11-09-2015 10:34 PM
104 1234 ...
tools
    I was on the fence about preordering. I kept telling myself "I'll just wait till about a week before they start shipping" because why hold up so much money for so long.
    Your credit card is not charged until the phone actually ships, so your money is not held up.
    10-12-2015 11:24 AM
    I believe that was a good thing, think about it. Last year they said they will be improving on producing Nexuses when they release.

This year, more people seemed to be buying a Nexus than last year. They obviously produces way more Nexus 5Xs and 6Ps than 6s last year. If it's sold out now then they must really be a success.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-12-2015 11:35 AM
    Why? It's a pre-order, it shouldn't run out (especially when they are advertising Play store credits with a pre-order).
    Can you imagine if Apple did the same with the iPhone? People would lose their minds and there would be articles all around the Internet.

Pre-orders should never run out, even if they can't give a concrete date on delivery.
    I don't disagree with you, but if you've ever ordered Nexus phones from Google the past few years, you should know what I'm talking about ( I don't know if you have or not). The ordering process whether it's a preorder or not has always been strange. That's why I said I was surprised it took this long. Everything had been going smoothly, much smoother than the past, so I assumed they had got better at doing this.

A lot of people, including myself, who really wanted the phone ordered I as soon as possible, because we didn't want to take any chances. Even ordering early is no guarantee that you won't be waiting longer than expected, or people who ordered after you will get their phone before you do.
    fatboy97 likes this.
    10-12-2015 12:04 PM
    You can still pre-order the 64GB it via Huawei directly : Nexus 6P - GetHuawei.com

When I did this, I saved $50 on sales tax. Also, they have a decent financing option if you don't want to use project Fi.
    When you buy directly from Huawei is the Protect option available?

No $50 Pllay Store Credit

No Google Store Support

I bought my N6 directly from Motorola.When I had issues Google support referred me to Motorola.They could not help.I eventually resolved the issue myself after getting no help from Motorola and Google by using the WugFresh Nexus Toolkit
    10-12-2015 01:11 PM
    I'm really curious if Google ever sees Nexus as a profit proposition.

Google sees Nexus not as profitable adventure in selling the hardware but in the publicity that Google gets. The verge released a interesting article that Nexus devices are now ads for Google. The article states the OEM partners don't care for nexus program. Their is no profit really made in hardware they sell with Google. The reason OEM partners make nexus products is to work with GoogIe engineers to better implement next Android OS in there non Nexus devices. Back to the nexus devices which I still believe are great devices but just no longer halo devices that Nexus line was know for.
    10-12-2015 01:13 PM

A lot of people, including myself, who really wanted the phone ordered I as soon as possible, because we didn't want to take any chances. Even ordering early is no guarantee that you won't be waiting longer than expected, or people who ordered after you will get their phone before you do.
    Ahem to that. The original Nexus 7 I preorder in the first 15 minutes of launch. However those who preorder before deadline which was weeks after preorder launch got their devices first. People where able to go to store and pick Nexus 7 before preorders started to ship for most people.

Google is not Apple and Nexus devices are not iPhone. Nexus devices are not a product that masses pay attention to are aware of. Simply Nexus devices are not popular. So Google produces stock that is under demand to ensure the OEM partner and themselves break even. Nexus devices sold close to cost and demand is not high enough to make a real profit.
    qnet and xocomaox like this.
    10-12-2015 01:27 PM
    You can still pre-order the 64GB it via Huawei directly : Nexus 6P - GetHuawei.com

When I did this, I saved $50 on sales tax. Also, they have a decent financing option if you don't want to use project Fi.
    Without the option for external SD card, I would have to get the 128GB model. But I see that on Huawei's site, you cannot get the 128GB model.
    10-12-2015 01:44 PM
    When you buy directly from Huawei is the Protect option available?

No $50 Pllay Store Credit

No Google Store Support

I bought my N6 directly from Motorola.When I had issues Google support referred me to Motorola.They could not help.I eventually resolved the issue myself after getting no help from Motorola and Google by using the WugFresh Nexus Toolkit
    No "Nexus Protect" unless bought from Google. No play store credit either.
    10-12-2015 02:00 PM
    Your credit card is not charged until the phone actually ships, so your money is not held up.
    I placed an order the afternoon the 6P was announced just to see what the shipping time frame was. The charge showed up on my AMEX and was still there two days later when I cancelled the order. It's gone now, but I agree with Poseign. At least one, if not two, billing cycles would have passed by the initial shipping time frame.
    10-12-2015 03:17 PM
    Ahem to that. The original Nexus 7 I preorder in the first 15 minutes of launch. However those who preorder before deadline which was weeks after preorder launch got their devices first. People where able to go to store and pick Nexus 7 before preorders started to ship for most people.

Google is not Apple and Nexus devices are not iPhone. Nexus devices are not a product that masses pay attention to are aware of. Simply Nexus devices are not popular. So Google produces stock that is under demand to ensure the OEM partner and themselves break even. Nexus devices sold close to cost and demand is not high enough to make a real profit.
    LOL, maybe in the past this was the case, but there is definitely a good chunk of profit to be made when selling these phones for $550-$650 (most of the ones selling are 64 and 128s). They are no longer scraping the bottom of the barrel so to speak.
    10-12-2015 04:36 PM
    Not pre-ordering or buying anything until I see some detailed reviews, preferably from Anandtech first.

The 6P isn't going anywhere, I don't need to have it day one, etc.

Lots of other things to play with in the interim anyway...
    You could always just preorder, then spend the 2 week return/refund period testing it out yourself rather than relying on online reviews.
    10-12-2015 05:10 PM
    I'm actually fine with the 32 gb model it shouldn't be a huge issue

10-12-2015 05:19 PM
    I placed an order the afternoon the 6P was announced just to see what the shipping time frame was. The charge showed up on my AMEX and was still there two days later when I cancelled the order. It's gone now, but I agree with Poseign. At least one, if not two, billing cycles would have passed by the initial shipping time frame.
    I ordered using my VISA Debit Card, and I have no charges!

co.ag.2005 likes this.
    10-12-2015 05:20 PM
    Yes, I agree that MS is co-opting the Google Docs model, except of course it isn't free!
    10-12-2015 08:23 PM
    LOL, maybe in the past this was the case, but there is definitely a good chunk of profit to be made when selling these phones for $550-$650 (most of the ones selling are 64 and 128s). They are no longer scraping the bottom of the barrel so to speak.
    Cost device are really close to build cost. Nexus devices appeal to small niche market. The market is not big enough and demand does not last long enough to generate any real profit. Nexus program has been like this for years the 5x and 6p are no different. It's been stated by reputable tech news blogs that OEM partners don't make much profit off the hardware they make in Nexus Program. They purely do it for RD,on next Android OS to use for non Nexus devices and lesser OEM's do if also for the publicity.
    10-13-2015 01:19 AM
    I don't disagree with you, but if you've ever ordered Nexus phones from Google the past few years, you should know what I'm talking about ( I don't know if you have or not). The ordering process whether it's a preorder or not has always been strange. That's why I said I was surprised it took this long. Everything had been going smoothly, much smoother than the past, so I assumed they had got better at doing this.

same here ... I flew through checkout just praying my order would go through. Was shocked it went so smoothly. Google obviously underestimated the 6p demand, but given their track record it's a dramatic improvement. They can't market their Nexus brand cause of their relationship with other OEMs, but they could drop $10 billion like Samsung in advertising and sell 50 million of these if they wanted to. Call me a fanboy, but the 6p will be the best Android phone made (relative to the year) when it's all said and done. I'll be disappointed if it's anything less quite honestly ... Glad I got in at launch, even if it means waiting for a few bugs to get smoothed out before it runs the way I know it will (just watched a YouTube clip so kinda excited!!).
    qnet likes this.
    10-13-2015 01:24 AM
    Agree w your point, but just cause they're sold out doesn't mean the 64/128 outsold the 32 ... I wouldn't be shocked if the 32 is their best seller, certainly they'll move more of them than the 128. Just from reading the forums, a lot of people have said they bought the 32. And also for whatever reason, people lie or exaggerate on here and claim to have stuff they don't (like when u call someone out and they suddenly disappear!!).

Anyway, to your point, definitely agree!
    10-13-2015 01:33 AM
    same here ... I flew through checkout just praying my order would go through. Was shocked it went so smoothly. Google obviously underestimated the 6p demand, but given their track record it's a dramatic improvement. They can't market their Nexus brand cause of their relationship with other OEMs, but they could drop $10 billion like Samsung in advertising and sell 50 million of these if they wanted to. Call me a fanboy, but the 6p will be the best Android phone made (relative to the year) when it's all said and done. I'll be disappointed if it's anything less quite honestly ... Glad I got in at launch, even if it means waiting for a few bugs to get smoothed out before it runs the way I know it will (just watched a YouTube clip so kinda excited!!).
    I agree. I'm really excited about the Nexus 6P. Last year there were a lot of criticisms of the Nexus 6, even before it was shipped. While I don't blame reviewers for their criticisms, the Nexus 6P IMO is giving them less to criticize. The price is better, it has the latest Amoled Samsung screen, It has a fingerprint scanner, and the build quality is better.

The only unknowns are the battery and camera.
    10-13-2015 09:09 AM
    Cost device are really close to build cost. Nexus devices appeal to small niche market. The market is not big enough and demand does not last long enough to generate any real profit. Nexus program has been like this for years the 5x and 6p are no different. It's been stated by reputable tech news blogs that OEM partners don't make much profit off the hardware they make in Nexus Program. They purely do it for RD,on next Android OS to use for non Nexus devices and lesser OEM's do if also for the publicity.
    I would disagree with you there. Most devices run in the $200-300 range for their parts, whereas they sell for around $450-750. The only Nexus devices that ran close on cost have been made by LG or Asus (the 4, 5, 5x, & the two 7s), otherwise most Nexus devices have been priced around the same as their competition.

As for the reason most OEMs don't make much profit off the Nexus program, it's because they are making a device for someone else. Samsung makes a Galaxy device and all the profits go to them, Samsung makes a Nexus device, and the profit is split between them and Google. On the LG and Asus Nexus devices, Google essentially waived their profits and convinced the two OEMs to take a minimum of profit (like around $10 or so IIRC) off them.
    10-13-2015 09:58 AM
    I agree. I'm really excited about the Nexus 6P. Last year there were a lot of criticisms of the Nexus 6, even before it was shipped. While I don't blame reviewers for their criticisms, the Nexus 6P IMO is giving them less to criticize. The price is better, it has the latest Amoled Samsung screen, It has a fingerprint scanner, and the build quality is better.

The only unknowns are the battery and camera.
    And if the low light photos leaked on Reddit were legitimate then it looks like the camera is going to be quite the contender as well, at the very least in low light situations

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    10-13-2015 10:26 AM
    I would disagree with you there. Most devices run in the $200-300 range for their parts, whereas they sell for around $450-750. The only Nexus devices that ran close on cost have been made by LG or Asus (the 4, 5, 5x, & the two 7s), otherwise most Nexus devices have been priced around the same as their competition.

As for the reason most OEMs don't make much profit off the Nexus program, it's because they are making a device for someone else. Samsung makes a Galaxy device and all the profits go to them, Samsung makes a Nexus device, and the profit is split between them and Google. On the LG and Asus Nexus devices, Google essentially waived their profits and convinced the two OEMs to take a minimum of profit (like around $10 or so IIRC) off them.
    I will just leave at this.http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/1/94...-6p-phones-ads

I never heard build cost us average $200 to $300 seems a absurd number given fact all devices are not made equal. All OEM's for example don't get same processor at same price because demand and location may vary. Also we have inflation, currency exchange and taxes which fluctuate that build cost. Even if they sold them at average mark up ( Nexus 6p and specs easily a $700 dollar phone or more if you look at equivalevent phones)they don't sell enough long enough for build cost turn round. The higher demand the build cost will slowly go down because making same device becomes cheaper. The initial investment OEM(RD,Shipping,Manufacturing and Marketing) put in device is to large for niche market to meet that investment with real overhead of profit.
    10-13-2015 12:41 PM
    Does anybody know if they will be Restocking the 64 and 128 gig models.....?
    Im going to be really mad if i cant preorder one..
    I was holding off till a week or so before hand just in case somebody found some big issues with it in reviews.
    i have been saving for an entire year and waiting for the right phone, and now its sold out suddenly.
    10-13-2015 03:28 PM
    Does anybody know if they will be Restocking the 64 and 128 gig models.....?
    I'd be shocked if Google didn't.
    10-13-2015 03:59 PM
    I will just leave at this.Google's Nexus phones are just ads | The Verge

I never heard build cost us average $200 to $300 seems a absurd number given fact all devices are not made equal. All OEM's for example don't get same processor at same price because demand and location may vary. Also we have inflation, currency exchange and taxes which fluctuate that build cost. Even if they sold them at average mark up ( Nexus 6p and specs easily a $700 dollar phone or more if you look at equivalevent phones)they don't sell enough long enough for build cost turn round. The higher demand the build cost will slowly go down because making same device becomes cheaper. The initial investment OEM(RD,Shipping,Manufacturing and Marketing) put in device is to large for niche market to meet that investment with real overhead of profit.

Teardown analysis reveals iPhone 6 production costs - GSMArena.com news

Most flagship devices have production and labor costs around $200-300. Lower end devices like the Moto G or E will cost less, but generally that's what most top tier devices cost to make. The difference is Apple has a higher markup on their devices than others do, which is why they always show having upwards of 90% of the mobile industry's profits, even though there are more devices running Android. I realize that their are other factors as you have mentioned, like R&D, logistics and advertising, but then again, how much does Google advertise it's devices? Nowhere near the amount that comoanies like Apple or Samsung for that matter do. The higher demand will only effect build costs if you secure a better deal on parts and materials because you're buying in a larger quantity.

As far as the article you linked, that was probably the last place to get information from concerning Android, let alone a Nexus device. And some of the things they said were more of a "Duh" statement than anything else. Google builds the Nexus to advertise Android. Yeah, just like every other company does like Apple with iOS, Microsoft with Windows Phone, etc. If they would've ditched the Nexus line early on, or never had it at all, there would be at least 5 different and distinct versions of Android, and that's only in the US. There'd be Touchwiz Android, Sense Android, Blur Android, and LG and Sony's versions of Android, and all looking completely different from one another. Even though the Nexus line doesn't sell in large quantities, it did more to quell how far OEMs went afield from stock android. Maybe not through sheer sales numbers, but by how vocal the Nexus community was, advocating for a more stock experience due to how poor the performance was and how slow updates were coming to skinned devices. Imagine if the OEMS went unchecked in what they did with Android, they'd be needing deca-core devices just to run smoothly. The Nexus line, IMHO, is a reality check in the world of Android, and how it should be. You get the essentials, a good base to build the phone how you want to.
    10-13-2015 05:31 PM
    Teardown analysis reveals iPhone 6 production costs - GSMArena.com news

Most flagship devices have production and labor costs around $200-300. Lower end devices like the Moto G or E will cost less, but generally that's what most top tier devices cost to make. The difference is Apple has a higher markup on their devices than others do, which is why they always show having upwards of 90% of the mobile industry's profits, even though there are more devices running Android. I realize that their are other factors as you have mentioned, like R&D, logistics and advertising, but then again, how much does Google advertise it's devices? Nowhere near the amount that comoanies like Apple or Samsung for that matter do. The higher demand will only effect build costs if you secure a better deal on parts and materials because you're buying in a larger quantity.

As far as the article you linked, that was probably the last place to get information from concerning Android, let alone a Nexus device. And some of the things they said were more of a "Duh" statement than anything else. Google builds the Nexus to advertise Android. Yeah, just like every other company does like Apple with iOS, Microsoft with Windows Phone, etc. If they would've ditched the Nexus line early on, or never had it at all, there would be at least 5 different and distinct versions of Android, and that's only in the US. There'd be Touchwiz Android, Sense Android, Blur Android, and LG and Sony's versions of Android, and all looking completely different from one another. Even though the Nexus line doesn't sell in large quantities, it did more to quell how far OEMs went afield from stock android. Maybe not through sheer sales numbers, but by how vocal the Nexus community was, advocating for a more stock experience due to how poor the performance was and how slow updates were coming to skinned devices. Imagine if the OEMS went unchecked in what they did with Android, they'd be needing deca-core devices just to run smoothly. The Nexus line, IMHO, is a reality check in the world of Android, and how it should be. You get the essentials, a good base to build the phone how you want to.
    Though Google and OEM Partners don't put much in RD and Marketing as their competitors. The build cost of devices is same. Then cut consumer markup (the market up is supposed to cover marketing,shipping and taxes) for demand that is fraction of your competitors.
    Google cuts mark up.
    Build Cost same as competitor

The competitors buying in at larger stock for the higher demand which gives them build cost of $200 to $300 )Google is buying smaller stock for lower demand. Therefore there build cost would not be higher because of the lack stock they are actually buying.

You missed the point of article I was referring to. The author clearly states :

NEXUS DEVICES ARE A HEADACHE FOR GOOGLE'S ANDROID PARTNERS

It almost seems innocuous, except that it's not. There isn't a single Android device manufacturer that is happy with the Nexus program, and I've spoken with them all. Those who build Nexuses for Google often do so reluctantly — with the possible exception of Huawei this year, whose*US reputation*stands to improve dramatically from the halo effect of being associated with Google by manufacturing the Nexus 6P. Still, neither Huawei nor LG, maker of the Nexus 5X, expects to make much direct profit from these new phones: they are priced aggressively and distributed narrowly, so there'll be little (if any) profit per device and few devices sold overall. Like Google, all a Nexus manufacturer can hope to gain is the benefit of indirect marketing and a better reputation among Android diehards.
    10-13-2015 06:51 PM
104 1234 ...