Buy nexus 6 or Nexus 6p. And why?

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Buy nexus 6 or. Nexus 6p. And why?

I will miss wireless charging. I know they said they did it to reduce weight and thickness plus the fact is USB-C is a better plug in option and charges fast. But I still love the option of just picking my phone up from my desk and not having to basically use two hands (one on the phone and one to grab the cable) regardless that USB-C can be plugged in either way... In the middle of the night from my night stand I much rather just throw it down on that Qi charger than fumble with a cable.

Outside that my Moto Nexus 6 has been (and still is actually) an amazing device. I'll probably keep the Moto 6 for a little while and see how I like the new 6p... I look forward to testing out the 6p and hopefully it doesn't take until the November 3rd back end of my delivery date to get here.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

I will miss wireless charging. I know they said they did it to reduce weight and thickness plus the fact is USB-C is a better plug in option and charges fast.

USB-C is better in that it helps avoid human error of trying to insert it the wrong way, but in the case of the N6p it won't charge any faster than if they had equipped it with Micro-USB. The speedy charging is still a product of Qualcomm's Quick Charge 2.0, as also found on N6.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

USB-C is better in that it helps avoid human error of trying to insert it the wrong way, but in the case of the N6p it won't charge any faster than if they had equipped it with Micro-USB. The speedy charging is still a product of Qualcomm's Quick Charge 2.0, as also found on N6.

I was just semi quoting the Google excuse for not including wireless charging! I rarely use the plug in quick charger, I'd still prefer wireless charging but oh well!

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site

These kinds of decisions are best made post hype once the user reviews come in so you can analyze all the complaints.

dreaming of electric sheep

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

If you aren't in the market for a new phone currently it's always tempting to jump the gun and go for it but for anybody who is in the market why would you not? Especially if you've already had a nexus and understand why they're great.

Easy decision for me, I prefer larger screens and larger batteries so 6P all the way.

For anybody looking for a new phone I would say pick the size that you prefer and go nexus all the way.

aj888

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
So I'm guessing battery life should be around 7 hours SOT? What do you guys think?

Posted via the Android Central App

NewPepper

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Took the plunge. Growing up from a 32GB GS3 which I pre-ordered as well. Been a good companion. On Verizon. 128GB Aluminum. Bring it.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
The nexus 6 is a great device. With the right case, the phone is a pleasure to hold in hand. The 6P is intriguing no doubt. But I'll have to wait until we see some real world reviews. Basing a phone on hands on vids and spec sheets is not the best thing to do. How anyone can pre order phone without seeing in depth reviews always escapes me.

beaner b

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
The nexus 6 is a great device. With the right case, the phone is a pleasure to hold in hand. The 6P is intriguing no doubt. But I'll have to wait until we see some real world reviews. Basing a phone on hands on vids and spec sheets is not the best thing to do. How anyone can pre order phone without seeing in depth reviews always escapes me.

"Google wants you to love the devices and accessories that you buy from the Google Store. If you aren’t happy with something you bought, you can return an item within 15 calendar days after the day you received it. We’ll send a full refund..."

i'll do my own real world review.

Sam1224

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I love my 6 and am really torn about upgrading to the 6P. Will wait until December/January most likely until I can hold one and there is some real world performance reports to go by.

mannw1977

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I had the nexus 6 and it was just to much to hold due to its shape really. The N6P has a feel like the Note 5. I've held it and feel its not bad to hold at all.. A person with big hands and I truly felt the N6 was a bit to big.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Battery performance is extremely hard to judge. Everyone's usage varies. Those battery tests you always see published and thrown around? I kind of see those as meaningless. All they do is compare how different phones perform on those tests. But people aren't battery tests... they are people. Everyone uses different apps, different usage patterns, different signal strengths and features. Someone who uses Google Now a ton sees higher battery usage from Google Play Services and more wakelocks related to network location than someone who turns all the stuff off. Someone who's on social media constantly will see their phone go into deep sleep rarely while those apps wake up the phone constantly to update. Someone who lives in an area with a crappy phone signal will see their phone radios draw much more power as the radio itself cranks up the gain to amplify the signal.

Two people with the same phone can see wildly different results.

Now, with the Nexus 6.... I charge early and charge often. But I kind of see some patterns in the stats. Again, this is just for me and my own personal usage....

If I take the thing off the charger and just go hell-bent for glory, I can get 6 to 7 hours of SOT over the course of a short amount of time... 10 to 12 hours. If I want to go a 'charge a day', that bumps my screen time down to the mid 5's. If I needed to push it more than a day, around 4 hours. The battery improvements in 6.0 have 'freed up' almost a full hour of SOT as the idle drain on my phone has dropped considerably.

So going off those... considering that the 6P has a more efficient, smaller screen, a larger battery, etc... I can only assume that the 6P will have a decent size bump in performance over my 6. I don't suspect anyone is going to have complaints.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Battery performance is extremely hard to judge. Everyone's usage varies. Those battery tests you always see published and thrown around? I kind of see those as meaningless. All they do is compare how different phones perform on those tests. But people aren't battery tests... they are people. Everyone uses different apps, different usage patterns, different signal strengths and features. Someone who uses Google Now a ton sees higher battery usage from Google Play Services and more wakelocks related to network location than someone who turns all the stuff off. Someone who's on social media constantly will see their phone go into deep sleep rarely while those apps wake up the phone constantly to update. Someone who lives in an area with a crappy phone signal will see their phone radios draw much more power as the radio itself cranks up the gain to amplify the signal.

Two people with the same phone can see wildly different results.

Now, with the Nexus 6.... I charge early and charge often. But I kind of see some patterns in the stats. Again, this is just for me and my own personal usage....

If I take the thing off the charger and just go hell-bent for glory, I can get 6 to 7 hours of SOT over the course of a short amount of time... 10 to 12 hours. If I want to go a 'charge a day', that bumps my screen time down to the mid 5's. If I needed to push it more than a day, around 4 hours. The battery improvements in 6.0 have 'freed up' almost a full hour of SOT as the idle drain on my phone has dropped considerably.

So going off those... considering that the 6P has a more efficient, smaller screen, a larger battery, etc... I can only assume that the 6P will have a decent size bump in performance over my 6. I don't suspect anyone is going to have complaints.

That's the one question I've had with regards to charging a battery: is it best to top up without hitting 100% by charging multiple times in a day, or is it best to charge once a day to full, and drain 60% before charging again? Which degrades a sealed battery faster?

rajendra82

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
That's the one question I've had with regards to charging a battery: is it best to top up without hitting 100% by charging multiple times in a day, or is it best to charge once a day to full, and drain 60% before charging again? Which degrades a sealed battery faster?

Deep cycles are bad for battery life. If you want to get the most out of it, charge early, and charge often. I remember reading in an old Apple document when iPhone was first released, that keeping the battery between 90 and 100 percent charge was the best.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463