Sub-par battery life test?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: How are you getting 5-6 hours of SOT?

May be because everyone's usage is different and it's not that everyone should get same screen on time.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Poor cell signal will def hurt your battery life. Do you have doze set to optimize all apps?

Kevin Harvell

May 31, 2012
Visit site

I doubt I will get that good of life as I've got too many email and Twitter accounts to manage.

Posted via the AC App

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Poor cell signal will def hurt your battery life. Do you have doze set to optimize all apps?

Cell signal is def the biggest culprit for battery drain, usually. At my old job. I had 1-3 bars of signal, and my phone would die on the desk in a matter of hrs. At my new job I have full bars, and standby time is 5x better.

Posted via the Android Central App

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

The only things I can't optimize are DMService and Google Play services
Me to. I have gotten 5hrs of screen on time tho. But my signal strength is always dark green, and 75% on WiFi. I have GPS to high accuracy, adaptive brightness to about 50%. Most of my SOT comes from internet surfing, and forums like this. I don't play any processor intensive games.

jlevs

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

Me to. I have gotten 5hrs of screen on time tho. But my signal strength is always dark green, and 75% on WiFi. I have GPS to high accuracy, adaptive brightness to about 50%. Most of my SOT comes from internet surfing, and forums like this. I don't play any processor intensive games.

Are you using chrome or a different browser?

I guess I'm just dealing with subpar cell service.

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

People need to stop chasing some mythical number and just use the phone how they want. Don't hamstring the thing, just use it and when it runs low connect the cable and watch the thing recharge in no time.

jhnstn00

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
The factory reset did the trick. This time I chose to set up as a new phone. From my test starting yesterday evening, the standby time is insane. 6 hours and 39 minutes of phone idle with only 3% battery drain. Now that's more like it.
This is after you installed all the same apps, logged into all of them as well, and allowing sync to occur like prior to clean install?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

People need to stop chasing some mythical number and just use the phone how they want. Don't hamstring the thing, just use it and when it runs low connect the cable and watch the thing recharge in no time.

This.

If the phone lasts the day for your own personal usage - then it's good good battery life.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

So that's probably my biggest issue. I work in a school with cinderblock walls. Looking at my cellular network signal is orangev from the time I'm there at about 7:45 until I leave at 3:30.

I do use the WiFi in the building though.

Got any other suggestions?

Cinderblock walls isn't a big of a attenuator as metal. I used to work in schools (installing intercom, clock, and CCTV systems) and above the ceiling there are usually metal joist systems and in some cases a ribbed metal deck (sheet). That along with rebar in the walls can kill cell signal. However, if you can arrange it so your phone is near a window, that should help with signal level.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

My signal's crap all day at work. Any of my VZW phones have been unusable at work in the office. If it rings, I have to run outside to pick up a bar. So, signal strength is the key to most people's lower than expected battery life. I don't have the 6P, just wanted to chime in on the SOT signal issue and let you know it is real on Android phones.

jlevs

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

Makes sense, my building has steel beams and probably corrugated metal on the roof... Lots of materials that block reception.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
This is after you installed all the same apps, logged into all of them as well, and allowing sync to occur like prior to clean install?

I didn't install all the same apps, probably 95% of them, I'm not sure that made that much of a difference ( I have a lot of apps). I put all my accounts back and they all synced like before. I also logged into the apps I mostly use like before.

I don't consider the prior original install/setup a clean one, since I transferred all information and system data from my Nexus 6. Seting up as a new phone is a clean setup IMO, that's why I did it.

So far, from my experience, the Nexus 6P battery life is a little better than the Note 5 when using it, and the standby time is less than the Iphone 6+ when not using it. That's the best way I can describe it.

I'm constantly unlocking and playing with my Android phones, were as the Iphone I only unlock it when I need it. It's hard for me to compare usage between Android & IOS for this reason. The iphone seems to shut it down even while in your pocket, and sleeps the same way when on your counter or desk at home.

I don't think I'll know my true battery life until I use this phone for a little while longer, stop playing with it, and use it only when I need it. As of now, today and partly last night, the phone has been off the charger for 19hrs. and 29 min. I have almost 2hrs of actual SOT and I'm at 32% battery. I'm happy with the battery life so far.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm