Can this AMOLED show white?

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone with hands on chime in here?

I'm kind of sensitive to this for some reason but it's an annoyance when an AMOLED screen tries for white but winds up blue/green.

Pretty much my only concern with the 6P

Zachary Boddy

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I don't have the hands-on but I'm curious as to the answer.
My educated guess is that the Nexus 6P is still a premium device and AMOLED displays are far better than they were a few years ago. Especially premium AMOLED displays.

Alex98

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
I have seen a video (from Android Authorit, I think) that show a display comparison between the N6 and N6P and the 6P's one looks a lot better.

But maybe it's just different calibrations and camera white balance that tricks me.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
At the release event they had ALL nexus devices on the table. I have yet to see a nexus 5 or 7 (with its calibrated LCD display) in the same picture as a 6P and showing white. Seeing that would likely be enough for me.

Saturn1217

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps a ray of hope. The anandtech hands on mentioned that the 6p has an sRGB mode in developer settings to change the screen calibration. The writer specifically talked about his dislike for the color calibration on the nexus 6 and how picking this setting made him much happier about the display calibration on the 6p. Obviously a preliminary review but it sounds promising.

Posted via Android Central App

Alex98

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
What will be important to know, IMO, is if the device is bright enough.

Older AMOLED panels (like Nexus 6) are dim and hard to read in sunlight in comparison to newer generations.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
What will be important to know, IMO, is if the device is bright enough.

Older AMOLED panels (like Nexus 6) are dim and hard to read in sunlight in comparison to newer generations.

I'm assuming the 6P is using the Note 4 panels?

Posted via the Android Central App

Alex98

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
And the dream comes true : the 6P will used the latest generation of AMOLED panel directly from Samsung.

It's confirmed directly by Google engineers on Reddit.

"Yep, confirmed: Nexus 6P has the latest generation panels from Samsung. One of things we deeply care for is the quality and accuracy of the display through which all of us connect with the stuff we care about. We created a very tight spec (white-point temperature, delta-E variance, color-space accuracy, etc) for the 6P WQHD AMOLED panel, so it was important that we use the most cutting edge panel technology available."

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
"Yep, confirmed: Nexus 6P has the latest generation panels from Samsung.

If they mean the same panels currently shipping with the Note 5 and the S6 + size models, then I'm a whole lot closer to wanting a 6P!

Only problem is, I can't square the use of those panels with the vastly different price point of those Samsung flagships. And I very much doubt that that difference can be chalked up to carrier greed alone.

Alex98

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
If they mean the same panels currently shipping with the Note 5 and the S6 + size models, then I'm a whole lot closer to wanting a 6P!

Only problem is, I can't square the use of those panels with the vastly different price point of those Samsung flagships. And I very much doubt that that difference can be chalked up to carrier greed alone.

The price is vastly different only in north America in fact.
Here, in Europe (even in UK I think), prices are not that different from a S6 Edge Plus or a Z5 Premium for example.

It's pretty clear that Google target a lower margin in USA for some reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol