10-18-2015 07:13 AM
66 123
tools
    I'm due for an upgrade and I already bought some stuff for the nexus 6 In advance months ago dispite knowing new nexus line will be out at this time as it did. It's decent the 6p but I see more still liking the Motorola nexus.. So what you guys think if you were in my shoes or if you have your own reason to choose either one I would like to read your feedback?

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-29-2015 02:29 PM
    I have a Nexus 6 and I am sticking with it, not much of an upgrade in my opinion. You can get a N6 for less than $400 now!

Good luck with your choice!
    09-29-2015 02:44 PM
    I'm sticking with my old N6, too, and partly for the reason you mentioned. I've got cases and screen protectors for it along with a Qi charger that I like. I'm just not ready to retire the N6 yet. If T-Mobile ends up getting a model in January, I might consider JUMPing then, but that's a long way off.

If you can wait for reviews, wait. We're already hearing that the 6P's camera is excellent, but I'd like to know about the quality of the front-facing speakers and the brightness of the display. If the reviewers agree that the new model trounces the 2014 model on both those counts, then I'd go for the 6P.
    Capostatuz913 likes this.
    09-29-2015 03:27 PM
    Yeah I may do that get the Moto nexus 6

09-29-2015 07:37 PM
    I'm not going to upgrade from my current Nexus 6, but if I were coming from say a Nexus 5 and looking to upgrade I would most likely go for the 6p. It seems that the camera and battery life are vastly improved over the 6.
    09-29-2015 08:33 PM
    This is a substantial upgrade from the regular 6 in many important ways. I wouldn't even hesitate to upgrade to this even if it incurred a fee as long as nothing goes wrong during the in depth reviews.
    jdot104 and So Cold like this.
    09-29-2015 08:38 PM
    Got the frost white 64gb just now. Coming from Nexus 6. Why not?
    Robbie317 likes this.
    09-29-2015 09:02 PM
    If the N6 were sold at a big discount I would prefer it. I like wireless charging more than fingerprint sensor.
    09-29-2015 09:28 PM
    For me fingerprint sensor is more important than wireless charger. I only charge my phone once a day most of the time, but unlock it MANY times per day, so the fingerprint sensor is far more beneficial overall. That, plus trimmed down/lighter form factor (but still almost as big AMOLED screen), better battery life (I hope), the significantly better camera, and faster processor all led me to put in an order to upgrade my nexus 6 to 6p.
    qnet likes this.
    09-29-2015 09:32 PM
    if price isn't a factor, gotta go 6p ... I have the 6, love it, but the 6p seems like a special phone. sounds like it'll take great photos, and that's one of the biggest batteries you'll find these days ... add on the USB-C and fingerprint sensor, yeah, go 6p for sure
    So Cold likes this.
    09-29-2015 09:42 PM
    Which one would you recommend overall? Putting price into consideration obviously.
    09-29-2015 09:48 PM
    I don't have a Nexus 6 but I do have a Nexus 5 and for my own boat the 6P definitely looks like a worthwhile upgrade compared to the 6. Bigger battery life, I think a much better display than the dim subpar Nexus 6 one, fingerprint sensor, DDR4 Ram and 3 gigabytes of RAM, better cameras all around even with the lack of OIS, better build quality, true their are lots of fearmongering about the 810 v2.1 but we shall wait and see. At this point though I think the P is more worthwhile if you are looking for an upgrade, specifically to a Nexus and I'll go with the 6P which is just superior in most aspects but going to it from a 6 would be up to you.

So Cold likes this.
    09-29-2015 09:50 PM
    Based on what criteria? What do you like?
    VoltaicShock likes this.
    09-29-2015 09:59 PM
    This is a substantial upgrade from the regular 6 in many important ways.
    I don't see it that way. I don't need a 'better' camera, USB-C, or a fingerprint reader. It wouldn't surprise me if the N6 '14 is faster than N6P. I'm not hating on the new N6, it's just that there's nothing that important to me. It wouldn't change my life or anything.
    09-29-2015 10:19 PM
    A subjective answer to your subjective question: it comes down to size for me. I don't phablet, so I'll happily trade what the 6P has under the hood for the more reasonable physical characteristics of the 5X.

Aquila likes this.
    09-29-2015 10:19 PM
    I am concerned about the size of the 6P but I also fully understand that thanks to it's higher quality screen and build it's the better phone of the two. I decided to order both and make the decision with both in my hand. I realize this isn't an option for everyone but I just hated the idea of picking one and wishing I had gone with the other and then waiting a month for the new one to ship.
    09-29-2015 10:26 PM
    This is a substantial upgrade from the regular 6 in many important ways. I wouldn't even hesitate to upgrade to this even if it incurred a fee as long as nothing goes wrong during the in depth reviews.
    It's a no-brainer for me. The build quality, camera, and battery are all upgraded so I'd only consider the 6P. Is wireless charging really that important that users are skipping out on the 6P?
    09-29-2015 11:04 PM
    It's a no-brainer for me. The build quality, camera, and battery are all upgraded so I'd only consider the 6P. Is wireless charging really that important that users are skipping out on the 6P?
    09-29-2015 11:04 PM
    To me the 6P was a disappointment. The goofy-looking raised black bar thingy is not cool. No wireless charging was very sad. The hardware is good but not a big jump over the Nexus 6, more like a small hop.

I'm convinced I made the right choice getting a Nexus 6 on sale. No regrets at all.

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001
    09-29-2015 11:26 PM
    To me the 6P was a disappointment. The goofy-looking raised black bar thingy is not cool. No wireless charging was very sad. The hardware is good but not a big jump over the Nexus 6, more like a small hop.

I'm convinced I made the right choice getting a Nexus 6 on sale. No regrets at all.

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001
    Glad you got what you like 😃. The biggest improvements were in camera and battery from the presentation but I still have my N6 and its fun as hell.

sent via Nexus Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere.
    Crashdamage likes this.
    09-29-2015 11:28 PM
    Originally got the 128gig 6p w/protection plan. Chickened out, canceled and re-ordered a 64gig without the protection plan.

Now I'm considering, yet again, canceling the 64gig and going with my original idea - the 128gig w/protection. Plan on keeping it for the full 2-years.

What's everyone's thoughts on the protection idea? There is a deductible, but damn if having 2 replacement allowances in 2 years for anything that goes wrong isn't tempting. Plus that would give me peace of mind with burn-in concerns (I use navigation a lot).

Edit: ended up going back to the black 128 w/protection plan. Go big or go home.
    09-29-2015 11:42 PM
    I want to get this phone, but I want to wait for some more videos and hands-on reviews.

I am concerned about the 810 processor, the radios/signal strength, and sound quality. I am not trying to be negative, but Huawei is an unknown quantity for me.

When I was considering (and ultimately purchased) the Motorola Nexus 6, I had real-world experience with a Moto X 2013. Even though there are differences, I felt like I knew what I was getting---similar Moto radios/hardware/software with a larger screen.

It was also the first Nexus to be unlocked and support all 4 carriers and that was big. I didn't know it would set a precedent for future phones, like the Pure, 5X, and 6P.

I hope this phone sells very well and am hopeful that more phones will continue to be available unlocked and with support for all carriers, but I'm just going to wait for more reviews to come in.

Hopefully, someone will do a side by side comparison with the Nexus 6 and I'll have all the information I need.

I'll probably wait a few months to see if the price will drop a little too.

On the plus side, I know I have no interest in the Nexus 5X, since the Nexus 6 and 6p are both superior IMO

Maybe it too will be available on Amazon for $350-$400 this time next year.
    09-30-2015 12:49 AM
    Originally got the 128gig 6p w/protection plan. Chickened out, canceled and re-ordered a 64gig without the protection plan.

Now I'm considering, yet again, canceling the 64gig and going with my original idea - the 128gig w/protection. Plan on keeping it for the full 2-years.

What's everyone's thoughts on the protection idea? There is a deductible, but damn if having 2 replacement allowances in 2 years for anything that goes wrong isn't tempting. Plus that would give me peace of mind with burn-in concerns (I use navigation a lot).

Edit: ended up going back to the black 128 w/protection plan. Go big or go home.
    So my thoughts are this. As an owner of a nexus 6 is a sweet phone and you can get a 64 gb version for $369, which is my recommendation because you just can't beat that value.

If the nexus 6 clearance sale ends however the 6p is a true beast of a phone.

If my nexus 6 exploded and I want able to buy a new nexus 6 is very a 128 gb 6p with the nexus protect plan.

Why pay the $89 if there is a $75 deductible? because they will ship you a loaner phone within 1-2 days and for me that kind of service is well worth the $4.25 post month or so the coverage costs.

Then again in a frugal guy and I own my phones into the ground. I'll keep my nexus 6 until Google stops upgrading it and it's guaranteed to get nougat and since the nexus 4 got 3 years of upgrades as a dirty cheap midstream phone is expect the same for my flagship nexus 6. Heck ideally standard nexi like the 5x should get 3 years of upgrades meaning the next 2 versions of Android while premium nexi get 4 years, ie the next 3 besides, which would match IOS.

Anyway the point is that if you plan to maximize the utility of your nexus, ie own it until it's no longer supported, then the plan might make sense of you don't own a backup phone.

If you upgrade every year or two and use a solid case, then you shouldn't pay for it.

