Is there a difference between 6P models from Google Play and Huawei store?

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: nexus 6p ordered through Google or huawei?

Google support, they are great. I could elaborate if anyone cares to hear the rant but I'm stoked to be going back to google support and not having to deal with a retailer or OEM.

So far my experience with Google's support has been the opposite of yours. When I called to see when the 6p would be in stock again so I could take advantage of the $50 Play credit, I was told being on the waiting list was enough to qualify, which was confirmed by a second CSR. After a member on these forums was told it wouldn't, I called back and was told he was correct in that you have to have actually purchased a Nexus device to qualify. After that I called again when Huawei had the 128GB model in stock to see if it was possible to add Protect to it, but was told that you could only do so if you ordered it through the Google Store. I asked why since the devices are the same, and the ones they sell come from Huawei. I was told that buying a Nexus from another retailer means they won't be the same, since they could change the software, or in other words they could add bloatware to the device. In my experience, there is no difference in the Nexus devices bought from the OEM, Best Buy, or Amazon. If it were bought through a carrier, maybe, but neither the Nexus 5x or 6p are available through a carrier.

They really need to get their people on the same page when dealing with customers, and that's one of my biggest problems with Verizon, put the same question to 6 different CSRs, and you'll get 6 different answers. Hopefully the reason is just because of the product launch and not a regular occurrence, but so far I'm not impressed.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

So far my experience with Google's support has been the opposite of yours. When I called to see when the 6p would be in stock again so I could take advantage of the $50 Play credit, I was told being on the waiting list was enough to qualify, which was confirmed by a second CSR. After a member on these forums was told it wouldn't, I called back and was told he was correct in that you have to have actually purchased a Nexus device to qualify. After that I called again when Huawei had the 128GB model in stock to see if it was possible to add Protect to it, but was told that you could only do so if you ordered it through the Google Store. I asked why since the devices are the same, and the ones they sell come from Huawei. I was told that buying a Nexus from another retailer means they won't be the same, since they could change the software, or in other words they could add bloatware to the device. In my experience, there is no difference in the Nexus devices bought from the OEM, Best Buy, or Amazon. If it were bought through a carrier, maybe, but neither the Nexus 5x or 6p are available through a carrier.

They really need to get their people on the same page when dealing with customers, and that's one of my biggest problems with Verizon, put the same question to 6 different CSRs, and you'll get 6 different answers. Hopefully the reason is just because of the product launch and not a regular occurrence, but so far I'm not impressed.

Let me clarify then, Google technical support is great.

I wouldn't have very high expectations calling for sales support anywhere.

I would be shocked if they let you get nexus protect on anything bought from anywhere except the google store, I wouldn't offer it if I were them either.

I've never personally dealt with Huawei support but after dealing with Google support, Best Buy support, HTC support all in recent history, I would go Google in a heartbeat. My worst Google support experience is better than anything I've had from the other two.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Let me clarify then, Google technical support is great.

I wouldn't have very high expectations calling for sales support anywhere.

I would be shocked if they let you get nexus protect on anything bought from anywhere except the google store, I wouldn't offer it if I were them either.

I've never personally dealt with Huawei support but after dealing with Google support, Best Buy support, HTC support all in recent history, I would go Google in a heartbeat. My worst Google support experience is better than anything I've had from the other two.

I honestly don't see the problem with offering support if bought from Huawei. That's where Google is getting their stock from, and offering Protect to non Google Store purchases is still revenue for them. I could understand maybe through Amazon or Best Buy, since they probably have their own warranty program that it would compete with. My main point was what the CSR told me, that buying from anywhere else means it may have bloatware installed which you wouldn't see going through the Google Store. I seriously doubt Huawei is going to do that for their own stock, and Amazon and Best Buy would have to physically open each device and add the software, that's just not going to happen. The only reason bloatware was on some carrier Nexus devices is because of an agreement made between Google and the carriers to allow the devices to be sold through the carriers. Devices like the Nexus 5x and 6p are sold unlocked and with no carrier involvement, so there is no chance you're going to see bloatware on them.

As far as Google tech support, the only devices I have of theirs are a 2013 Nexus 7 and a Chromecast, neither of which has necessitated a call to them, since any issues I have had have been solved going through the various Android support forums. So until they get some devices back in stock and I actually get one, I'll have to take your word for it.

mattsican

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Re: Finance the phone through HUAWEI yet?

I did. Never tried it before. I did it over a year. Seemed simple enough. I fully plan on paying it off before then though.

Posted via the Android Central App

jmh625

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site

Used it when I ordered mine on the 6th. Yesterday I got an email and text reminding me when I need to make first payment. Was the first I heard since day I placed my order. I'm hoping that means it's shipping soon. Still haven't heard from Huawei, and in their website my order is still processing.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Used it when I ordered mine on the 6th. Yesterday I got an email and text reminding me when I need to make first payment. Was the first I heard since day I placed my order. I'm hoping that means it's shipping soon. Still haven't heard from Huawei, and in their website my order is still processing.

I'd make damn sure the device shows as shipped before you make any payments.

nrfitchett4

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

Per Google's site, they give you 15 days to return the phone. Anyone know if they give you 30 days for California, like some of the other sites I've heard doing?...Thought I read that Moto gave Californians 30 days vs their standard 15 day policy.
Also, anyone have good or bad experience returning a phone bought from Google?

Returns & exchanges
Google wants you to love the devices and accessories that you buy from the Google Store. If you aren’t happy with something you bought, you can return an item within 15 calendar days after the day you received it. We’ll send a full refund (minus your original shipping & handling charges) to your original payment method within 14 business days after Google receives the device.

I think they have to give you the 30 days because of Cali state law.

nrfitchett4

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

Has anyone tried yet? Never heard of Affirm

That's who is financing is through with Huawei. Quick credit check, small interest rate. I bought my HAM 2 though Huawei but without the financing and it was fine.

nrfitchett4

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

I'd make damn sure the device shows as shipped before you make any payments.

Have you ever ordered custom furniture? I had to make two payments on my living room set before it was delivered. Though I'm guessing they might push the payment back if it hasn't shipped and you ask.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Have you ever ordered custom furniture? I had to make two payments on my living room set before it was delivered. Though I'm guessing they might push the payment back if it hasn't shipped and you ask.

Was the furniture coming from a foreign country? That'd be my worry. I've been reading on here about a few peoe having issues ordering from Huawei, and those were straight forward orders, not even getting into a payment plan. But that's just me, not trying to stop you, just saying caution may be warranted.

nrfitchett4

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

Was the furniture coming from a foreign country? That'd be my worry. I've been reading on here about a few peoe having issues ordering from Huawei, and those were straight forward orders, not even getting into a payment plan. But that's just me, not trying to stop you, just saying caution may be warranted.

My last Huawei phone came from Ft Worth, Texas and so are the first pre-orders coming from them. This isn't their first US launch and have had offices here for awhile.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

My last Huawei phone came from Ft Worth, Texas and so are the first pre-orders coming from them. This isn't their first US launch and have had offices here for awhile.

So are they actually manufacturing/assembling in the US or do they simply have a receiving warehouse in TX?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie