10-25-2015 10:08 PM
31 12
tools
    Am I the only one thinking these two are deal breakers?
    Pretty much. There is no perfect phone. Remember there is no OIS on the iPhone 6s, and most people say it is a great camera. I will take a metal body over inductive charging any day...
    CoMoNexus and jdot104 like this.
    10-08-2015 12:15 PM
    Wireless charging is overrated. I have the Note 4 and after getting slow charging and sometimes no charging (accidentally moving the phone on the wireless charger at night) I much prefer the "normal" way of wired charging. I'll gladly take USB C over wireless charging.

From the various articles on the camera, I don't think missing OIS will be a big deal for me. I've read it might impact those who record video, but that's a rare thing for me. Having better low light performance is more important IMO.
    10-08-2015 01:34 PM
    OIS is mostly beneficial for video since you're keeping the shutter open (obviously) to record.

For still images it's fine if the pixels are 1.55um like Google has done because the shutter is open for a short amount of time thus limiting the impact of movement.
    10-08-2015 02:55 PM
    No OIS isn't a big deal. If I want a good picture, I'll get an actual camera out instead of trying to make my phone into something it's not.

Wireless charging is not a big deal either. I would only use that at home, while I would still be plugging in my phone in my car or at the office so to get bent out of shape about 1/3 use case scenarios is a waste of my time.

Edit: Also, until wireless chargers are built into most of my surfaces, I don't really care for it.
    10-09-2015 03:50 AM
    Had they included OIS, that would have helped both stills AND video... but not having it with stills isn't that big a deal. Google can crank the exposure times down a bit due to the increased light sensitivity. The smaller those pixels are, the less light they'll process... the less light they'll process, the longer you have to expose... and without OIS, you open yourself up to noisy, blurry pics. The 6P's sensor is significantly larger, so that problem is mitigated somewhat. Going to that DXOMark review... the only one we have at the moment, they said that the 6P blew away the competition when it came to taking low light pictures. Yes, it would have been better if they had OIS, but as is, without OIS, it does a pretty damn good job.

Now... with video, it's a far different story. Image stabilization, hardware or software based, is critical to video to smooth out the shakes and rattles. We really haven't seen any video samples from the 6P, so we have no idea how well the EIP works. DXOMark's video scores suffered a bit due to the lack of OIS, but we haven't seen anything.... I'd like to see how much it affects the video quality.

So, not having OIS for the camera isn't going to amount to much of anything. Not having it on the video side of things might knock it down a peg, but it might end up taking decent video in any case. Seeing as I am not filming any major motion pictures on my phone any time soon, I'm not all that concerned.
    10-09-2015 09:47 AM
    I think the pictures will still be fine. I've managed to do without ois in every other phone I've owned. I can do without for another year.

Initially I was disappointed to hear there was no wireless charging. Then I realized that I don't even know where my two wireless charging pads are (and I've not used them on over 6 months).

And when I think about it. The only place where wireless charging would really come on handy for me would be in the car. However because of the heart that gets generated out would be a bad idea (yeah I did rig something up).

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-25-2015 10:08 PM
31 12