Finger Print Reader placement.

John2128

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
I love nexus phones but I am worried about the fingerprint reader being placed on the back. If the phone is in my hand it seems like a natural place to put it but if my phone is on the table it means I have to pick up the phone to unlock it instead of just pressing the homekey as on my galaxy s6 edge. Also I use a mount in my car and it would be impossible to reach the fingerprint scanner when its in the mount. Just curious what other people thought about the scanner on the back in these use case scenarios.

*update

thanks for the responses, I understand trusted places and that could definetly be a workaround in the car where I use it to listen to podcasts so I need to unlock the phone to select a podcast or reply to a text (only when stopped, I realize the danger of doing this while driving.) but more importantly there are many times in my day where I place the phone on a table in a meeting and sometimes want to unlock it to check a message or something and just feel that to have to pick up the phone so I can put my finger on the back in inconvenient. I think in the hand the back is probably easier than the home button but I think apple/samsung/one plus are right in putting it in there. I think overall it will end up being the most convenient.

Last edited:

Runningwarrior08

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Not valid for everyone but I use trusted Bluetooth. So when my watch is in range it stays unlocked. Or when it connects in my car while in my dock it stays unlocked. When I walk out of range it will re-lock.

Although I know most like the placement. I prefer the z5's placement more.

Posted via the Android Central App

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
1) of you just want to see what notifications you have, the 6P has ambient display. But unfortunately you will have to unlock with PIN if you don't want to pick it up.
2) you can set up your car as a Trusted Device if you have bluetooth in your car stereo.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
The OP talks about the S6, but I'd have to say those that have used the Moto devices with their rear dimple like myself feel it's a very natural place to pick up a device and feel the spot... I know it's right side up without even looking at my phone. I don't use a mount in my vehicle, so I guess that might be an issue, but like one person above mentioned they use trusted bluetooth, which you could do with your vehicle.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
personally I prefer it in the back, and I don't envision using it all that often so I'd rather have it or of sight.

as far as the car mount, what would you be doing in a car that you'd need a fingerprint sensor for? sounds dangerous!

Forest Dane

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
If it's being used in the car in a mount then I'd have thought it would be via Bluetooth anyway. Surely mounted you have the screen always on?

Posted via the Android Central App

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Seems hard to argue the placement of the reader on the back is not disappointing when phone often used while it's lying on the desk. When walking around, back sounds fine.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams