Screen Mirroring

chlutz214

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Does the Nexus 6P support any form of screen mirroring besides ChromeCast?

ChromeCast won't work for me because I need to be able to display/mirror my screen with NO wifi & NO service.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Koushik Dutta (the dev behind ClockworkMod, and formerly part of Cyanogen) has released Vysor, which should provide you with a comprehensive mirroring solution over USB. It's really the only option I can think of that doesn't require any wireless connectivity.

chlutz214

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Koushik Dutta (the dev behind ClockworkMod, and formerly part of Cyanogen) has released Vysor, which should provide you with a comprehensive mirroring solution over USB. It's really the only option I can think of that doesn't require any wireless connectivity.

Thanks for the info, I will be looking into that right now! Also a wireless connection between my phone and a device (like miracast) is fine, I just cant use something like ChromeCast that needs to phone home as this will be used in places with 0 internet and even 0 phone service.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
You can use a Chromecast on a WiFi hotspot, even without an active cellular data connection. I would expect a Cast-based screen mirroring utility to work, though not all apps will (and obviously not those that require an internet connection). The trick is to set up the Chromecast where you have a 'standard' WiFi network, then create your hotspot using the same configuration. The Chromecast should 'recognize' the hotspot and allow you to cast local media from your device (using Localcast, Plex, and such... though I haven't used these myself).

It's been a while since I've done this myself, so your mileage may vary, and I can't offer much specific advice as far as Miracast goes.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what your exact situation is but as someone who travels frequently I also keep a small travel router with me and use that to create my own network.

Just a thought.

chlutz214

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
I should have explained my use case better. This is for my car. I have a mimicsx2 to control my screen over bluetooth using my cars touchscreen. I just need to make sure i can have the screen show up on the monitor which is hdmi connectable (have been using mhl for past 3 phones). I could easily add a travel router to my car it just couldnt be connected to the actual internet.

So ive seen the hotspot suggestion before. I cannot try it with my current phone as it is borrowed and i cant root and am not paying for hotspot. I tried a similar thing by setting up a chromecast with my home router and then disconnecting the internet to the router. Both my cast n phone were still connected to the router but it didnt have actual internet. When i tried to connect it told me it couldnt because it didnt have internet. Is there some way to make this work?

(Assuming its possible to mirror the 6p screen in a way i can use) i will be switching to google fi when i get the phone so i would be able to use hotspot but i dont want to pay for the data... how much data would be used for this? Is it just the initial update check the cast does or does it continue to use data?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888