AT&T how do I get a nano SIM and activate

gquiring

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm not very familiar with the process since I always bought my phone from AT&T. My current Galaxy S3 has a micro-sim. When the 6P arrives I am going to need a nano sim. Can I order one in advance and then activate on AT&T's web site or do I need to visit an AT&T store when the phone arrives. Also is AT&T going to charge me an activation fee for the new SIM? If someone could layout how this is done it would be helpful - Thanks.

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
This is one of those things where the rules seem to change every now and then. What's supposed to happen is that activation charges and the rest are a relic of the days when AT&T sold you the phone cheap and made it up (and more) with the contract. But those days are gone, and bringing your own phone should make them happy to keep you. Assuming your Galaxy S3 is fully paid, AT&T should agree to send you a new SIM for the new phone and allow activation for free, provided that the old SIM is simultaneously deactivated (can't let you service two phones for the price of one). I'd suggest a phone call to them to hear what they say. If you don't get the answer you want, call again. If that doesn't work, go to an AT&T store, ask nicely and act shocked if they ask you for money.

TonyStarks260

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
In the past I've done it a couple different ways:

1.) Walk into AT&T store and ask for a nano sim. I did this with my wife's iphone after she had tried an S5 out for a few weeks. They did the setup and everything in the store for me

2.) online chat with AT&T customer support and request a sim shipped to you. That way you can leave it unactivated until you have the new phone.

3.) Wait till you get the phone and go to the store to have them help you activate it. - Sometimes this is tricky because since this is not an AT&T phone, the imei is not recognized by their system. In order to get around this in the past i've given them an imei off an older device, as long as it was still LTE capable.

My suggestion is to try 2 first, since it requires no effort at all and you wont have the phone for a while anyways. Then when it gets here just call up at&t and tell them you need to activate a new sim, and give them the ICCID from it. If they ask for an IMEI just use the one from your S3 and it should be all gravy.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: AT&T how do I get a nano SIM and activate

I'm not sure if anything changed, but back in March I switched from a Nokia Lumia 920 which used a micro SIM to a 2013 Moto X which uses a nano SIM. I stopped at the AT&T store and picked up the nano SIM free of charge. The 2013 Moto X was a used device purchased from someone, not purchased from AT&T.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

gquiring

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

I called AT&T and got the royal screw you treatment. My account is off contract, my current phone was paid off over a year ago. I asked to have a nano sim shipped to my house and they told me to visit a store. I told them the store was not very convenient to me and I would like it mailed. He refused to mail me a sim claiming each nano sim is different and must be ordered to a IMEI number. I tried saying I could register the IMEI number of their web site when the phone arrives but he refused to help. His answer for everything was go to a store. He claims he cannot order a sim without an IMEI number.

gquiring

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

Would buying a nano sim on eBay work? I really don't want to deal with the store. I have been in there in the past and they won't do anything positive if I bring my Nexus 6P in there when it arrives. I have a feeling it's going to be a difficult situation and $5 bucks is not going to break me going the eBay route.

This is what I am looking at:
At T Nano Sim Card New SKU 4FF iPhone 5 6 Go Phone or Contract ATT Genuine | eBay

jdot104

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
If you're willing, you could always cut your micro SIM down to a nano size. It should still work.

Sent using Tapatalk

gquiring

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
If you're willing, you could always cut your micro SIM down to a nano size. It should still work.
That crossed my mine also, I had already read a couple howto articles. I ordered nano sim on eBay shipped for $4. If that saves me the hassle of some used car salesperson AT&T rep the better. I am positive if I went in there requesting a nano sim it will be like buying a new car. I don't want the hassles over a $4 ebay fix.

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

That SIM should work, but you still need AT&T to activate it which means you still need the IMEI number of your new phone. The G3's IMEI may not work here, because the AT&T rep's screen will tell him that that IMEI number does not use a nano-SIM. You can call AT&T again and get a different answer, but more likely than not, you need to wait for the phone and the IMEI before they'll fulfill your request.

gquiring

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

That SIM should work, but you still need AT&T to activate it which means you still need the IMEI number of your new phone. The G3's IMEI may not work here, because the AT&T rep's screen will tell him that that IMEI number does not use a nano-SIM. You can call AT&T again and get a different answer, but more likely than not, you need to wait for the phone and the IMEI before they'll fulfill your request.
I know I have to call it in or activate it myself on their web site but this way I don't have to visit the corporate store and beg for a nano sim. If AT&T support gives me any cr*p I can remind them that the 6P also works on Verizon and I can easily port my number to them. I had a very bad experience at the store 3 years ago and would prefer to stay away from those slimy sales people. They make up stories like they are professional fairy tale authors.

linuxmel

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

I called AT&T and got the royal screw you treatment. My account is off contract, my current phone was paid off over a year ago. I asked to have a nano sim shipped to my house and they told me to visit a store. I told them the store was not very convenient to me and I would like it mailed. He refused to mail me a sim claiming each nano sim is different and must be ordered to a IMEI number. I tried saying I could register the IMEI number of their web site when the phone arrives but he refused to help. His answer for everything was go to a store. He claims he cannot order a sim without an IMEI number.

I would have said then fine you want send me a Sim card, then I'll go to another carrier, so you have lost my business. Looks like they would bent over backwards to keep customers!

Posted via the Android Central App

gquiring

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

I would have said then fine you want send me a Sim card, then I'll go to another carrier, so you have lost my business. Looks like they would bent over backwards to keep customers!

Posted via the Android Central App
That's the really cool feature of this phone is I can jump over to Verizon if AT&T decides to mess with me during activation. That's what happened last year when I went off contract and AT&T refused to put me on the Mobile sharing plan with my existing Galaxy S3 which was fully paid for. When AT&T would not budge and said I must buy a new phone I said well then might as well buy that new phone at Verizon and get the number porting bonus. Then AT&T finally switched me to the off contract plan with my existing phone. That's why I want to try and do this sim with as little contact with AT&T as possible, they are a bunch of used car sales people.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon