11-05-2015 08:13 AM
26 12
tools
    Can anyone with hands on chime in here?

I'm kind of sensitive to this for some reason but it's an annoyance when an AMOLED screen tries for white but winds up blue/green.

Pretty much my only concern with the 6P
    09-29-2015 07:54 PM
    I don't have the hands-on but I'm curious as to the answer.
    My educated guess is that the Nexus 6P is still a premium device and AMOLED displays are far better than they were a few years ago. Especially premium AMOLED displays.
    09-29-2015 08:00 PM
    Can anyone with hands on chime in here?

I'm kind of sensitive to this for some reason but it's an annoyance when an AMOLED screen tries for white but winds up blue/green.

Pretty much my only concern with the 6P
    My s6 edge shows all colors brilliantly.
    09-30-2015 01:16 AM
    Is this amoled supplied by Samsung?

dreaming of electric sheep
    09-30-2015 01:42 AM
    My s6 edge shows all colors brilliantly.
    But we all know that the smaller vendors don't have access to the better Samsung panels, that's my concern.
    09-30-2015 04:26 AM
    But we all know that the smaller vendors don't have access to the better Samsung panels, that's my concern.
    if you've ever seen the note 4, that's the panel the 6p is using
    Alex_NJ likes this.
    09-30-2015 05:03 AM
    This would be pretty darn good, do we have a source for this news? I hadn't read that anywhere but I haven't been looking super hard.
    09-30-2015 05:22 AM
    I hope this is true, Note 4's display is very good.
    09-30-2015 05:35 AM
    Source?

09-30-2015 05:55 AM
    Source?

I looked for it, and I have no confirmation, but I've read it in several different places. if you Google it you'll see a lot of suggesting that it has it, but I wouldn't swear on it since I've yet to see concrete evidence.
    09-30-2015 06:09 AM
    I have seen a video (from Android Authorit, I think) that show a display comparison between the N6 and N6P and the 6P's one looks a lot better.

But maybe it's just different calibrations and camera white balance that tricks me.
    09-30-2015 06:29 AM
    At the release event they had ALL nexus devices on the table. I have yet to see a nexus 5 or 7 (with its calibrated LCD display) in the same picture as a 6P and showing white. Seeing that would likely be enough for me.
    09-30-2015 06:38 AM
    Perhaps a ray of hope. The anandtech hands on mentioned that the 6p has an sRGB mode in developer settings to change the screen calibration. The writer specifically talked about his dislike for the color calibration on the nexus 6 and how picking this setting made him much happier about the display calibration on the 6p. Obviously a preliminary review but it sounds promising.

Posted via Android Central App
    maxburn likes this.
    09-30-2015 06:53 AM
    What will be important to know, IMO, is if the device is bright enough.

Older AMOLED panels (like Nexus 6) are dim and hard to read in sunlight in comparison to newer generations.
    09-30-2015 06:59 AM
    What will be important to know, IMO, is if the device is bright enough.

Older AMOLED panels (like Nexus 6) are dim and hard to read in sunlight in comparison to newer generations.
    I'm assuming the 6P is using the Note 4 panels?

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-30-2015 07:15 AM
    Is this amoled supplied by Samsung?

Yes, it is.

09-30-2015 07:16 AM
    I'm assuming the 6P is using the Note 4 panels?

I suppose (and hope) too but it's still unconfirmed and sadly the Mate S uses a pretty bad AMOLED display so I think it's better to wait some confirmation.
    maxburn likes this.
    09-30-2015 07:21 AM
    And the dream comes true : the 6P will used the latest generation of AMOLED panel directly from Samsung.

It's confirmed directly by Google engineers on Reddit.

"Yep, confirmed: Nexus 6P has the latest generation panels from Samsung. One of things we deeply care for is the quality and accuracy of the display through which all of us connect with the stuff we care about. We created a very tight spec (white-point temperature, delta-E variance, color-space accuracy, etc) for the 6P WQHD AMOLED panel, so it was important that we use the most cutting edge panel technology available."
    maxburn and anon(5506951) like this.
    09-30-2015 03:43 PM
    "Yep, confirmed: Nexus 6P has the latest generation panels from Samsung.
    If they mean the same panels currently shipping with the Note 5 and the S6 + size models, then I'm a whole lot closer to wanting a 6P!

Only problem is, I can't square the use of those panels with the vastly different price point of those Samsung flagships. And I very much doubt that that difference can be chalked up to carrier greed alone.
    09-30-2015 04:35 PM
    If they mean the same panels currently shipping with the Note 5 and the S6 + size models, then I'm a whole lot closer to wanting a 6P!

Only problem is, I can't square the use of those panels with the vastly different price point of those Samsung flagships. And I very much doubt that that difference can be chalked up to carrier greed alone.
    The price is vastly different only in north America in fact.
    Here, in Europe (even in UK I think), prices are not that different from a S6 Edge Plus or a Z5 Premium for example.

It's pretty clear that Google target a lower margin in USA for some reason.
    09-30-2015 04:49 PM
    And the dream comes true : the 6P will used the latest generation of AMOLED panel directly from Samsung.

It's confirmed directly by Google engineers on Reddit.

"Yep, confirmed: Nexus 6P has the latest generation panels from Samsung. One of things we deeply care for is the quality and accuracy of the display through which all of us connect with the stuff we care about. We created a very tight spec (white-point temperature, delta-E variance, color-space accuracy, etc) for the 6P WQHD AMOLED panel, so it was important that we use the most cutting edge panel technology available."
    awesome! phone is sick
    09-30-2015 04:55 PM
    Now have the phone in hand and honestly not completely happy with the display showing white. Seems a little blue/green to me, especially in lower "backlight" levels. More of a personal preference though, it isn't bad at all.

Off angle viewing gets worse/bluer surprisingly. Thought that wasn't a problem for AMOLED?

Other than that I turned on sRGB and it seems nice and not blowing out the colors like a typical AMOLED. Very nice to include this mode.

Overall it's good but I still prefer the Nexus 5 and 7 LCD color rendering though they are a bit warm. The LG G4 and Sony Z3 compact I had were also great but tuned for a little more cooler spectrum.
    11-04-2015 08:13 PM
    This is really going to depend on our individual eyes. I am coming from the Nexux 5 LCD and now on the 6P and white looks good to me without changing the option in the developers setting. At least the setting is there if you don't like the Amoled presentation of white or the rest of the colors.

What doesn't bother my eyes may bother someone else's, so I don't think anyone can answer this question for anyone else.
    11-04-2015 10:04 PM
    They might be latest generation but they aren't the same that Samsung uses on Note and S series flagships. Those are super amoled. 6p is amoled. Anyone know the difference?
    11-04-2015 10:34 PM
    They might be latest generation but they aren't the same that Samsung uses on Note and S series flagships. Those are super amoled. 6p is amoled. Anyone know the difference?
    Super AMOLED is a Samsung marketing term. The Nexus can have the exact same panel as on the Note but they can't use the Super AMOLED term.
    11-05-2015 12:28 AM
26 12