Buy nexus 6 or Nexus 6p. And why?

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Buy nexus 6 or. Nexus 6p. And why?

Originally got the 128gig 6p w/protection plan. Chickened out, canceled and re-ordered a 64gig without the protection plan.

Now I'm considering, yet again, canceling the 64gig and going with my original idea - the 128gig w/protection. Plan on keeping it for the full 2-years.

What's everyone's thoughts on the protection idea? There is a deductible, but damn if having 2 replacement allowances in 2 years for anything that goes wrong isn't tempting. Plus that would give me peace of mind with burn-in concerns (I use navigation a lot).

Edit: ended up going back to the black 128 w/protection plan. Go big or go home.

Last edited:

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

I want to get this phone, but I want to wait for some more videos and hands-on reviews.

I am concerned about the 810 processor, the radios/signal strength, and sound quality. I am not trying to be negative, but Huawei is an unknown quantity for me.

When I was considering (and ultimately purchased) the Motorola Nexus 6, I had real-world experience with a Moto X 2013. Even though there are differences, I felt like I knew what I was getting---similar Moto radios/hardware/software with a larger screen.

It was also the first Nexus to be unlocked and support all 4 carriers and that was big. I didn't know it would set a precedent for future phones, like the Pure, 5X, and 6P.

I hope this phone sells very well and am hopeful that more phones will continue to be available unlocked and with support for all carriers, but I'm just going to wait for more reviews to come in.

Hopefully, someone will do a side by side comparison with the Nexus 6 and I'll have all the information I need.

I'll probably wait a few months to see if the price will drop a little too.

On the plus side, I know I have no interest in the Nexus 5X, since the Nexus 6 and 6p are both superior IMO

Maybe it too will be available on Amazon for $350-$400 this time next year.

adamgalas1

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site

Originally got the 128gig 6p w/protection plan. Chickened out, canceled and re-ordered a 64gig without the protection plan.

Now I'm considering, yet again, canceling the 64gig and going with my original idea - the 128gig w/protection. Plan on keeping it for the full 2-years.

What's everyone's thoughts on the protection idea? There is a deductible, but damn if having 2 replacement allowances in 2 years for anything that goes wrong isn't tempting. Plus that would give me peace of mind with burn-in concerns (I use navigation a lot).

Edit: ended up going back to the black 128 w/protection plan. Go big or go home.

So my thoughts are this. As an owner of a nexus 6 is a sweet phone and you can get a 64 gb version for $369, which is my recommendation because you just can't beat that value.

If the nexus 6 clearance sale ends however the 6p is a true beast of a phone.

If my nexus 6 exploded and I want able to buy a new nexus 6 is very a 128 gb 6p with the nexus protect plan.

Why pay the $89 if there is a $75 deductible? because they will ship you a loaner phone within 1-2 days and for me that kind of service is well worth the $4.25 post month or so the coverage costs.

Then again in a frugal guy and I own my phones into the ground. I'll keep my nexus 6 until Google stops upgrading it and it's guaranteed to get nougat and since the nexus 4 got 3 years of upgrades as a dirty cheap midstream phone is expect the same for my flagship nexus 6. Heck ideally standard nexi like the 5x should get 3 years of upgrades meaning the next 2 versions of Android while premium nexi get 4 years, ie the next 3 besides, which would match IOS.

Anyway the point is that if you plan to maximize the utility of your nexus, ie own it until it's no longer supported, then the plan might make sense of you don't own a backup phone.

If you upgrade every year or two and use a solid case, then you shouldn't pay for it.

Overall is a glorious new golden age of nexus with Google starting to offer more apple like services for those of us willing to pay for them as well as true premium flagship phones that are specced to the Max.

Oh and for everyone still rocking the legendary nexus 6 keep in mind what we get to look forward to by waiting another year.

Premium phablet with 820 chip that packs quick-charge 3.0, USB c charging and the 6p box comes with a 15 w 3a charger, so we should get at least that next year.

Also it looks like nexus phablets will be rocking dual facing speakers every year and we should hopefully have at least 128 gb storage as the top option from here on out.

So waiting another year will make a huge difference in terms of soc, and quick charging.

Those of us waiting 2 years should see sd830 chip with snapdragon 4.0 and Gorilla glass 5.

Ram will probably be 4 or 5 gb and we might get 64/128/256 storage options.

Hopefully the screen can grow to over 6 inches since I don't ever want to downgrade to a smaller screen and huawei has 2 superb phablets to base a larger nexus.

They are also famous for giant batteries so hopefully Google pulls a nexus 5x and let's huawei go again next year and possibly from hear on out.

Overall 6p is a plant surprise given some of the horrific rumors we got late in this cycle.

A decent upgrade from the 6 in some regards though not large enough to justify an upgrade now.

Can't wait to see what kind of nexus phablet magic we get in 2-4 years when my nexus 6 battery will be toast and the difference between the nexus 6 and 2018-19 nexus 6 will be night and day.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
So my thoughts are this. As an owner of a nexus 6 is a sweet phone and you can get a 64 gb version for $369, which is my recommendation because you just can't beat that value.

If the nexus 6 clearance sale ends however the 6p is a true beast of a phone.

If my nexus 6 exploded and I want able to buy a new nexus 6 is very a 128 gb 6p with the nexus protect plan.

Why pay the $89 if there is a $75 deductible? because they will ship you a loaner phone within 1-2 days and for me that kind of service is well worth the $4.25 post month or so the coverage costs.

Then again in a frugal guy and I own my phones into the ground. I'll keep my nexus 6 until Google stops upgrading it and it's guaranteed to get nougat and since the nexus 4 got 3 years of upgrades as a dirty cheap midstream phone is expect the same for my flagship nexus 6. Heck ideally standard nexi like the 5x should get 3 years of upgrades meaning the next 2 versions of Android while premium nexi get 4 years, ie the next 3 besides, which would match IOS.

Anyway the point is that if you plan to maximize the utility of your nexus, ie own it until it's no longer supported, then the plan might make sense of you don't own a backup phone.

If you upgrade every year or two and use a solid case, then you shouldn't pay for it.

Overall is a glorious new golden age of nexus with Google starting to offer more apple like services for those of us willing to pay for them as well as true premium flagship phones that are specced to the Max.

Oh and for everyone still rocking the legendary nexus 6 keep in mind what we get to look forward to by waiting another year.

Premium phablet with 820 chip that packs quick-charge 3.0, USB c charging and the 6p box comes with a 15 w 3a charger, so we should get at least that next year.

Also it looks like nexus phablets will be rocking dual facing speakers every year and we should hopefully have at least 128 gb storage as the top option from here on out.

So waiting another year will make a huge difference in terms of soc, and quick charging.

Those of us waiting 2 years should see sd830 chip with snapdragon 4.0 and Gorilla glass 5.

Ram will probably be 4 or 5 gb and we might get 64/128/256 storage options.

Hopefully the screen can grow to over 6 inches since I don't ever want to downgrade to a smaller screen and huawei has 2 superb phablets to base a larger nexus.

They are also famous for giant batteries so hopefully Google pulls a nexus 5x and let's huawei go again next year and possibly from hear on out.

Overall 6p is a plant surprise given some of the horrific rumors we got late in this cycle.

A decent upgrade from the 6 in some regards though not large enough to justify an upgrade now.

Can't wait to see what kind of nexus phablet magic we get in 2-4 years when my nexus 6 battery will be toast and the difference between the nexus 6 and 2018-19 nexus 6 will be night and day.

hopefully what you said isn't the direction Google goes.

will there be a big difference between an 820 vs 830? or gorilla glass 4 vs 5? or 4GB RAM vs 5? just adding specs is excessively unnecessary. I'd like to see them perfect what they have, maybe we'll see some real innovation. simply adding specs every year eventually becomes wasteful. we're almost at that wall right now. just look at computers and TVs.

audio quality is something that can use much more work. and battery tech still has a ways to go. hour about the wireless quick charge with metal casings, or Wi-Fi charging. that's what I want to see. not just piling specs on top of specs.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I want to get this phone, but I want to wait for some more videos and hands-on reviews.

I am concerned about the 810 processor, the radios/signal strength, and sound quality. I am not trying to be negative, but Huawei is an unknown quantity for me.

When I was considering (and ultimately purchased) the Motorola Nexus 6, I had real-world experience with a Moto X 2013. Even though there are differences, I felt like I knew what I was getting---similar Moto radios/hardware/software with a larger screen.

It was also the first Nexus to be unlocked and support all 4 carriers and that was big. I didn't know it would set a precedent for future phones, like the Pure, 5X, and 6P.

I hope this phone sells very well and am hopeful that more phones will continue to be available unlocked and with support for all carriers, but I'm just going to wait for more reviews to come in.

Hopefully, someone will do a side by side comparison with the Nexus 6 and I'll have all the information I need.

I'll probably wait a few months to see if the price will drop a little too.

On the plus side, I know I have no interest in the Nexus 5X, since the Nexus 6 and 6p are both superior IMO

Maybe it too will be available on Amazon for $350-$400 this time next year.
I'd bet heavily that people will compare the 6 and 6P.

sent via Nexus Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site

I don't have a Nexus 6 but I do have a Nexus 5 and for my own boat the 6P definitely looks like a worthwhile upgrade compared to the 6. Bigger battery life, I think a much better display than the dim subpar Nexus 6 one

Point of order: the Nexus 6 display is by no means "dim" or "subpar," unless the "par" you have in mind is Samsung's latest Super AMOLED flagship displays. The N6 display could do with more brightness when it needs it, namely to counteract the bleaching effects of bright sunlight, but even in those situations the display is still readable.

If the 6P is designed to amp up brightness in "hot" ambient lighting, as I believe the latest Samsung displays are, then that will definitely be a win for the 6P, and it is something I'd like to know. But we need to wait for reviews to come in to find out about that.

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

Have nexus 6 will wait until I see user review on forum before making decision.

Posted via the Android Central App

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

I don't see it that way. I don't need a 'better' camera, USB-C, or a fingerprint reader. It wouldn't surprise me if the N6 '14 is faster than N6P. I'm not hating on the new N6, it's just that there's nothing that important to me. It wouldn't change my life or anything.

If by that you mean they're not substantial upgrade for you subjectively that's fine. I was speaking in overall terms, not user preference. Those are also user facing improvements, there's also some stuff under the hood as well. Moto's Nexus doesn't have as sophisticated sensors for handling sensor related data as the 6p does with the new sensor hub hardware

kayfaei

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Almost this same time last year I got my Nexus 6 through AT&T Next. I'm still paying off on it. and plus I put a protection plan on it through square trade. It seems the only way I would upgrade is it Google let US carriers have some in stock. Doesn't seem like they will be doing it this route though.. and another reason why I'm guess im sticking with my nexus 6 is because.. this is my first time using the att Next - plus having a warranty on a device.. I'm not sure how i would be able to upgrade.

For those who switch phones every six months or so.. do you cancel your protection plan and start a new one? and are you able to upgrade using the att Next- even if you did it already? In November it will be a year for me. So i guess to make my long answer short.. sticking with the Nexus 6 for now, but i would upgrade.

jdot104

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site

hopefully what you said isn't the direction Google goes.

will there be a big difference between an 820 vs 830? or gorilla glass 4 vs 5? or 4GB RAM vs 5? just adding specs is excessively unnecessary. I'd like to see them perfect what they have, maybe we'll see some real innovation. simply adding specs every year eventually becomes wasteful. we're almost at that wall right now. just look at computers and TVs.

audio quality is something that can use much more work. and battery tech still has a ways to go. hour about the wireless quick charge with metal casings, or Wi-Fi charging. that's what I want to see. not just piling specs on top of specs.

I agree. Progress for the sake of progress will only hurt the people buying the phones. We're approaching the upper bound of how big phones should get. Once you get over 6 inches you're getting into true tablet territory. And a processor can only make an OS so fast. Eventually everything is gonna look exactly the same, like we say with displays.

Sent using Tapatalk

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I'm also sticking with my Moto N6.I read about the 6P and probably will read reviews when posted.
But upgrade to it ?
I will pass for now :)

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

For me fingerprint sensor is more important than wireless charger. I only charge my phone once a day most of the time, but unlock it MANY times per day, so the fingerprint sensor is far more beneficial overall. That, plus trimmed down/lighter form factor (but still almost as big AMOLED screen), better battery life (I hope), the significantly better camera, and faster processor all led me to put in an order to upgrade my nexus 6 to 6p.

The fingerprint sensor is huge for me. After using it on the Iphone 6 plus and Note, I'm really glad the new nexus phones have it. I haven't been following the rumors as much this year so the 6P being all metal this year surprised me. The 6P has to be the closest to the ultimate Nexus I've ever seen. I'm hoping the battery life lives up to what they claim.

Matt harper2

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site

I don't know why the fingerprint scared new appeals to everyone. My phone is within sight at all times, but that's just me. I like the way the moto nexus 6 looks. I always thought the huiei was a generic base phone. Stigmata I have to get over now I suppose. I have the note 4. Wasn't Impressed with new Samsung to upgrade and afraid not impressed with new nexus yet either. Was and have been waiting on new upgrades for note 4 thru t-mobile buy probably be to wait till 3rd quarter of 2016 way it's going now. Oh well of nexus 6 moto gets it before note 4 does may have to upgrade to turn to moto nexus 6

Posted via the Android Central App

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

this is an EASY one! i had the Nexus 6 for about 5 minutes when it went down to $349.00 on Amazon and i STILL sent that thing packing... Too wide, too plastic-y and too Motorola-y & just too "clunky overall" for my tastes!

Huawei makes some REALLY nice phones, too!

Here's my reasons to consider the upgrade:

1. Sell your Nexus 6 on Swappa for 300-350, making total investment for latest & greatest roughly 200 bucks!
2. 6 mm less width & 6 grams lighter and over 3 mm thinner?! H*ll yes, alll day long! (May not seem like all that much, but trust me, IT IS!)
3. Marshmellow out of the box
4. 8mp ffc (front facing camera) vs 2mp
5. All metal body, chamferred edges, that thing is super gorgeous!
6. Type C connector- i've been lusting after Apples, "plug it in EITHER way" for YEARS now- Its FINALLY here for Android!
7. $499 price is a steal compared to $649.00 when Nexus 6 came out!
8. Bigger battery PLUS slightly smaller screen WITH state of art O/S should easily improve battery life...
9. G Glass 3 vs G Glass 4
10.Newer processor & GPU (always a legit reason for upgrading in my book : )
11. LED Notification light, FINALLY! Ya-hoo!
12. AND For us "T-Mobilers" possible Band 12 enabled by ship date-

Band 12.png

Its not in my area YET anyways but its comin' & so is my Nexus 6P!

Those are just my Top Twelve but honestly, Nexus 6p had me at "hello" : )

Nexus 6P-No order#.png

BTC

Last edited:

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

You know, I'm a bit torn on this one. The Nexus 6 is fast, screen's nice, great sound, good battery performance, the camera does its job with distinction, you name it. Like others have mentioned, the ONLY real squabble I have is that they set the max brightness too low (which was probably a power saving measure I suspect).... but my kernel has a mode to allow for higher brightness. Other than that, the Google Camera still needs some work... the N6's camera is capable of more than that app allows. But that is a software problem, and software problems can be fixed a bit (maybe even a little in the upcoming 6.0 release). So neither bother me or hinder me in any appreciable way.

So I have no reason to get rid of my Nexus 6.

But that 6P is a tempting siren... signs point to an excellent screen, excellent camera, even better battery performance, etc... it could very well be the best Android phone available, and not just in the eyes of Nexites. I need someone to lash me to the mast.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

I'll await some longer term reviews, but right now it looks to be a mixed bag as far as pro's and con's.

