Huawei Selling the 6P Direct -- with Caveats

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Huawei Is Selling The Nexus 6P Through Its US Website, Too - Here's Why You Might Want To Consider It

Nexus 6P - GetHuawei.com

According to Android Police, Huawei US is selling the 6P direct, but with some compromises.

1. Only 32 and 64 GB options are offered.

2. Aluminum and Graphite only.

3. No Nexus Protect plan, Store credit, or Play Music option.

4. $35 restocking fee.

BUT

1. There's better chance you'd get your device sooner, ordering stock direct.

2. 5-7 business days

3. * Huawei is shipping from California, and DOESN'T charge sales tax for most states.

To be sure, I tested it out for NY, and sure enough, $499 was my grand total.

Read carefully to decide which option you choose: Direct from Google, or direct from Huawei. Happy shopping! :)

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for posting. I have to consider this. The only real downside for me is the restocking fee as I ordered the 64gb graphite, without nexus protect, and I don't really care about Play Music. So $50 google credit or $38 cash.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for posting. I have to consider this. The only real downside for me is the restocking fee as I ordered the 64gb graphite, without nexus protect, and I don't really care about Play Music. So $50 google credit or $38 cash.

I can only speak for myself as a student, but I'd keep the cash. The prospect of not having to pay state tax is appealing to me, but two years of Nexus Protect is very helpful as well, in case of any problems. I'm torn myself, lol.

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to check out some more photos of the colors. I ordered graphite but am considering changing to aluminum. If I change, I will cancel google order and buy from Huawei. Otherwise I'll just keep my order.

Now just to decide if I want the other color. Argh.

jdot104

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Huawei Is Selling The Nexus 6P Through Its US Website, Too - Here's Why You Might Want To Consider It

Nexus 6P - GetHuawei.com

According to Android Police, Huawei US is selling the 6P direct, but with some compromises.

1. Only 32 and 64 GB options are offered.

2. Aluminum and Graphite only.

3. No Nexus Protect plan, Store credit, or Play Music option.

4. $35 restocking fee.

BUT

1. There's better chance you'd get your device sooner, ordering stock direct.

2. 5-7 business days

3. * Huawei is shipping from California, and DOESN'T charge sales tax for most states.

To be sure, I tested it out for NY, and sure enough, $499 was my grand total.

Read carefully to decide which option you choose: Direct from Google, or direct from Huawei. Happy shopping! :)

Wow. I'm gonna have to check this out. If they don't charge me tax I'll probably order here. I wasn't planning on using the Play Music subscription anyway, and I'd definitely rather save the money from tax (college student here too). Thanks for the heads up!

Sent using Tapatalk

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Wow. I'm gonna have to check this out. If they don't charge me tax I'll probably order here. I wasn't planning on using the Play Music subscription anyway, and I'd definitely rather save the money from tax (college student here too). Thanks for the heads up!

Sent using Tapatalk

You're welcome! :)

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Any idea if getting it replaced if defective (or malfunctions within warranty period) will be more/less difficult than going through Google?

ihtc

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I ordered a 32gb from google yesterday . I just ordered a 64gb from huawei direct just figure. Pits basically same price saving the New York sales tax. However since Google has no restock I'll keep both orders open and see which arrives first . I don't need the storage but I guess for the the same price I'll take a 64gb . However I have the same concern dealing with Google direct may be worth paying the sales tax in the event of a problem .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jdot104

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Well I tried to place an order from Huawei, but their store won't process my order. I might try again later, but maybe this is a sign that I should leave it alone, lol.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
In my experience I'd always order from Google. We know they have a nice return policy, easy cancellation between order and ship, and quick refunds. You never know what you are going to get from Huawei, in addition to everything listed in the OP.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
In my experience I'd always order from Google. We know they have a nice return policy, easy cancellation between order and ship, and quick refunds. You never know what you are going to get from Huawei, in addition to everything listed in the OP.

I guess a $35 restock fee from Huawei might take care of that no tax charge wherever you buy it, too.

lev.b

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
For what it is worth... I just called Huawei's customer service. Their rep said that they expect to release the phones at the same time as google, using the same inventory and distributor. But, then I chatted with another rep who seemed to suggest a different story. Below is the transcript of that chat. Huawei.jpg

ihtc

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I'd wager we still may credit the $50 google play credit. In the past as soon as you turned on and signed into a google account they added promotional credit. either way id rather have the 64gb space for price of 32 with tax and give up the play credit.

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I'd wager we still may credit the $50 google play credit. In the past as soon as you turned on and signed into a google account they added promotional credit. either way id rather have the 64gb space for price of 32 with tax and give up the play credit.

Doubt it. Here is the fine print:

*Good for one $50 credit toward your Google Play™ balance with the purchase of a Nexus 6P or Nexus 5X purchased on the Google Store in the US from September 29, 2015 to October 25, 2015. A promo code will be emailed after the device ships. Google Play credit is not reloadable and has no cash value. Google Play credit must be added to a Google Wallet account by December 31, 2015. Once added, credit must be used on Google Play by October 25, 2016. Google Play credit cannot be used on the Google Store. Some subscriptions excluded. Must be 13+ years old and have existing or activate new Google Wallet account. Promotional offer available while Nexus 6P and Nexus 5X supplies last, no rain checks.

ihtc

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Doubt it. Here is the fine print:

*Good for one $50 credit toward your Google Play™ balance with the purchase of a Nexus 6P or Nexus 5X purchased on the Google Store in the US from September 29, 2015 to October 25, 2015. A promo code will be emailed after the device ships. Google Play credit is not reloadable and has no cash value. Google Play credit must be added to a Google Wallet account by December 31, 2015. Once added, credit must be used on Google Play by October 25, 2016. Google Play credit cannot be used on the Google Store. Some subscriptions excluded. Must be 13+ years old and have existing or activate new Google Wallet account. Promotional offer available while Nexus 6P and Nexus 5X supplies last, no rain checks.

I happened to see that myself after the fact. Thanks for reporting.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I would also order from Google since I know they will honor the warranty, regardless of if the phone is rooted or the bootloader unlocked.