10-25-2015 10:08 PM
31 12
tools
    Am I the only one thinking these two are deal breakers?
    10-06-2015 11:45 PM
    I'm not a big picture taker so ois isn't a big deal to me but I do agree that the lack of wireless charging is a deal breaker, it just seems dumb to stop offering that feature after having 3 nexus with it and especially now that samsung has come out with quick charge wireless
    10-07-2015 12:33 AM
    Not a big deal
    10-07-2015 01:03 AM
    Wireless charging is a big deal to me. I don't take many pictures, so OIS isn't a big deal.

Wireless charging is one of my favorite things

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-07-2015 05:02 AM
    I take some pictures with mine, but not enough to for that to be a deal breaker. Plus I have several DLSR cameras.

Wireless charging, while not a complete deal breaker, is something I use daily, and my last 3 Nexus devices had it.

Personally, I don't see the 6P as an upgrade from a 6.
    10-07-2015 07:09 AM
    No wireless charging would be a deal breaker to deal breaker if I was interested but I stopped being interested when they went with a smaller display but honestly half the people who buy smart phones only look at display size and how many songs and pictures it can hold . They won't even notice the lack of wireless charging until a week or two later.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    10-07-2015 07:24 AM
    The problem with wireless charging is that it's slow, sometimes slower than regular charging. As convenient as it is, it just doesn't charge fast enough. I finally got around to getting a few quick charging plugs and cables and the speed of charging is astounding. Typically 30% to full in 45 min or so. I would not go back.
    Emperor, andreo, jdot104 and 4 others like this.
    10-07-2015 11:30 AM
    I've got wireless charging on the nexus 5 and quick "turbo" charging on the moto x PE. The fast charging is way better than wireless charging. I've had so many times I wake up to a dead or nearly dead nexus because it was slightly off center on the charging pad and once you get fast charging you'll never want to give it up.

Plus I'll take the all metal construction (the reason there's no wireless charging) and judging by the common positive response to this phone I'm not alone on that.

It's hard to say what the effect of not having OIS will be before getting hands on reviews of the phone. They are saying the camera will be fine without and it wouldn't be the first phone to forego OIS and still have a good camera.

If these features are a deal breaker to you what device would you prefer?
    soulglo, qnet, Bamm83 and 4 others like this.
    10-07-2015 12:29 PM
    Wireless charging is a low priority for me, but OIS would have been nice. Neither is a deal breaker obviously, since I bought one.
    DamianP and haydenpup like this.
    10-07-2015 12:43 PM
    Not at all a deal breaker for me. I love fast charging and haven't been impressed by wireless charging. As long as it takes decent photos, I'm good on the ois. It doesn't have to be the best camera to be the best phone for me. I feel it's the Nexus I've been waiting for. I'm coming from a Verizon note 4.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    qnet and Premium1 like this.
    10-07-2015 02:23 PM
    It seems the excitement over the build of this phone far outweighs the drop of wireless charging.

And again, judging the camera by that 1 spec alone is just silly. Be glad they are touting the camera as a good quality Sony sensor.

Seriously though, to anyone who says these are deal breakers, name a better phone.
    jdot104 and qnet like this.
    10-07-2015 02:35 PM
    OIS wasn't used for cost or the sake keeping form factor of Nexus 6P. Wireless charging hasn't ever been done in the metal phone yet? I know Qualcomm release technology to do so a couple months ago but that would be too soon for OEM to actually put tech in use. They couldn't put wireless charging in 5X and leave out the "premium" 6p.
    10-07-2015 02:47 PM
    I don't understand why wireless charging is needed if the phone lasts a full day on a charge. A single plug in at the end of the night seems doable and if you need to top it off, a 20 min charge goes a long way. OIS could be major to me (though no phone even had it until last year) as it does seem to have an impact though only in a small majority of shots with still subjects in low light.
    jdot104 likes this.
    10-07-2015 02:49 PM
    I bought a wireless charger for my Nexus 4 but rarely use it. It takes too long, and the phone gets too hot. USB-C is fine for me.
    10-07-2015 02:54 PM
    What I have noticed this year when researching smartphones to upgrade to from my Note 3 is that there really isn't a perfect smartphone that ticks every single box for you. There will always be a smartphone you come across that has one big downside to it whether it is size, missing feature, price, battery life etc. I guess you just have to look at the features you want most out of the device and make compromises over the negatives.
    10-07-2015 03:07 PM
    It's not dealbreakers for me either. I will only miss wireless charging because I have some chargers I've been using for a few years. Having USB-C outweighs that. I also have other phones that didn't have wireless charging and did ok without it. The OIS I care about even less. I take pictures but no as much as some people.

I'm so excited about the 6P, that it's hard for me to imagine someone not wanting the phone because those two features are missing. Every year it's always something someone doesn't like, myself included. Usually it's the no SD card slot & removable battery, but I haven't heard that as much this time.

I don't blame anyone, I do the same thing. I got an invite for the OnePlus two, but not having NFC and having USB-C without fast charging were dealbreakers for me.
    10-07-2015 03:17 PM
    I'm really going to miss wireless charging, but it isn't a deal breaker. I'm not super surprised since we have yet to see an all metal phone with it.

As for the camera. OIS will not make or break any camera. case in point: the iPhone. the 6S doens't have OIS, the plus does. image quality between them: virtually identical.
    qnet likes this.
    10-07-2015 03:29 PM
    I would very much like wireless charging. I don't have it on my current phone, but it is on my kids' tablets. It's super convenient, especially considering our previous kid tablet usb port broke from too much kid use. Fast charging sounds fine, but I usually just charge at night. My typical routine is to read my phone in bed, then set it down and plug it in in the dark. I would like to be able to set it on a charging pad instead of having to plug it in.

I'm not that concerned with OIS. Most of my important pictures are of my kids, and the issue is THEM moving, not camera shake. If this sensor actually grabs more light and can use a faster shutter speed, that will help more than OIS.
    reefrunway likes this.
    10-07-2015 05:32 PM
    Wireless charging was OK, I wasn't heavily invested in it. It takes too long, and makes the back of the phone hot. I prefer quick charging, I've been spoiled by the N6 and its quick charging.

CoMoNexus likes this.
    10-07-2015 05:35 PM
    I'm planning on putting the phone in a TPU case and then use one of the inductive charging coils under the case. Hopefully they release the new ones with USB C soon.
    10-07-2015 06:02 PM
    I will definitely miss wireless charging but it's by no means a deal breaker.

On OIS, I'm going to wait and see how well the "EIS" performs on the 6P. It might not be as good as but I'm sure the picture quality will be fine for most situations.
    10-07-2015 06:10 PM
    I have neither on my note 3 so no loss

10-07-2015 06:37 PM
    l'll give up the wireless charging I have with the nexus 5 for a 3,450 mAh battery that has fast charging in a heartbeat, no questions asked, any day.

This is totally my opinion but wireless charging was just a way to pass off bad battery life, "hey that battery sucks!, yeah but you can just drop it on a charger real easy".

Google wants to give me a 3,450 mAh!!!!!!!! (did I mention I'm stoked for that battery) battery in a crazy thin metal body. I start throwing bills, say take my money and give it to me.
    10-07-2015 07:37 PM
    6P has EIS

Anyways, here's Google's official answer on the matter:

Making up for no OIS: “We’ve done a bunch of things to provide image stabilization: 1. The Nexus 6P/5X has a large 1.55um pixel camera and the amount of motion blur due to hand-shake is lower , when you have large pixels. 2. We have a feature we call “lucky shot” internally. When you take a picture, behind the scenes, we select the best of 3 bursts of images. 3. When you use video, we have optic-flow-based image stabilization. 4. When you use SmartBurst, we select the best image from the burst (for example a shot with eyes open).”

More on cameras: “Yea, same sensor (IMX377) and F/2.0 optics. But 6P has more CPU/GPU horsepower so has a few additional features like 240fps slomo (vs 120fps on 5X), Smartburst, and EIS.”

Why no wireless (Qi) charging: “We added Qi wireless charging starting with N4 because plugging in USB micro B was such a hassle! (Which way is up!?) With this year’s Nexii, we support USB Type-C which has a reversible connector so there’s no more guessing. AND it charges incredibly swiftly: 1% to 100% in 97 mins on the 6P for example (the first ~45 mins of charging is especially fast). Meanwhile, wireless charging adds z (thickness). So, ease of plugging in + fast charging + optimizing for thinness made us double down on Type-C instead of wireless!”
    Source: http://www.droid-life.com/2015/09/30...ging-and-more/
    reefrunway likes this.
    10-07-2015 09:04 PM
    I thought lack of wireless charging would be a deal breaker....but now I have a preorder for a 6P.
    10-08-2015 10:14 AM
31 12