10-05-2015 10:50 AM
33 12
tools
    Check out the Digital Trends hands on article. This was also confirmed when I asked the author of the article what he meant be "plastic" feel on the phone body.
    Me: What do you mean by the aluminum feeling a lot like plastic? Is there a matte texture on top? I don't get it.

Jeffrey Van Camp: "Yeah, the Nexus 6P had kind of a matte back to it and when you tapped it, it didn't have that metal tap to it. The reps kept telling me it's aluminum but it didn't feel like it. More of a high-end plastic feel on the back. It wasn't a bad feeling, just not the metal feel that you get from a Galaxy or iPhone this year. But my time was very limited and in a very crowded room."

How is that premium?!
    09-30-2015 06:56 PM
    Check out the Digital Trends hands on article. This was also confirmed when I asked the author of the article what he meant be "plastic" feel on the phone body.
    Me: What do you mean by the aluminum feeling a lot like plastic? Is there a matte texture on top? I don't get it.

Jeffrey Van Camp: "Yeah, the Nexus 6P had kind of a matte back to it and when you tapped it, it didn't have that metal tap to it. The reps kept telling me it's aluminum but it didn't feel like it. More of a high-end plastic feel on the back. It wasn't a bad feeling, just not the metal feel that you get from a Galaxy or iPhone this year. But my time was very limited and in a very crowded room."

How is that premium?!
    This is literally the only place I've heard mention the 6P feeling anything less than premium. Though even if it's true, I feel like the metal on the M8/M9 don't feel quite as good as the iPhone. The Galaxy isn't quite up there either. Regardless, I'm sure it feels fine. I can't really see how metal would ever feel like plastic.
    09-30-2015 07:00 PM
    Same here. Maybe it was a different unit or something. Aluminum is Aluminum why would google even try to differentiate it by adding "aeronautical-grade" material. If anyone else is the loop please easy my concerns lol
    09-30-2015 07:05 PM
    I wonder if there is a texture difference in how they feel for the different colors. I've never had a metal phone before but would the Aluminum (silver color) be more like bare metal where the other two colors would be painted?
    09-30-2015 07:43 PM
    He reviewed the silver aluminum version. Idk maybe its nothing
    09-30-2015 07:52 PM
    MKBHD said in his video the words "so the light weight plus the soft touch finish on the metal and the lack of curves made it really easy to hold." I can't post links since this is my first post but take the space out.

http s://youtu.be/MQ9GDfE3BZg?t=1m1s

I wonder what it feels like. I don't care either way though.

I'm pretty sure whatever the finish is, it was done to make the phone less slippery which aluminum and glass backed phones have been known to be.
    09-30-2015 07:53 PM
    Same here. Maybe it was a different unit or something. Aluminum is Aluminum why would google even try to differentiate it by adding "aeronautical-grade" material. If anyone else is the loop please easy my concerns lol
    Aluminum is not aluminum. Aeronautical grade just refers to the properties of the aluminum that was used for the phone. It's not like they used aluminum foil for it, that would be silly. It just means "industrial strength", or "heavy duty". It's probably an aluminum alloy, where it's the predominant metal used.

Posted via the Android Central App
    So Cold, qnet and spawndoodling like this.
    09-30-2015 07:59 PM
    how does that explain the matte texture on the phone? unless the reason is to make it somewhat water resistant like the moto x pure otherwise it seems like that texture would hinder the premium feel we all want. Digital Trends has been around for a while now, if he says it feels like plastic then I'm inclined to believe it.
    09-30-2015 10:57 PM
    how does that explain the matte texture on the phone? unless the reason is to make it somewhat water resistant like the moto x pure otherwise it seems like that texture would hinder the premium feel we all want. Digital Trends has been around for a while now, if he says it feels like plastic then I'm inclined to believe it.
    The texture would be either anodizing or some other form of coating to protect the aluminum and give it color. Raw aluminum is not pretty and it will oxidize just from the oils on your hands.
    09-30-2015 11:19 PM
    It's just brushed aluminum, as opposed to having a glossy finish. That's what matte is. I assume it helps with the grip of the phone when in hand. It doesn't make it any less premium. I've looked at and read a whole bunch of initial impressions since yesterday, including digital trends, and none others have said that the phone doesn't feel premium in hand, in spite of its thinness and lightness.

09-30-2015 11:20 PM
    Is it possible the guy doesn't know what anodized aluminum feels like? It's a somewhat duller feeling surface than bare aluminum, and he might be confusing it for plastic.
    09-30-2015 11:23 PM
    The texture would be either anodizing or some other form of coating to protect the aluminum and give it color. Raw aluminum is not pretty and it will oxidize just from the oils on your hands.
    Yes, thank you. I have seen the words "anodized aluminum " used when referring to this device and others made of metal.

09-30-2015 11:25 PM
    I would guess that there is some type of plasticized coating on the aluminum which confused him. Also, there appears to be a plastic antenna/sensor panel at the bottom of the back side of the phone.

09-30-2015 11:28 PM
    I think i finally get it. Since its anodized its going to have that matte feeling to it. Similar how a macbook pro's aluminum feels. That's not a bad thing at all. Great news in fact
    10-01-2015 12:11 AM
    I think i finally get it. Since its anodized its going to have that matte feeling to it. Similar how a macbook pro's aluminum feels. That's not a bad thing at all. Great news in fact
    When I first checked into this thread I ran my hands over my MBP to see if there was a difference between it and the aluminum on smartphones. If it feels like my laptop I won't be mad. I hope it'll be just a tiny bit smoother, but it should feel great in hand either way.
    10-01-2015 01:04 AM
    A textured finish is a good thing. Less slippery in hand, less evident when it inevitably gets scratches and dings on it, less reflective in sunlight.
    10-01-2015 01:37 AM
    One of the reviews, and I don't remember which one right now, said it has a very good grip for an all metal phone. I suspect that (the non-slippery grip) along with the light weight of the phone gave that reviewer the impression of it being plastic-y.
    10-01-2015 01:32 PM
    I would guess that there is some type of plasticized coating on the aluminum which confused him. Also, there appears to be a plastic antenna/sensor panel at the bottom of the back side of the phone.

There won't be a "plasticized" anything on the phone, that's silly.

And the antennas are under the "visor" (glass area around the camera, flash and laser focus). It's not an all metal unibody design, with a huge plastic part.
    10-01-2015 01:40 PM

And the antennas are under the "visor" (glass area around the camera, flash and laser focus). It's not an all metal unibody design, with a huge plastic part.
    Except there is. If you look at the pictures you can see the antenna breaks in the case *very* clearly. there are two to the left and right of the camera/glass on the back curving around the side, and two on the bottom flanking the USB-C port near the sides. All metal body phones have them. My Note 4 has them, the iPhone 6 and 6s (regular and plus) have them, etc. Also , nobody said it had huge plastic parts, but that there were plastic areas.
    10-02-2015 06:44 AM

Except there is. If you look at the pictures you can see the antenna breaks in the case *very* clearly. there are two to the left and right of the camera/glass on the back curving around the side, and two on the bottom flanking the USB-C port near the sides. All metal body phones have them. My Note 4 has them, the iPhone 6 and 6s (regular and plus) have them, etc. Also , nobody said it had huge plastic parts, but that there were plastic areas.
    I understand how the antennas work. I've seen other metal phones.

If you read the original post that I quoted the implication was there is a plastic "panel" at the bottom of the phone, which is definitely not the case. They interpreted the antenna strips as a break in the metal unibody.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    10-02-2015 08:36 AM
    I've been rewatching some of the hands-on videos and if you look closely at the 6P, you can see the metallic texture of the phone. I'm not sure how the guy in the OP's post felt any plastic, but I don't have any doubt that it'll feel super premium in hand.
    10-02-2015 09:47 PM
    I understand how the antennas work. I've seen other metal phones.

If you read the original post that I quoted the implication was there is a plastic "panel" at the bottom of the phone, which is definitely not the case. They interpreted the antenna strips as a break in the metal unibody.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    I believe there is a plastic panel at the bottom of the phone. Take a look at this picture:

Matte Texture on the Nexus 6P Not Aluminum-nexus-6p-event-5-1280x960.jpg

and

Matte Texture on the Nexus 6P Not Aluminum-nexus_6p_vs_iphone_6plus.jpg

and

Matte Texture on the Nexus 6P Not Aluminum-1452267007849796525.jpg

There is a very clear texture change between the main back panel of the phone and the bottom panel. It looks very much like a metallic colored plastic insert to me. Photos of the phones from the event in all three colors of the Nexus 5 show that same less shiny part at the bottom. Contrast this with HTC M9, in which all panels of the back have the same texture that is clearly metal.

Matte Texture on the Nexus 6P Not Aluminum-htc-one-m8-colors.png

There are however renders of Nexus 6P, like this one below, that have the bottom panel looking the same as the rest of the obviously metal back. These renders also have some differences with the photographs of the phones from the event (e.g., the ring around the fingerprint sensor on the graphite phone being shiny in the render, but dark in the photos from the event). I wonder if the event phones were prototypes, and the final shipping models will have that bottom panel being metal as well.

Matte Texture on the Nexus 6P Not Aluminum-nexus-6p-1.jpg
    10-03-2015 11:43 PM

They mention that there does appear to be a plastic piece at the back bottom section

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/13...remium-android

It has a*full metal body, although that’s broken by the black bar that houses the camera and there's a section at the bottom that appears to be plastic, presumably to ensure that you always get a good signal – although it's body coloured and barely noticeable.*
    10-04-2015 08:03 AM
    I like how the phone looks overall, but wonder if they should have put another visor at the bottom instead of the plastic cap to make it more symmetrical. The iPhone 5/5s had glass inserts in the top and the bottom, and they were considered masterpieces of design to overcome antennagate.
    10-04-2015 09:35 AM
    I think what was on the bottom of the phones in the hands on demo was probably a sticker. Maybe the we're covering up something they didn't quite want shown? Maybe FCC info or something. It's not unheard of for companies to do this. Maybe one of the reviewers can chime in. If it was a sticker covering something I'm sure they were instructed not to remove it...

aaron_huber likes this.
    10-04-2015 09:55 AM
33 12