11-10-2015 09:37 AM
29 12
tools
    I'm using a Galaxy S6 and the screen is amazing on this phone. How will the 6P's screen compare? I realize the 6P's screen is probably manufactured by Samsung. I'm just hoping in terms of color and quality the 6P will be similar to the S6.
    10-12-2015 05:12 PM
    I thought I heard it was the same screen. Look around for the AMA on reddit with the Google engineers. They addressed it.
    10-12-2015 05:28 PM
    Based on what I've read, its pretty much the same screen that's in the Note 5.

Posted via the Android Central App and my Galaxy S6
    SaracenSam and truebruin like this.
    10-12-2015 06:11 PM
    In the Reddit AMA they stated that it is the "latest generation" Samsung AMOLED. Whatever that means.
    10-12-2015 09:31 PM
    In the Reddit AMA they stated that it is the "latest generation" Samsung AMOLED. Whatever that means.
    My take is that it's the same screen as on the Note 5.

I hope they calibrated it better than Samsung do. I find the S6 too oversaturated.
    10-13-2015 03:13 AM
    The only difference between AMOLED and Super AMOLED is that the Super AMOLED has an integrated digitized which allows for a thinner device. It has nothing to do with the quality or accuracy of the display.
    Drago27 likes this.
    10-13-2015 09:05 AM
    The only difference between AMOLED and Super AMOLED is that the Super AMOLED has an integrated digitized which allows for a thinner device. It has nothing to do with the quality or accuracy of the display.
    here is a better explanation http://forums.androidcentral.com/nex...ml#post4721823

both has super Amoled display but other OEM's are not allowed to call it super Amoled

So the nexus 6p also has Super Amoled
    Drago27, AustinIllini and jdot104 like this.
    10-13-2015 09:29 AM
    here is a better explanation http://forums.androidcentral.com/nex...ml#post4721823

both has super Amoled display but other OEM's are not allowed to call it super Amoled

Marketing is just so silly.
    10-13-2015 09:39 AM
    Well, once they are out in the wild, people will be able to take a close look at the screens to determine what they are.
    10-13-2015 10:38 AM
    No no way. I don't want super saturated colors from Samsung!
    I want more natural colors like iPhone.
    10-13-2015 11:37 AM
    Yea, I totally hear you on that. My iPhone 6+ screen is amazing in terms of realistic color gamut and such.
    co.ag.2005 likes this.
    10-13-2015 12:10 PM
    Actually they said...

"Yep, confirmed: Nexus 6P has the latest generation panels from Samsung. One of things we deeply care for is the quality and accuracy of the display through which all of us connect with the stuff we care about. We created a very tight spec (white-point temperature, delta-E variance, color-space accuracy, etc) for the 6P WQHD AMOLED panel, so it was important that we use the most cutting edge panel technology available."
    Latest generation panels (note the plural) doesn't mean the same panels Samsung's using themselves. All the things Google talked about in the above quote are panel tuning not the physical characteristics of the panel. Samsung's sold panels to other OEMs but none to-date have been the latest and greatest Samsung's used in their then current flagships. The S5 and Note 4's panels could be considered "latest generation" but the S6 improved on them and the Note 5 improved on the S6 even though the same panel design (Diamond Pixels) is shared between all of them. If you were Samsung would you put your latest and greatest in another OEMs competitive phone when you make $5 on a panel and several hundred on a phone? Assuming it's a Note 4 equivalent panel in the 6P that's still a fine place to be.
    drone3 likes this.
    10-13-2015 01:11 PM
    Actually they said...

Latest generation panels (note the plural) doesn't mean the same panels Samsung's using themselves. All the things Google talked about in the above quote are panel tuning not the physical characteristics of the panel. Samsung's sold panels to other OEMs but none to-date have been the latest and greatest Samsung's used in their then current flagships. The S5 and Note 4's panels could be considered "latest generation" but the S6 improved on them and the Note 5 improved on the S6 even though the same panel design (Diamond Pixels) is shared between all of them. If you were Samsung would you put your latest and greatest in another OEMs competitive phone when you make $5 on a panel and several hundred on a phone? Assuming it's a Note 4 equivalent panel in the 6P that's still a fine place to be.
    Samsung stands to make money on it so why not? They have kept afloat for a while in mobile partly due to making Apple's SoC. While it's not their design, it is their tech and silicon. I'm not saying it's the best panel they offer, but they'd be remiss to think it's not worth their money.
    10-13-2015 01:18 PM
    Latest generation panels (note the plural) doesn't mean the same panels Samsung's using themselves.
    Yes, it does.
    10-14-2015 01:42 PM
    But it certainly doesn't mean the color palette and gamut are configured the same.
    10-15-2015 10:15 AM
    But it certainly doesn't mean the color palette and gamut are configured the same.
    I sure hope it is because the screen on my note 5 is the best everything looks like it jumps out at you. if the nexus 6p that I ordered doesn't live up to that and takes the road of the nexus 6 then it will be returned.
    10-15-2015 04:48 PM
    google specifically mentioned that they spend considerable amount of time tweaking the screen.

