Is there any reason why Google Voice (phone number forwarding) would not work using Verizon?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Currently, I have a Google Voice phone number (my cell number for 15 years). I use Google Voice make/receive all calls and text from that number, despite whatever my phone's SIM card phone number is. I think I read that this function does not work if are using Project Fi. As long as I have my 6P's SIM card assigned to Verizon (or any other carrier except for Project Fi), will this still work?

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
What are you currently using? Are you saying you want to switch to Fi but are afraid of losing google voice? If you join Project Fi, you can either use your google voice number as your main number, "or" import your carrier's number, which would then delete your old google voice number.

If you're just on Verizon, then your verizon number is totally separate from your google voice number. Nothing about your google voice account changes. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
What are you currently using? Are you saying you want to switch to Fi but are afraid of losing google voice? If you join Project Fi, you can either use your google voice number as your main number, "or" import your carrier's number, which would then delete your old google voice number.

If you're just on Verizon, then your verizon number is totally separate from your google voice number. Nothing about your google voice account changes. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

No, I don't wont to use Fi. I plan on staying with Verizon and using my Google Voice number regardless of what my SIM number for the 6P is. From what you said, sounds like that will work. I just wanted to be sure that when I call people, they see my number as the Google Voice number, not the SIM number. Likewise, when people dial my Google Voice number, the call comes to me 6P. I thought I remember reading that on Fi, that type of Google Voice function (using a number other than your SIM's number) no longer works, which is fine with me. I wasn't sure if that was a Fi thing or a new Nexus thing.