The Nexus 6P Camera - Preliminary by DxOMark

LezCronut

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
If it is indeed true they have the same camera quality, it is a ridiculously stellar bargain for a N 5X. Cheaper phone with stellar camera? Too good to be true.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
6P has Electronic Image Stabilisation, though don't know how good it will be.

The Z5 has software image stabilization and scored 93 out 100 on DXOMarks and is now the number one ranked camera overall. Every other phone with OIS struggled to get in the 50's or 60's. I guess OIS is overrated.

The 6P's score was 55 out of 100 by the way.

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Do DXO even compare photos or videos side by side, how do they make their evaluation?

dreaming of electric sheep

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
MP doesn't mean much. That's like saying a Sony Z5 23MP camera takes better photo then a Canon G1x at 13MP. We use our phones for social media, not poster size portfolios.
With a 13MP camera on the N6, laser AF, and bigger pixel size, I think it would be a good sensor for a phone especially low light. Less grainy photos and faster shutter speeds for less motion blur.

Only1Z

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Not to mention, the Sony Z5 and Nexus 6P are both 1/2.3" sensors I believe. So they are actually the same size sensors and they are the same as size as standard point and shoot cameras. Science would then tell you that the N6P should be better in low light with its lower pixel count (bigger pixels to let in more light). Usually lower MP sensors yield "cleaner" (less noisier) images if the sensor is the same size. Software plays a role too, but the tools are there for the N6P to be a really great phone camera.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Not to mention, the Sony Z5 and Nexus 6P are both 1/2.3" sensors I believe. So they are actually the same size sensors and they are the same as size as standard point and shoot cameras. Science would then tell you that the N6P should be better in low light with its lower pixel count (bigger pixels to let in more light). Usually lower MP sensors yield "cleaner" (less noisier) images if the sensor is the same size. Software plays a role too, but the tools are there for the N6P to be a really great phone camera.

No doubt it will be a great sensor. Especially if it's from Sony.

FrogVomit

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
EIS is fine for video. The exposure time can't be any longer than 1/30th sec, so blur isn't really a problem. OIS can make a big difference for low light shots where the subject isn't moving, that's about it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
ee6a43a64d9a65583ec6bafadddc936e.jpg

Updated chart with the Z5.

sent via Nexus Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere.

FrogVomit

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Do DXO even compare photos or videos side by side, how do they make their evaluation?

DxOMark is a number that gets determined by computer analysis of a series of test images. So no, I don't believe a human is involved in determining the score. It is a pretty comprehensive suite of tests, and a lot of work has gone into ensuring that the result matches human perception. They publish these test results to get brand recognition for their test suite product, which they sell for big money to camera manufacturers.

lethalray

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
Front facing camera = So the nexus 5x has an f2.0 aperture vs nexus 6p which has an f2.4 aperture. Would that mean that the front facing camera is better on the nexus 5x for low light pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
EIS is fine for video. The exposure time can't be any longer than 1/30th sec, so blur isn't really a problem. OIS can make a big difference for low light shots where the subject isn't moving, that's about it.

Didn't like this part of thier evaluation -> On the downside, the stabilization causes a strong jello effect

Kaido

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
They let the data speak.

Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Android Central Moderator, Gonfaloniere

Yeah, but you could actually SEE for yourself in the video test.

It's like one test is just theoretical mumble jumbo and the other one is a real world application. Unless if my eyes are lying, the Z5's camera shouldn't be considered the current best. Not even in the top 5.

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, but you could actually SEE for yourself in the video test.

It's like one test is just theoretical mumble jumbo and the other one is a real world application. Unless if my eyes are lying, the Z5's camera shouldn't be considered the current best. Not even in the top 5.

Don't you know? It doesn't matter what you can see, it matters what the test tells us. There is no spoon! /s

I've been getting grilled for questioning DXO (especially about the Motorola X PE), and I don't really care. DXO mobile testing is a joke, and their testing methods are flawed. And with the release of their own competing mobile product, they should ALWAYS be questioned now. No one would believe auto testing performed by Ford, as it relates to their competitors. This should not be any different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol