I'm in denial

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I can't afford it without going threw T-Mobile

As others have said, both Project Fi and Huawei offer financing. As someone who applied for both I can tell you that Huawei is a bit more forgiving on credit score but unlike Project Fi it is not 0%.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Blame needy carriers. Google played ball with them with the Nexus 6 and we ended up with several different factory images and a lot of confusion.

Google said 'done with that'.

qbngator

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Project Fi, as nice as it sounds, would be too expensive for a family like mine.

I pay $100 (total) for 2 lines w/unlimited data and everything else + $50 for phones on T-Mo's Jump.

Based on current usage (with one week left in cycle), I would pay $160/mo on Fi for my line alone - w/o accounting for financing of phone - b/c I stream music for 3 hrs per day (daily commute) and also stream movies and shows for myself and my son.

As badly as I want a 6P, I'm SOL.

Posted via the Android Central App

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
If you're using T-Mobile then FI is a great option because FI uses both Sprint and T-Mobile so you will have better coverage than T-Mobile alone. I'm on AT&T because T-Mobile and Sprint are crap where I live and travel and two piles of crap are just a bigger pile of crap, but if I lived in a big city where T-Mobile worked well I'd certainly give FI a try.

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
If you're using T-Mobile then FI is a great option because FI uses both Sprint and T-Mobile so you will have better coverage than T-Mobile alone. I'm on AT&T because T-Mobile and Sprint are crap where I live and travel and two piles of crap are just a bigger pile of crap, but if I lived in a big city where T-Mobile worked well I'd certainly give FI a try.

Except for Fi is expensive if you use a lot of data, like the poster said that I assume you were replying to.

Posted via my 5x

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I get coverage wherever I go with T-Mobile and Fi would cost me a lot. With T-Mobile I pay $50 for my line and can use my average of 100+ GB a month.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Project Fi, as nice as it sounds, would be too expensive for a family like mine.

I pay $100 (total) for 2 lines w/unlimited data and everything else + $50 for phones on T-Mo's Jump.

Based on current usage (with one week left in cycle), I would pay $160/mo on Fi for my line alone - w/o accounting for financing of phone - b/c I stream music for 3 hrs per day (daily commute) and also stream movies and shows for myself and my son.

As badly as I want a 6P, I'm SOL.

So, don't take this the wrong way, because we all have the specific ways we use our devices, and I use a lot of data as well: but honestly if you would just cache some of the streaming music to your phone ahead of time when you commute, you would probably cut your data usage in half and that'd take care of a good chunk of the extra costs you think you'd incur on Fi.

But I do get your reasoning for not being able to buy it outright or use a financing option that is available. imo buying outright is the way to go, but I also know that not everyone can or wants to do that, and that's fine. It is unfortunate for you, but I get it.

But no, I don't see carriers in the US offering it, which is too bad. In Canada our carriers are offering it, because they've always played ball with Google, which is nice.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
So, don't take this the wrong way, because we all have the specific ways we use our devices, and I use a lot of data as well: but honestly if you would just cache some of the streaming music to your phone ahead of time when you commute, you would probably cut your data usage in half and that'd take care of a good chunk of the extra costs you think you'd incur on Fi.

But I do get your reasoning for not being able to buy it outright or use a financing option that is available. imo buying outright is the way to go, but I also know that not everyone can or wants to do that, and that's fine. It is unfortunate for you, but I get it.

But no, I don't see carriers in the US offering it, which is too bad. In Canada our carriers are offering it, because they've always played ball with Google, which is nice.

Actually, with T-Mobile he'd likely still use the same amount of data -- since T-Mobile doesn't count the most popular music streaming services against your data (see Music Freedom). In my case, my data usage may go up a bit from using T-Mobile, because of music streaming not counting; to compensate I will be downloading music, when possible, when on WiFi.

It comes down to two issues, that I can see: amount of data a person uses and family plans. There are many people on family plans that have discounts greater than the savings they'd receive if they went to Project Fi, even if they don't use much data.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Actually, with T-Mobile he'd likely still use the same amount of data -- since T-Mobile doesn't count the most popular music streaming services against your data (see Music Freedom). In my case, my data usage may go up a bit from using T-Mobile, because of music streaming not counting; to compensate I will be downloading music, when possible, when on WiFi.

It comes down to two issues, that I can see: amount of data a person uses and family plans. There are many people on family plans that have discounts greater than the savings they'd receive if they went to Project Fi, even if they don't use much data.

