I went out and was convinced that I wasn't going to upgrade this year and got an unlocked Nexus 6 on a deal to use for fi.Since then I've been setting myself up by checking out all the reviews on the 6p and Now have ordered one of those too. Apparently now everyone on my phone plans have a new upgrade. Must be nice of me!

10-18-2015 08:13 AM
66 123