• Overall build quality of N6p is TBD, though I'm hearing some praise for Huawei in general
  • Relative screen quality, battery life, sound quality/volume are all TBD (I'm a big media consumer, so this is critical for me).
  • I expect the camera to be better, and slo-mo is tempting, but the N6 is certainly the first phone I've had that has reached the level of image quality that is 'good enough' for my needs. Would have to be a substantial improvement to carry any weight towards a decision to upgrade. Front camera upgrade on the 6p is substantial, but not for me as I could care less about selfies, etc.
  • Relative radio performance is TBD. Motorola's radios are fantastic, picking up signal in the deeper recesses of my office that other phones have failed to manage. If the Huawei isn't at least very, very close in securing and keeping a signal, no way I'd upgrade.
  • Slimmer, more compact metal unibody is definitely a win in the 'feel' department, and the slight drop in screen size would be manageable (not sure if it would make enough of a difference to allow for more frequent 1-handed operation).
  • Higher top storage capacity option with a 128GB model. I'm still not having issues with the 32GB I have on the N6, with cloud in general and USB OTG for extended absence being a more generally convenient option for the incremental cost.
  • 6p loses Qi charging, which I've enjoyed very much.
  • 6p gains fingerprint ID. I probably don't give that feature as much credit as it should warrant, but don't have real concerns over my current lock system. Not a concern for me, but interesting to note that the right to security you have over your phone is less legally secured by fingerprint than other methods, since police can mandate you unlock by fingerprint, but not by passcode, etc.
  • USB Type C connector being insertable either way is all fine and good, but I've never had a problem with the 6 and standard MicroUSB (especially w/ Qi charging), and I have countless accessories that cater to it (so it'd be an additional expense picking up replacements for the 6P). For now that's a point against 6p.
  • There had been some concerns early on with the 810 processors, primarily to do with heat, iirc - have those been resolved? I could care less about benchmark scores, and have always had fully zippy performance with the N6 (and for that matter, the N5 before it).

I'm hoping the reviews are generally stellar for the N6p. There's enough changes that if it excels in the 'tbd' areas I'll upgrade just to stay with the latest even though it might not be the substantial upgrade I enjoyed from the 4 to the 5, and the 5 to the 6. But if not, this might be the year that I just keep my current "adoptive child" a little longer...

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site

Relative radio performance is TBD. Motorola's radios are fantastic, picking up signal in the deeper recesses of my office that other phones have failed to manage. If the Huawei isn't at least very, very close in securing and keeping a signal, no way I'd upgrade.

I definitely agree with this point about radios, especially for the US market. Motorola is a known quantity and has spent years dealing with US carriers and their various bands and spectrum wars. Same can't be said for Huawei since they're really just breaking into the mess that is US telephony.

Since Motorola was a Google company for a while, though, I'm assuming that Google engineers would have been available to give Huawei people a clear glimpse of the road ahead of them (if they even needed it). But discussions of reception and call quality are the first things I'm going to look for when reviews do start rolling in. Sad fact is though that that is the one area that most reviews skirt over by simply listing specs instead of doing independent testing.

As for screen quality, the Nexus team that chatted via Reddit yesterday seemed to claim that the new "Nexii" were sporting "the latest Samsung displays." Unfortunately, they didn't get any more specific than that.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Well... the 'lastest Samsung' is a bit vague. But, at worst, it'll be a screen on par with the Note 4 (which was excellent) and at best, on par with the Note 5/Edge+ (which is also an excellent screen.

About radios. Motorola is known for its radio technology, that is true. They invented the mobile phone, after all. But you have to remember that they aren't the only ones who are involved. The WiFi radio is from Broadcom and the LTE radio is bundled into the SoC from Qualcomm. Motorola's say here, I believe, is really down to how they design the antenna rigs in the chassis (which is, by no means, trivial)... not the radios themselves.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

Well... the 'lastest Samsung' is a bit vague. But, at worst, it'll be a screen on par with the Note 4 (which was excellent) and at best, on par with the Note 5/Edge+ (which is also an excellent screen.

About radios. Motorola is known for its radio technology, that is true. They invented the mobile phone, after all. But you have to remember that they aren't the only ones who are involved. The WiFi radio is from Broadcom and the LTE radio is bundled into the SoC from Qualcomm. Motorola's say here, I believe, is really down to how they design the antenna rigs in the chassis (which is, by no means, trivial)... not the radios themselves.

I really like if I heard correctly, that all of the antennae are located near the top of the phone. I know many manufacturers have historically placed the data radio near the bottom because it was claimed that the signal radiation was bad for you when held against your head during phone calls. But I rarely make voice calls anymore, and had issues in the past with data reception attenuation because when I held in the phone in-hand I was effectively 'palming' the radio reception. I tested this by monitoring my phone's Db rating when held in hand compared to when I just finger gripped it away from where I knew the data radio was housed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech