08-04-2016 12:03 PM
26 12
tools
    Did they mention if the Nexus 6p is waterproof? I've got a knack for spilling drinks on my phone and this would be a huge plus for me!
    09-29-2015 09:52 PM
    This was not mentioned.
    09-29-2015 10:37 PM
    I doubt it; that seems like the sort of thing they'd bring up. Not a huge deal for me, but still disappointing. Considering how ubiquitous smartphones have become in our lives, it's somewhat amazing to me that they're still making ones that aren't even thoroughly water resistant. It's kind of ridiculous that something you pay hundreds of dollars for with the express expectation that you'll be bringing and using it everywhere can be destroyed by a heavy rain.
    iusemyfingers, geekaren and RTD212 like this.
    09-29-2015 11:05 PM
    Agreed being somewhat water resistant would be nice. I believe the Nexus 6 is. I'll be coming from Z3 and I've gone from using my phone in the pool, bath, rain and I work around water- not a lot of water where if I'm not careful enough that I'll drop my phone in water, but to where if I'm not careful enough water will get on my phone one way or the other.
    09-29-2015 11:49 PM
    Waterproofness is not even a thing for me
    09-30-2015 12:12 AM
    It wouldn't be as much of an issue if for me if either Otterbox or Lifeproof made a proper case for the phone,but alas that seems unlikely.
    09-30-2015 05:51 AM
    That's correct that the Motorolla Nexus 6 is water resistant (I think just short of complete submersion in water), which was a factor for me, since I ride bikes, and like to take my phone, and sometimes it rains.

I'd have thought everything with a Nexus name would be water resistant, but I guess not.

My wife's Nexus 5X is due to arrive any second now, and I didn't even think about it when ordering, but I hope it is water resistant.
    10-22-2015 02:18 PM
    For all we know it could be similar to the iPhone where they don't advertise, or more importantly don't guarantee, anything but the phone in practice it water resistant.
    10-22-2015 02:22 PM
    Phones need seals inside to even begin waterproofing. Best we can hope for is a bit of water resistance in some form.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-23-2015 05:21 PM
    The Moto G (2015) is water proof and it's $249! This is my phone currently (I'm waiting for the 6p to be back in stock) and I love this feature. didn't think i would, but watching funny videos during my morning shower has quick become one of my fav things
    10-29-2015 02:04 PM
    Its not IP rated for water resistant/proof

but it will survive in water here is a video of the 5X in water
    youtube.com/watch?v=LfweUIe3ueI

I have the 6P and its same way, The inside parts have a coating to block water from actually touching the electrical components
    but water will get in to the phone and mess with speakers if they get too wet, but will keep working.

The iPhone 6s and 6s Plus also seem to sport this feature unannounced by apple also

so it should be fine getting it wet but i wouldnt take it on a swim or anything, rain or puddle drops it will be just fine.
    Decadence1 likes this.
    11-04-2015 08:34 PM
    I doubt it; that seems like the sort of thing they'd bring up. Not a huge deal for me, but still disappointing. Considering how ubiquitous smartphones have become in our lives, it's somewhat amazing to me that they're still making ones that aren't even thoroughly water resistant. It's kind of ridiculous that something you pay hundreds of dollars for with the express expectation that you'll be bringing and using it everywhere can be destroyed by a heavy rain.
    The question is why would we pay hundreds of dollars for a device and not get Nexus protect? $90 for two years of coverage is 3.75 a MONTH. And it is transferrable if you sell your phone so not only are you protected from that dunk in the water or drop but you also get a good selling point when selling your device. A main reason I bought my Nexus from Google and not Huawei was so that I could buy Nexus protect.
    11-04-2015 09:34 PM
    That's correct that the Motorolla Nexus 6 is water resistant (I think just short of complete submersion in water), which was a factor for me, since I ride bikes, and like to take my phone, and sometimes it rains.

I'd have thought everything with a Nexus name would be water resistant, but I guess not.

My wife's Nexus 5X is due to arrive any second now, and I didn't even think about it when ordering, but I hope it is water resistant.

I will sell you my S6 Active?!
    11-04-2015 09:35 PM
    Waterproof phones are very useful.
    11-05-2015 05:44 AM
    We'll see how much moisture it can take when I take it on my runs. Living in Florida, rain and sweat are just a daily part of life.

Luckily I have Nexus Protect.
    11-05-2015 06:52 AM
    The question is why would we pay hundreds of dollars for a device and not get Nexus protect? $90 for two years of coverage is 3.75 a MONTH. And it is transferrable if you sell your phone so not only are you protected from that dunk in the water or drop but you also get a good selling point when selling your device. A main reason I bought my Nexus from Google and not Huawei was so that I could buy Nexus protect.
    It's a 500 dollar phone

90 dollars + 80 dollar deductible = 170 bucks to cover your device "in case" something happens.

Unless you are positive you're going to break it, paying 34% of the cost of the device up front is not worth it. I would rather either keep my money and hedge my bets that I won't break my phone or spend 30 bucks on a great case.

If I drop it and break it...I gotta spend 500 bucks to replace it vs handing a company a chunk of change up front that I may or may not even utilize. If it wasn't a money maker for Google they wouldn't do it...
    11-13-2015 12:12 PM
    Did they mention if the Nexus 6p is waterproof? I've got a knack for spilling drinks on my phone and this would be a huge plus for me!
    If it was, you can bet that it would be highlighted in the official specs. I don't see it there; do you?

Operating System

Android 6.0 Marshmallow

Display

5.7 inches
    WQHD (2560 x 1440) AMOLED display at 518 ppi
    16:9 aspect ratio
    Corning® Gorilla® Glass 4
    Fingerprint and smudge-resistant oleophobic coating

Rear Camera

12.3 MP¹
    1.55 µm pixels
    f/2.0 aperture
    IR laser-assisted autofocus
    4K (30 fps) video capture
    Corning® Gorilla® Glass 4 enclosure
    Broad-spectrum CRI-90 dual flash

Front Camera

8MP camera
    1.4 µm pixels
    f/2.4 aperture
    HD video capture (30 fps)

Processors

Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 810 v2.1
    2.0 GHz Octa-core 64-bit
    Adreno 430 GPU

Memory & Storage²

RAM: 3 GB LPDDR4
    Internal storage: 32 GB, 64 GB, or 128 GB

Dimensions³

159.3 x 77.8 x 7.3 mm

Weight

178 g

Color

Aluminium
    Graphite
    Frost

Media

Dual front-facing stereo speakers
    3 microphones (2 front, 1 rear) with noise cancellation

Battery⁴

3,450 mAh battery
    Fast charging: up to 7 hours of use from only 10 minutes of charging

Wireless & Location

LTE cat. 6
    Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac 2x2 MIMO, dual-band (2.4 GHz, 5.0 GHz)
    Bluetooth 4.2
    NFC
    GPS, GLONASS
    Digital compass
    Wi-Fi use requires 802.11a/b/g/n/ac access point (router). Syncing services, such as backup, require a Google Account.

Network

GSM/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900MHz
    UMTS/WCDMA: B1/2/4/5/8
    CDMA: BC0/1/10
    LTE (FDD): B2/3/4/5/7/12/13/17/25/26/29/30
    LTE (TDD): B41
    CA DL: B2-B2, B2-B4, B2-B5, B2-B12, B2-B13, B2-B17, B2-B29, B4-B4, B4-B5, B4-B13, B4-B17, B4-B29, B41-B41
    Phone is carrier-unlocked with wide-range band support for service providers worldwide. Check with your service provider for more information.

Sensors

Fingerprint sensor
    Accelerometer
    Gyroscope
    Barometer
    Proximity sensor
    Ambient light sensor
    Hall sensor
    Android Sensor Hub

Ports

Single USB Type-C
    Single Nano SIM slot
    3.5 mm audio jack

Material

Anodized aluminum

Other

RGB LED notification light

¹Final resolution of images may be less than 12.3 MP.

²Storage specifications refer to capacity before formatting. Actual formatted capacity will be less.

³Size and weight may vary by manufacturing process.

⁴Actual battery performance will vary and depends on many factors including signal strength, network configuration, age of battery, operating temperature, features selected, device settings, and voice, data, and other application usage patterns.
    11-13-2015 12:28 PM
    It's a 500 dollar phone

90 dollars + 80 dollar deductible = 170 bucks to cover your device "in case" something happens.

Unless you are positive you're going to break it, paying 34% of the cost of the device up front is not worth it. I would rather either keep my money and hedge my bets that I won't break my phone or spend 30 bucks on a great case.

If I drop it and break it...I gotta spend 500 bucks to replace it vs handing a company a chunk of change up front that I may or may not even utilize. If it wasn't a money maker for Google they wouldn't do it...
    Mine was more than 500 and of course you are right. But man do sleep well knowing I have Nexus protect on my Nexus 6P, Apple care plus on my iphone and 5 million in life insurance! You never need it until you need it. In the case of life insurance my kids will get the benefit.

Plus I transfer it when I sell the iPhone. Have 14 sold transactions on swappa and they do sell faster when you have insurance on the phone. Oh and it was 15% of the phone since I have not paid a deducible yet.

Posted via my Nexus 6P!
    11-13-2015 12:30 PM
    Sounds like Jerry Rig Everything needs to do a video to test the waterproof-ness of the 6P.

11-13-2015 01:21 PM
    Its not IP rated for water resistant/proof

but it will survive in water here is a video of the 5X in water
    youtube.com/watch?v=LfweUIe3ueI

I have the 6P and its same way, The inside parts have a coating to block water from actually touching the electrical components
    but water will get in to the phone and mess with speakers if they get too wet, but will keep working.

The iPhone 6s and 6s Plus also seem to sport this feature unannounced by apple also

so it should be fine getting it wet but i wouldnt take it on a swim or anything, rain or puddle drops it will be just fine.
    I'm coming from the original Moto X and yeah similar to DWooderson (whose last year's Nexus 6 would obviously also have been of Moto manufacture) the nano-repellant component coating they touted was a considerable consolation(and certainly a strength since I was just coming from a Samsung Galaxy S Captivate that I'd destroyed in a puddle and was tossing between the Moto and Sony's then-new Z1)
    I expect far more people in these parts have expectations of some degree of waterproofing, I neglected my due diligence verifying such before pulling the trigger this time (spoilt by my Moto which I'm finding so hard to part with even in these first few weeks' transition) so yeah if what you're saying is that this has more of the same I'm golden !D
    12-23-2015 06:36 AM
    If it has the same level of protection as the 5x (likely does) we should be OK. 2 hours underwater with no ill effects is pretty good!
    12-23-2015 01:39 PM
    Last week while canoeing in the Teton Creek I dropped my Nexus 6p in the river. Thankfully I realized it before we paddled away. I was kicking myself for destroying 600 some dollars of equipment.

To my absolute amazement the phone was still on underwater. It was on the river bed about two feet in. Pulled it out and wiped it dry. Still on still working and still able to make calls. LTE 4G signal working, internet connection is working.

The front and back cameras had condensation. But that dried up in two days.

Typed the whole messagee on the it. I will create a video will dip the phone in water to show that this phone can survive immersion in water up to about 2 minutes.

Nexus 6p rocks.
    07-10-2016 04:07 PM
    The superior Samsung phones are water resistant

07-11-2016 05:27 PM
    Troll

07-11-2016 06:36 PM
    The phone is not waterproof but I dropped my Nexus 6p in a lake and spent the next minute and a half trying to find it. It was shallow water so I was lucky enough to get it back. I got it out and it was working for a few min. Then slowly stopped. The touch screen started glitching then everything started glitching. I was camping so I had no rice or anything like that to put it in but about a day later I got home and put it in rice right away. It was out of batteries at this point so I had no idea if it would work. It was in rice for about 2 days then it worked. Later the volume stopped working after about a month. It worked on calls and that's all. I waited it out and they came back after a long 3 months. I don't know if the phone is supposed to be waterproof, but it worked for me.
    08-04-2016 08:03 AM
26 12