Also no review has said anything bad about the display yet
    10-16-2015 02:08 PM
    I didn't know amoled and super amoled were basically the same thing display wise. It's very reminiscent of Apple trying to claim that their retina display is some how better than other display with higher ppi.
    10-16-2015 03:05 PM

That may be part of it, but in this article, and a few others as well, it backs up what I said.

Difference Between AMOLED and Super AMOLED | Difference Between | AMOLED vs Super AMOLED

Now Samsung may very well have muddied the waters and all AMOLED screens have the integrated digitized, but they want to keep the name for their own devices, but this is what the difference between regular and Super Amoled meant. However today what you say may be true.
    10-16-2015 06:21 PM
    I don't know if it will be the same on the 6p, but IIRC on Samsung devices you had the ability to change between different modes (more saturation, more accurate color, etc) similar to what they have on HDTVs (cinema mode, sports more, gaming mode, etc) that adjust the colors for the image being displayed. However, since stock Android usually doesn't have those options, well probably be left with how it's set from the factory.
    10-16-2015 06:25 PM
    I don't know if it will be the same on the 6p, but IIRC on Samsung devices you had the ability to change between different modes (more saturation, more accurate color, etc) similar to what they have on HDTVs (cinema mode, sports more, gaming mode, etc) that adjust the colors for the image being displayed. However, since stock Android usually doesn't have those options, well probably be left with how it's set from the factory.
    That's right, if you don't like the highly saturated default choice Samsung phones let you change it in settings. I wish more phones had that feature!
    10-16-2015 09:37 PM
    and that setting was on stock Lollipop on the Moto X Pure Edition (Vibrant or Normal) and I believe I've seen hands on with the 6p show the same setting. So, Vibrant for the over saturation of colors, and Normal for the accurate color display.
    Moto X Style / Pure Edition tips and tricks

I'll try to find the hands on video that showed this setting on the 6p (unless I was imagining it). Also, I do recall a hands on saying the colors looked very accurate and crisp.

EDIT:
    "Unfortunately, the Nexus 6 shipped with a very poorly calibrated AMOLED display with low brightness. When I first used the Nexus 6P I was very upset to see that it was clearly oversaturated like the Nexus 6, but there's more to the story this time around. In the Nexus 6P's developer settings there is a switch to enable an sRGB mode, and when this switch is turned on the Nexus 6P's display appears to have similar color rendition to the Nexus 5X which is a very good sign. While we'll need to get a review unit in order to analyze all of the display's attributes, I am hopeful that Google has recognized and fixed the issues with the Nexus 6's display in the Nexus 6P."
    http://anandtech.com/show/9669/hands...exus-5x-and-6p
    10-16-2015 10:31 PM
    I had the XPE and the display was really good, but coming from a note 4 it felt under saturated. The 6p bring amoled whether as good as s6 or not will be a step up in my book.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    10-17-2015 03:59 AM
    Motorola has used the term Super AMOLED for their displays. It's not just Samsung that is allowed to use the term..
    Drago27 likes this.
    10-17-2015 09:05 PM
    and that setting was on stock Lollipop on the Moto X Pure Edition (Vibrant or Normal) and I believe I've seen hands on with the 6p show the same setting. So, Vibrant for the over saturation of colors, and Normal for the accurate color display.
    Moto X Style / Pure Edition tips and tricks

I'll try to find the hands on video that showed this setting on the 6p (unless I was imagining it). Also, I do recall a hands on saying the colors looked very accurate and crisp.

EDIT:
    "Unfortunately, the Nexus 6 shipped with a very poorly calibrated AMOLED display with low brightness. When I first used the Nexus 6P I was very upset to see that it was clearly oversaturated like the Nexus 6, but there's more to the story this time around. In the Nexus 6P's developer settings there is a switch to enable an sRGB mode, and when this switch is turned on the Nexus 6P's display appears to have similar color rendition to the Nexus 5X which is a very good sign. While we'll need to get a review unit in order to analyze all of the display's attributes, I am hopeful that Google has recognized and fixed the issues with the Nexus 6's display in the Nexus 6P."
    Hands On With the Nexus 5X and 6P
    tried this, and the colors look dull and flat with sRGB
    11-09-2015 11:52 PM
29 12