Overall is a glorious new golden age of nexus with Google starting to offer more apple like services for those of us willing to pay for them as well as true premium flagship phones that are specced to the Max.

Oh and for everyone still rocking the legendary nexus 6 keep in mind what we get to look forward to by waiting another year.

Premium phablet with 820 chip that packs quick-charge 3.0, USB c charging and the 6p box comes with a 15 w 3a charger, so we should get at least that next year.

Also it looks like nexus phablets will be rocking dual facing speakers every year and we should hopefully have at least 128 gb storage as the top option from here on out.

So waiting another year will make a huge difference in terms of soc, and quick charging.

Those of us waiting 2 years should see sd830 chip with snapdragon 4.0 and Gorilla glass 5.

Ram will probably be 4 or 5 gb and we might get 64/128/256 storage options.

Hopefully the screen can grow to over 6 inches since I don't ever want to downgrade to a smaller screen and huawei has 2 superb phablets to base a larger nexus.

They are also famous for giant batteries so hopefully Google pulls a nexus 5x and let's huawei go again next year and possibly from hear on out.

Overall 6p is a plant surprise given some of the horrific rumors we got late in this cycle.

A decent upgrade from the 6 in some regards though not large enough to justify an upgrade now.

Can't wait to see what kind of nexus phablet magic we get in 2-4 years when my nexus 6 battery will be toast and the difference between the nexus 6 and 2018-19 nexus 6 will be night and day.
    09-30-2015 03:39 AM
    The 6P looks/sounds incredible but I will be hanging onto my 6 for at least another year.
    09-30-2015 04:07 AM
    So my thoughts are this. As an owner of a nexus 6 is a sweet phone and you can get a 64 gb version for $369, which is my recommendation because you just can't beat that value.

If the nexus 6 clearance sale ends however the 6p is a true beast of a phone.

If my nexus 6 exploded and I want able to buy a new nexus 6 is very a 128 gb 6p with the nexus protect plan.

Why pay the $89 if there is a $75 deductible? because they will ship you a loaner phone within 1-2 days and for me that kind of service is well worth the $4.25 post month or so the coverage costs.

Then again in a frugal guy and I own my phones into the ground. I'll keep my nexus 6 until Google stops upgrading it and it's guaranteed to get nougat and since the nexus 4 got 3 years of upgrades as a dirty cheap midstream phone is expect the same for my flagship nexus 6. Heck ideally standard nexi like the 5x should get 3 years of upgrades meaning the next 2 versions of Android while premium nexi get 4 years, ie the next 3 besides, which would match IOS.

Anyway the point is that if you plan to maximize the utility of your nexus, ie own it until it's no longer supported, then the plan might make sense of you don't own a backup phone.

If you upgrade every year or two and use a solid case, then you shouldn't pay for it.

Overall is a glorious new golden age of nexus with Google starting to offer more apple like services for those of us willing to pay for them as well as true premium flagship phones that are specced to the Max.

Oh and for everyone still rocking the legendary nexus 6 keep in mind what we get to look forward to by waiting another year.

Premium phablet with 820 chip that packs quick-charge 3.0, USB c charging and the 6p box comes with a 15 w 3a charger, so we should get at least that next year.

Also it looks like nexus phablets will be rocking dual facing speakers every year and we should hopefully have at least 128 gb storage as the top option from here on out.

So waiting another year will make a huge difference in terms of soc, and quick charging.

Those of us waiting 2 years should see sd830 chip with snapdragon 4.0 and Gorilla glass 5.

Ram will probably be 4 or 5 gb and we might get 64/128/256 storage options.

Hopefully the screen can grow to over 6 inches since I don't ever want to downgrade to a smaller screen and huawei has 2 superb phablets to base a larger nexus.

They are also famous for giant batteries so hopefully Google pulls a nexus 5x and let's huawei go again next year and possibly from hear on out.

Overall 6p is a plant surprise given some of the horrific rumors we got late in this cycle.

A decent upgrade from the 6 in some regards though not large enough to justify an upgrade now.

Can't wait to see what kind of nexus phablet magic we get in 2-4 years when my nexus 6 battery will be toast and the difference between the nexus 6 and 2018-19 nexus 6 will be night and day.
    hopefully what you said isn't the direction Google goes.

will there be a big difference between an 820 vs 830? or gorilla glass 4 vs 5? or 4GB RAM vs 5? just adding specs is excessively unnecessary. I'd like to see them perfect what they have, maybe we'll see some real innovation. simply adding specs every year eventually becomes wasteful. we're almost at that wall right now. just look at computers and TVs.

audio quality is something that can use much more work. and battery tech still has a ways to go. hour about the wireless quick charge with metal casings, or Wi-Fi charging. that's what I want to see. not just piling specs on top of specs.
    09-30-2015 05:18 AM
66 123