Ah right, forgot about Music Freedom. Stupid Zero Rating stuff. Though net neutrality is a discussion for another thread.

nrfitchett4

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Don't know if this helps or not, but I'm assuming you wanted to go through T-Mobile so you could make payments rather than the total cost upfront, correct? You do have three options that i can think of. If you switch to Fi as your carrier, I believe you can make payments through them, Huawei allows you to make paymentts if you go through them, or buy it with a credit card. In terms of total cost, the cheapest options in order would be Fi, Huawei, and finally credit card (although that depends on the rate you're getting through your CC company). Otherwise it'll be full price upfront.

I'm sure he would still owe jump a bunch of money.

nrfitchett4

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you are indeed delusional, which is a form of koo-koo. Here is how I know they are likely to never sell it, or at least in the near future:

I was actually at my local Tmo store yesterday, switching my family back from the evil demon-spawned Cricket, and of course was getting my 4 phone numbers ported over to Tmo. The only phone I had with me was my phone, the original Nexus 5. One of the kids (all young 20's, so kids to me) working there said, "Did you know they are releasing a new version of your phone? It's called a 5x" I said yep, I've got one in a box waiting for my son for his birthday in a month. Jaws dropped, one of them grumbled something, and then the same kid said, "And did you know they also are releasing a bigger version called the 6p?" I said yep, that one is for me and it should be delivered to me in about a week and half at most. At that point they all said versions of "Aww man!" and shook their heads, and the guy who had been talking (the store manager) said, "Can I ask you just one favor please? When you get the 6p, can you bring it by so we can see it?" When I said yes, they practically squealed in delight.

They are all expecting me to show up two weeks from yesterday at around 5 pm, and will be severely disappointed if I don't. These are people not expecting to have this phone in their store anytime soon to play with, and obviously with the discounts they probably get on buying Tmo phones won't run out to buy their own unlocked phone.

Oh yeah, and the manager said he has been told the 5x and 6p will definitely have wifi calling on Tmo.

There, I think we stick a fork in this thread now, you are welcome.

What are your problems with cricket? I have at&T and was thinking of switching to cricket for prepaid if its cheaper than my at&T plan when contracts expire. Is it worse than at&T? I've been disappointed in their LTE speeds so far.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
What are your problems with cricket? I have at&T and was thinking of switching to cricket for prepaid if its cheaper than my at&T plan when contracts expire. Is it worse than at&T? I've been disappointed in their LTE speeds so far.

Cricket is fine, the same network minus roaming, and limited to 8 Mbps LTE speeds -- which is fast enough for most anything people do on a phone. Of course, since AT&T only averages LTE speeds of 9 Mbps, the 8 Mbps limit doesn't really slow most people much.

nrfitchett4

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Cricket is fine, the same network minus roaming, and limited to 8 Mbps LTE speeds -- which is fast enough for most anything people do on a phone. Of course, since AT&T only averages LTE speeds of 9 Mbps, the 8 Mbps limit doesn't really slow most people much.

I wish I got 8 down, most of the time I'm in the 0.5-3 range. San Antonio was early on for LTE and I doubt they've done much with the network here since.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I wish I got 8 down, most of the time I'm in the 0.5-3 range. San Antonio was early on for LTE and I doubt they've done much with the network here since.

Wow that sounds horrible. I average around 30-50 Mbps on T-Mobile. Certain areas are even more crazy with 80-100 Mbps constant. Not saying I need that (I don't) but it is nice to have. If I have around 20 Mbps on average I will never complain. That way I can stream to my hearts content (HD video/music/etc.)

redhawk24

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm in a similar boat as the OP. I am eligible for my JUMP upgrade on 10/29, but the only 2 phones that I really want are the 6P or Moto X Pure Edition. I currently have a Note 4, and I have more left on my EIP than I could get for selling the phone, so I'd have to take a loss and put up 1100 or so bucks to have both phones before I could resell the Note.

I have a crazy idea, but I'm not sure if it would work. Could I use my JUMP upgrade to buy a cheap/free phone, pay it off, then just buy a 6P out of pocket and get a SIM for that?

