Nexus 6p on att

shamdawg

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Went in. Asked to switch sim sizes and she said no problem. They don't have adapters, though. You must buy one and bring it in. They will then swap to a nano sim, you slip it in the adapter and put it in the Nexus 5.
Did she give you the nano sim to take home or do you have to go in when your 6P comes in and they will do it? I would rather get it and do it myself at home then let a stranger handle my new 128gb graphite baby!

anon(8328984)

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I was told differently by two different AT&T agents. Since I still owe device installments they can't transfer my main number to a Nexus device unless I pay off those installments. So I have to cancel my order with Nexus because I can't pay those device installments off right now. So much for that idea. AT&T said you can switch out the SIM cards as long as you are purchasing the said devices thru AT&T. But if you bring your own device, and want to use an existing phone number, there can't be any installments due. They won't let you do that. Really makes me mad. No Nexus for me right now.

That's not true. I work for an authorized ATT retailer. It does not matter what phone you have on your number, even if your on a next plan. You can change the sim and imei on the account as much as you want. Of course you will still have your next plan payments on your plan, but you can use any other phone you want.

Posted via the Android Central App

BlueBirdCA

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Went in my AT&T store after i got my nanoSIM adaptor. They didnt swap the SIM... the gal just took it and punched it with a trimmer. I put it in my adaptor and inserted it in my Note3 no problems.

Halofury

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
When you walk into Att you don't need to ask about remaining payments on next plan or anything... Just walk in like a boss and ask for a sim card for your phone... And hey it works every time... I owe two next Installment phones and I switch around phones all the time...

Recently I just bought a sim adaptor to save me trip to store for new sim everytime

nrfitchett4

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I was told differently by two different AT&T agents. Since I still owe device installments they can't transfer my main number to a Nexus device unless I pay off those installments. So I have to cancel my order with Nexus because I can't pay those device installments off right now. So much for that idea. AT&T said you can switch out the SIM cards as long as you are purchasing the said devices thru AT&T. But if you bring your own device, and want to use an existing phone number, there can't be any installments due. They won't let you do that. Really makes me mad. No Nexus for me right now.

They lied. Just order a sim cutter tool on amazon. I have never carried my phone the full 2 years.
Do a test. Borrow someone else's phone that has AT&T bands and put your sim in it. It will work.
But this is another reason why I'm never getting devices from carriers ever again. Even their own employees don't have a clue.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Some have suggested cutting a micro sim to get it to fit in the 6P. I don't think you can cut a micro sim down to the size of a nano sim. The chip in the micro sim is too big. The chip alone in a micro sim is definitely taller than the height of the plastic around a nano sim chip.

As far a getting a new nano sim at an AT&T store, can they activate it w/o actually having my 6P? I can give the ESN if needed. I don't want those dudes getting their grubby hands on my new phone.

shamdawg

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Some have suggested cutting a micro sim to get it to fit in the 6P. I don't think you can cut a micro sim down to the size of a nano sim. The chip in the micro sim is too big. The chip alone in a micro sim is definitely taller than the height of the plastic around a nano sim chip.

As far a getting a new nano sim at an AT&T store, can they activate it w/o actually having my 6P? I can give the ESN if needed. I don't want those dudes getting their grubby hands on my new phone.
I'm thinking the same thing. Don't touch my 6p!

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site

You can cut it down, though it does help if you file the top a bit, and particularly around the edges of the SIM. Having said that, you are better off getting a new SIM, especially with how easy it is to swap the SIM at an AT&T store.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
They lied. Just order a sim cutter tool on amazon. I have never carried my phone the full 2 years.
Do a test. Borrow someone else's phone that has AT&T bands and put your sim in it. It will work.
But this is another reason why I'm never getting devices from carriers ever again. Even their own employees don't have a clue.

Exactly. As long as you have an AT&T compatible device all you have to do is switch out the SIM. I do it all the time for phones I buy from AT&T and ones I don't. The 6P is AT&T compatible.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

You can just go in there and ask for a nano sim. They should just activate a new sim for you and you'll be set. If you want to bring the phone just in case, maybe do that. Just put it in yourself and don't let them touch it. All you need att for is to give you a new sim and activate it. Everything else is the same.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I hope I don't get stuck w/one of their really clueless staff trying to "help" me. But it seems like just mentioning "Nexus" to anyone there really raises the clueless factor.

I have a T-Mobile nano sim I can use if I want to put off having to deal w/those losers for awhile. OK, I'm done.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
So, I'm in the store now w/o my 6P, and this pr|ck is telling me they no longer do "blind" activations as of two months ago.

He's gonna give me a sim anyway, and I can try over the phone to get it activated. Anyway, got that TMobile sim in there now. Phone is awesome!

nrfitchett4

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

They sell micro to nano sim cutters. The chip is the same size in all the sim cards, plastic is just bigger.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
OK, they hooked me up over the phone; I'm go to go.

My experience dealing w/AT&T usually tends not to be so positive. Fortunately, that wasn't the case this time.

They sell micro to nano sim cutters. The chip is the same size in all the sim cards, plastic is just bigger.

Maybe in some cases. I've got both in front of me, and the chip alone in the micro is definitely taller than the full height of the nano sim.

shamdawg

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
OK, they hooked me up over the phone; I'm go to go.

My experience dealing w/AT&T usually tends not to be so positive. Fortunately, that wasn't the case this time.

Maybe in some cases. I've got both in front of me, and the chip alone in the micro is definitely taller than the full height of the nano sim.
Are they just going to mail you the nano sim?

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Are they just going to mail you the nano sim?

No he got the nano sim in store and he activated it over the phone himself.

Which, I just did the same thing. They don't just activate the sim without the phone present anymore. For whatever reason, they want the imei now. Maybe to keep track of what's being used. Idk, but it went smoothly for me.