Sub-par battery life test?

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I firmly believe in not trusting any battery life tests that take place within the first 3-4 days of getting a device. A battery might not even get it's best capacity/performance until it has been discharged a few times, and honestly you can't get a good read on battery life until you've actually used the device.

I also hate synthetic battery benchmarks, because they do not reflect real world usage. They are only useful in showing a bar graph compared to other phones, but do not accurately reflect how a phone is actually used.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
They said average, but put it ahead of the G4 which has very solid battery life. On the other hand, I saw a screenshot that showed it with about 4 hours SOT over 12 hours and nearly dead. So... they say average while showing very good and someone else shows very bad... think may we need to reserve judgement until it is being used in the real world.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I dunno... I've never put much stock in battery tests. All they show is how well a phone does on that individual test. YMMV... you can go on every device board here and find someone who gets awesome time out of a charge and someone right next to them who would love to get even half the active time. So I don't read into these all that much.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
The reason why I don't take it seriously is because I have a Iphone 6+ and Note 5. From my experience the Note 5 is not equal to the Iphone 6+

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
From the Verge:

"Battery life is fine. I'm getting through a full day without issue, and on our battery test of refreshing a web page every 60 seconds, it clocked in at a little over 8 hours. That's not quite as good as the Note 5, but it'll do. Even though I basically trust this (actually surprisingly large) battery, I still have to admit that watching it drain when I'm shooting video or doing intensive gaming can be a bit of a nail-biter. But rather than chew your nails, learn to stop worrying and trust Android 6.0's new battery management features. There's App Standby, which shuts down little-used apps, but it will only make a marginal difference. The game changer is Doze, which seems to shut down damn near everything when the phone is sitting on a desk (priority messages like SMS and phone calls will of course come through). Pick it up, and everything pops back on. Since I received the phone on Friday, I've intentionally not plugged it in overnight and only lost a couple of percentage points while I slept. That's really good."
Source: Nexus 6P review: the best Android phone | The Verge

Note: I don't really rely on The Verge as a source, using them to show that reviews are all over the place on this one.

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah PhoneArena's battery tests are all over the place most of the time. They are the only site that says the S6 has better battery life than the G4 plus somehow got 13% better battery life on the S6 Edge than the S6 despite being identical phones other than a 2% larger battery on the S6 Edge. Their results never add up. I think half the time they say a phone has bad battery life just to get more people to link to it and generate more clicks on their site.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would wait for more reviews -- Holding 1 source as the end-all isn't the best idea. Especially with a new device.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Just look at the recent apple chip gate for how unreliable these "battery tests" can be and how little they mean in the real world. People just use them to push an agenda.

The other thing to remember is things should only get better for the battery. Not all apps are working correctly with marshmallow or have been optimized yet. This is something any previous Nexus user should be familiar with. The longer marshmallow is out and the more phones that get the update the better the app support should be.

sidsub

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Got my Nexus 6p on Friday. As background, I feel like battery life is *the* main thing that determines whether the phone is good or bad... and I am now convinced after a couple of days that the 6p has perfectly decent battery life. I am replacing a Sony Z3 Compact, which has outstanding battery life, and was afraid I would have to compromise with this phone. I don't. Yesterday, as an example, I took it off the charger at 5am, browsed on it, made several phone calls, listened to a couple of podcasts, played some puzzle games, etc... probably 3 or 4 hours of active use over a 17 hour period, and at bedtime I was at about 40%. This is more than acceptable and pretty similar to the Z3 compact.

One difference from other phones is that the real battery savings are when the phone is sitting idle. It always infuriated me that phones would leak 5 or 6% of battery life an hour just updating email and having background applications running. The 6p appears to 1% or so per hour, so you're not leaking battery during those idle times and you're saving the battery for when you need it.

So -- my non-expert verdict: The battery life is pretty decent, at least for me.

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't trust ANY reviews regarding battery life other than for gathering a general consensus and setting my expectations accordingly.

We all have unique usage patterns with many significant variables (including typical cell signal strength, time on wifi, etc) that means you can't know how your personal battery life will be until you are putting the phone through its paces for a few typical days. Just keep everything ready to return for the first couple weeks in case you see any signs of bad performance.

So far I'm happy with battery life and much else regarding my 6p.

Aridon

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting about 50% better battery life than the moto pure with no tweaks to the 6p.

The 6p is performing a little better than my opo. I'm seeing 6 hours sot easy on WiFi with 10-15% left. Lte is around 6 hours sot near 0.

I'd put the battery life in the excellent category. Must of my browsing is web or video. Light gaming.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting about 50% better battery life than the moto pure with no tweaks to the 6p.

The 6p is performing a little better than my opo. I'm seeing 6 hours sot easy on WiFi with 10-15% left. Lte is around 6 hours sot near 0.

I'd put the battery life in the excellent category. Must of my browsing is web or video. Light gaming.

The OPO I had was a battery champ! If my 6P even gets close, I will be fine. After updating my Nexus 6 to marshmallow, it seemed the battery was better. Hey, I can get though a day with the S6 so I'll be good on the 6P for sure. Just got an iphone 6s+ and I must say the battey life is impressive for my usage.

Last edited:

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

You must have had a bum Pure because I'm getting close to that and that's without marshmallow and doze. I think the 6P has better battery life than the Pure because of its screen and slightly bigger battery but on an even playing field I doubt it will be a huge difference.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
One difference from other phones is that the real battery savings are when the phone is sitting idle. It always infuriated me that phones would leak 5 or 6% of battery life an hour just updating email and having background applications running. The 6p appears to 1% or so per hour, so you're not leaking battery during those idle times and you're saving the battery for when you need it.

So -- my non-expert verdict: The battery life is pretty decent, at least for me.

Thanks for that! GREAT to know. I agree with you. Android phones are notorious for draining 5-6% per hour in standby doing absolutely nothing. It drives me crazy coming from an iPhone which may only lose a few % over the course of an entire day if it's in standby the whole time.

I'm really excited to hear the 6P finally gets standby drain to an totally acceptable 1% per hour!!!

Flow39

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Looking into getting one of these to replace my 2014 Moto X. Is the battery life better on the 6p? From what I've read, it is better, but how much better? I can usually only get about 2-2.5 hours of screen on time per day on my Moto X.

Posted from my 2014 Moto X Pure Edition

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power