Matte Texture on the Nexus 6P Not Aluminum

mona5804

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Check out the Digital Trends hands on article. This was also confirmed when I asked the author of the article what he meant be "plastic" feel on the phone body.
Me: What do you mean by the aluminum feeling a lot like plastic? Is there a matte texture on top? I don't get it.

Jeffrey Van Camp: "Yeah, the Nexus 6P had kind of a matte back to it and when you tapped it, it didn't have that metal tap to it. The reps kept telling me it's aluminum but it didn't feel like it. More of a high-end plastic feel on the back. It wasn't a bad feeling, just not the metal feel that you get from a Galaxy or iPhone this year. But my time was very limited and in a very crowded room."

How is that premium?!

jdot104

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Check out the Digital Trends hands on article. This was also confirmed when I asked the author of the article what he meant be "plastic" feel on the phone body.
Me: What do you mean by the aluminum feeling a lot like plastic? Is there a matte texture on top? I don't get it.

Jeffrey Van Camp: "Yeah, the Nexus 6P had kind of a matte back to it and when you tapped it, it didn't have that metal tap to it. The reps kept telling me it's aluminum but it didn't feel like it. More of a high-end plastic feel on the back. It wasn't a bad feeling, just not the metal feel that you get from a Galaxy or iPhone this year. But my time was very limited and in a very crowded room."

How is that premium?!

This is literally the only place I've heard mention the 6P feeling anything less than premium. Though even if it's true, I feel like the metal on the M8/M9 don't feel quite as good as the iPhone. The Galaxy isn't quite up there either. Regardless, I'm sure it feels fine. I can't really see how metal would ever feel like plastic.

mona5804

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Same here. Maybe it was a different unit or something. Aluminum is Aluminum why would google even try to differentiate it by adding "aeronautical-grade" material. If anyone else is the loop please easy my concerns lol

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if there is a texture difference in how they feel for the different colors. I've never had a metal phone before but would the Aluminum (silver color) be more like bare metal where the other two colors would be painted?

mosincredible

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
MKBHD said in his video the words "so the light weight plus the soft touch finish on the metal and the lack of curves made it really easy to hold." I can't post links since this is my first post but take the space out.

http s://youtu.be/MQ9GDfE3BZg?t=1m1s

I wonder what it feels like. I don't care either way though.

I'm pretty sure whatever the finish is, it was done to make the phone less slippery which aluminum and glass backed phones have been known to be.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Same here. Maybe it was a different unit or something. Aluminum is Aluminum why would google even try to differentiate it by adding "aeronautical-grade" material. If anyone else is the loop please easy my concerns lol

Aluminum is not aluminum. Aeronautical grade just refers to the properties of the aluminum that was used for the phone. It's not like they used aluminum foil for it, that would be silly. It just means "industrial strength", or "heavy duty". It's probably an aluminum alloy, where it's the predominant metal used.

Posted via the Android Central App

mona5804

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
how does that explain the matte texture on the phone? unless the reason is to make it somewhat water resistant like the moto x pure otherwise it seems like that texture would hinder the premium feel we all want. Digital Trends has been around for a while now, if he says it feels like plastic then I'm inclined to believe it.

redlinecoatings

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
how does that explain the matte texture on the phone? unless the reason is to make it somewhat water resistant like the moto x pure otherwise it seems like that texture would hinder the premium feel we all want. Digital Trends has been around for a while now, if he says it feels like plastic then I'm inclined to believe it.
The texture would be either anodizing or some other form of coating to protect the aluminum and give it color. Raw aluminum is not pretty and it will oxidize just from the oils on your hands.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

It's just brushed aluminum, as opposed to having a glossy finish. That's what matte is. I assume it helps with the grip of the phone when in hand. It doesn't make it any less premium. I've looked at and read a whole bunch of initial impressions since yesterday, including digital trends, and none others have said that the phone doesn't feel premium in hand, in spite of its thinness and lightness.

dankev

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Is it possible the guy doesn't know what anodized aluminum feels like? It's a somewhat duller feeling surface than bare aluminum, and he might be confusing it for plastic.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
The texture would be either anodizing or some other form of coating to protect the aluminum and give it color. Raw aluminum is not pretty and it will oxidize just from the oils on your hands.

Yes, thank you. I have seen the words "anodized aluminum " used when referring to this device and others made of metal.

MerkurMan

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I would guess that there is some type of plasticized coating on the aluminum which confused him. Also, there appears to be a plastic antenna/sensor panel at the bottom of the back side of the phone.

mona5804

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I think i finally get it. Since its anodized its going to have that matte feeling to it. Similar how a macbook pro's aluminum feels. That's not a bad thing at all. Great news in fact :)

jdot104

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I think i finally get it. Since its anodized its going to have that matte feeling to it. Similar how a macbook pro's aluminum feels. That's not a bad thing at all. Great news in fact :)

When I first checked into this thread I ran my hands over my MBP to see if there was a difference between it and the aluminum on smartphones. If it feels like my laptop I won't be mad. I hope it'll be just a tiny bit smoother, but it should feel great in hand either way.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
A textured finish is a good thing. Less slippery in hand, less evident when it inevitably gets scratches and dings on it, less reflective in sunlight.

teamnowak

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
One of the reviews, and I don't remember which one right now, said it has a very good grip for an all metal phone. I suspect that (the non-slippery grip) along with the light weight of the phone gave that reviewer the impression of it being plastic-y.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I would guess that there is some type of plasticized coating on the aluminum which confused him. Also, there appears to be a plastic antenna/sensor panel at the bottom of the back side of the phone.

There won't be a "plasticized" anything on the phone, that's silly.

And the antennas are under the "visor" (glass area around the camera, flash and laser focus). It's not an all metal unibody design, with a huge plastic part.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
There won't be a "plasticized" anything on the phone, that's silly.

And the antennas are under the "visor" (glass area around the camera, flash and laser focus). It's not an all metal unibody design, with a huge plastic part.

Except there is. If you look at the pictures you can see the antenna breaks in the case *very* clearly. there are two to the left and right of the camera/glass on the back curving around the side, and two on the bottom flanking the USB-C port near the sides. All metal body phones have them. My Note 4 has them, the iPhone 6 and 6s (regular and plus) have them, etc. Also , nobody said it had huge plastic parts, but that there were plastic areas.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Except there is. If you look at the pictures you can see the antenna breaks in the case *very* clearly. there are two to the left and right of the camera/glass on the back curving around the side, and two on the bottom flanking the USB-C port near the sides. All metal body phones have them. My Note 4 has them, the iPhone 6 and 6s (regular and plus) have them, etc. Also , nobody said it had huge plastic parts, but that there were plastic areas.
I understand how the antennas work. I've seen other metal phones.

If you read the original post that I quoted the implication was there is a plastic "panel" at the bottom of the phone, which is definitely not the case. They interpreted the antenna strips as a break in the metal unibody.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2