64GB and 128GB Out of Stock

kembry

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Google always sells Nexus devices in limited # because nexus devices don't make much of a profit. Google has to make sure every patch is not over demand but actually under to ensure not loss in profit.

I'm really curious if Google ever sees Nexus as a profit proposition.

Posted via the Android Central App

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

With 6p prices ranging from $499 to $649 there has to be profit margin factored in. With bulk component costs and today's mfg technology, I would figure there to be $200+ profit on each phone. The question would be how much profit is split between Huawei and Google. Obviously, this is probably a drop in the bucket for Google as their bread and butter is search/advertising/content.

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised it took this long.

Why? It's a pre-order, it shouldn't run out (especially when they are advertising Play store credits with a pre-order).
Can you imagine if Apple did the same with the iPhone? People would lose their minds and there would be articles all around the Internet.

Pre-orders should never run out, even if they can't give a concrete date on delivery.

LordLugard

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Not pre-ordering or buying anything until I see some detailed reviews, preferably from Anandtech first.

The 6P isn't going anywhere, I don't need to have it day one, etc.

Lots of other things to play with in the interim anyway...

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I was on the fence about preordering. I kept telling myself "I'll just wait till about a week before they start shipping" because why hold up so much money for so long.

Your credit card is not charged until the phone actually ships, so your money is not held up.

Hunter Petit

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I believe that was a good thing, think about it. Last year they said they will be improving on producing Nexuses when they release.

This year, more people seemed to be buying a Nexus than last year. They obviously produces way more Nexus 5Xs and 6Ps than 6s last year. If it's sold out now then they must really be a success.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Why? It's a pre-order, it shouldn't run out (especially when they are advertising Play store credits with a pre-order).
Can you imagine if Apple did the same with the iPhone? People would lose their minds and there would be articles all around the Internet.

Pre-orders should never run out, even if they can't give a concrete date on delivery.

I don't disagree with you, but if you've ever ordered Nexus phones from Google the past few years, you should know what I'm talking about ( I don't know if you have or not). The ordering process whether it's a preorder or not has always been strange. That's why I said I was surprised it took this long. Everything had been going smoothly, much smoother than the past, so I assumed they had got better at doing this.

A lot of people, including myself, who really wanted the phone ordered I as soon as possible, because we didn't want to take any chances. Even ordering early is no guarantee that you won't be waiting longer than expected, or people who ordered after you will get their phone before you do.

SmogHog

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
You can still pre-order the 64GB it via Huawei directly : Nexus 6P - GetHuawei.com

When I did this, I saved $50 on sales tax. Also, they have a decent financing option if you don't want to use project Fi.

When you buy directly from Huawei is the Protect option available?

No $50 Pllay Store Credit

No Google Store Support

I bought my N6 directly from Motorola.When I had issues Google support referred me to Motorola.They could not help.I eventually resolved the issue myself after getting no help from Motorola and Google by using the WugFresh Nexus Toolkit

Last edited:

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

Google sees Nexus not as profitable adventure in selling the hardware but in the publicity that Google gets. The verge released a interesting article that Nexus devices are now ads for Google. The article states the OEM partners don't care for nexus program. Their is no profit really made in hardware they sell with Google. The reason OEM partners make nexus products is to work with GoogIe engineers to better implement next Android OS in there non Nexus devices. Back to the nexus devices which I still believe are great devices but just no longer halo devices that Nexus line was know for.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
A lot of people, including myself, who really wanted the phone ordered I as soon as possible, because we didn't want to take any chances. Even ordering early is no guarantee that you won't be waiting longer than expected, or people who ordered after you will get their phone before you do.

Ahem to that. The original Nexus 7 I preorder in the first 15 minutes of launch. However those who preorder before deadline which was weeks after preorder launch got their devices first. People where able to go to store and pick Nexus 7 before preorders started to ship for most people.

Google is not Apple and Nexus devices are not iPhone. Nexus devices are not a product that masses pay attention to are aware of. Simply Nexus devices are not popular. So Google produces stock that is under demand to ensure the OEM partner and themselves break even. Nexus devices sold close to cost and demand is not high enough to make a real profit.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
When you buy directly from Huawei is the Protect option available?

No $50 Pllay Store Credit

No Google Store Support

I bought my N6 directly from Motorola.When I had issues Google support referred me to Motorola.They could not help.I eventually resolved the issue myself after getting no help from Motorola and Google by using the WugFresh Nexus Toolkit

No "Nexus Protect" unless bought from Google. No play store credit either.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Your credit card is not charged until the phone actually ships, so your money is not held up.

I placed an order the afternoon the 6P was announced just to see what the shipping time frame was. The charge showed up on my AMEX and was still there two days later when I cancelled the order. It's gone now, but I agree with Poseign. At least one, if not two, billing cycles would have passed by the initial shipping time frame.

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Ahem to that. The original Nexus 7 I preorder in the first 15 minutes of launch. However those who preorder before deadline which was weeks after preorder launch got their devices first. People where able to go to store and pick Nexus 7 before preorders started to ship for most people.

Google is not Apple and Nexus devices are not iPhone. Nexus devices are not a product that masses pay attention to are aware of. Simply Nexus devices are not popular. So Google produces stock that is under demand to ensure the OEM partner and themselves break even. Nexus devices sold close to cost and demand is not high enough to make a real profit.

LOL, maybe in the past this was the case, but there is definitely a good chunk of profit to be made when selling these phones for $550-$650 (most of the ones selling are 64 and 128s). They are no longer scraping the bottom of the barrel so to speak.

b2k1121

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Not pre-ordering or buying anything until I see some detailed reviews, preferably from Anandtech first.

The 6P isn't going anywhere, I don't need to have it day one, etc.

Lots of other things to play with in the interim anyway...

You could always just preorder, then spend the 2 week return/refund period testing it out yourself rather than relying on online reviews.

hpilot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I placed an order the afternoon the 6P was announced just to see what the shipping time frame was. The charge showed up on my AMEX and was still there two days later when I cancelled the order. It's gone now, but I agree with Poseign. At least one, if not two, billing cycles would have passed by the initial shipping time frame.

I ordered using my VISA Debit Card, and I have no charges!

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
LOL, maybe in the past this was the case, but there is definitely a good chunk of profit to be made when selling these phones for $550-$650 (most of the ones selling are 64 and 128s). They are no longer scraping the bottom of the barrel so to speak.
Cost device are really close to build cost. Nexus devices appeal to small niche market. The market is not big enough and demand does not last long enough to generate any real profit. Nexus program has been like this for years the 5x and 6p are no different. It's been stated by reputable tech news blogs that OEM partners don't make much profit off the hardware they make in Nexus Program. They purely do it for RD,on next Android OS to use for non Nexus devices and lesser OEM's do if also for the publicity.