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

Long story, but you asked. My wife recently went on a business trip to Jamaica for 5 days (so rough). I went in to my local Cricket store to see if we could get international calling added for a month to her cell plan so she could call/text back home to communicate with the kids (me too I guess!). The 4 staff people in the store had no clue about international plans, because I think the clientele coming into that store don't do a whole lot of international travel - they are more the prepaid type. After about 30 minutes of clicking around their website, they do a one-time international Jamaica add-on to her plan for $15. I leave the store, and within 5 minutes the guy I worked with is calling me and tells me he did more research and thinks the plan should have been added to my line and not hers, so I could call her. They credited her line (but left the international on it for some reason, he said it was easier just to leave it on), and charged me $20 to add it onto mine (why mine cost more I don't know). So we both had it on our lines...should have been covered.

So my wife agreed to text me when her plan lands in Jamaica, and we agree I will call her at 9 pm her first day there. Well, nothing. No texts, phone calls go right to VM. I get online with Cricket customer support and chat with someone, explaining the whole situation. He types that Cricket has no cell network in Jamaica, so there is no way to take your cell there and make phone calls. The international plan is only for a Cricket customer to call a Jamaican phone number. Makes sense, the store people screwed up, okay. I ask for the $20 to get refunded to my credit card, and he types the $15 credit was applied to my wife's line. I ask him if he sees the $20 charge to my line, and he types that I was already refunded. We do this twice and then he ends the chat session. I have never, ever in my life been "hung up on" by a customer service person, and I wasn't cussing or anything.

So I go back to the Cricket store the next day and tell all this to the original guy I dealt with. He feels horrible, and gets on a chat, just like I did. Even Cricket store employees have to chat with customer service. When I noted this, he said "Yeah, and you just have to find one in a good mood. I often have to close out of 2-3 chat sessions to get a decent answer from one of them." He is also unsuccessful in getting a credit for my $20, and at this point I have mentally decided I'm done with Cricket and want to go back to Tmo before my next bill is due. I tell him I don't want a credit to my account but a refund on my credit card. He gets on his cell to call his boss (the store manager) and she says she has to create a ticket that get's bumped up to her regional manager.

To make this ridiculous story shorter, I had to check in with this guy via text messaging every day for the next 5 days, because a ticket was never created. He actually texted me that "Cricket has a no refund policy" and eventually he had me come in to the store so he could give me $20 out of their cash drawer. He was cool about it, but I have no doubt I would have not gotten the refund if I hadn't been persistent and spent about 4 hours of my time staying on the issue.

Here is the point. The store personnel sold me a service that couldn't do what they said it could, clearly admitted their fault, and couldn't get official approval for a refund. What if they made a bigger mistake, like double-billed my account one month? What the hell happens then? I get to chat with an angry customer service rep again? No thanks. I have activated phones with Tmo twice now, and it has been a wonderful in-store customer service experience for me. When I was with Tmo the first time I also had an issue and had to call in one night from home, and it was a great experience.

Oh, and a side note but one worth noting. At least here in Cincinnati, on Cricket you need to dial the 1-513 (area code) before you call any land line. I have not been able to find a way to make the stock dialer app do that, so I have to edit my frequently called numbers (by changing it to 1-513) so it dials the area code. Major PIA. Tmo does not require you to do this.

redhawk24

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I have a crazy idea, but I'm not sure if it would work. Could I use my JUMP upgrade to buy a cheap/free phone, pay it off, then just buy a 6P out of pocket and get a SIM for that?

Talked to T-Mo on twitter. They confirmed that I could use my JUMP upgrade on any phone available for financing and then pay it off and get a SIM for the Nexus 6P in store. So, I pulled the trigger on the 6P (64 gb, Aluminum), and once it arrives, I will be using my JUMP on a $60 flip phone.

nrfitchett4

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Wow that sounds horrible. I average around 30-50 Mbps on T-Mobile. Certain areas are even more crazy with 80-100 Mbps constant. Not saying I need that (I don't) but it is nice to have. If I have around 20 Mbps on average I will never complain. That way I can stream to my hearts content (HD video/music/etc.)

T-Mobile has zero coverage inside my hospital. That's why I'm trying Fi. Sprint has signal boosters inside and T-Mobile hopefully is better than they were several years ago.

nrfitchett4

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Long story, but you asked. My wife recently went on a business trip to Jamaica for 5 days (so rough). I went in to my local Cricket store to see if we could get international calling added for a month to her cell plan so she could call/text back home to communicate with the kids (me too I guess!). The 4 staff people in the store had no clue about international plans, because I think the clientele coming into that store don't do a whole lot of international travel - they are more the prepaid type. After about 30 minutes of clicking around their website, they do a one-time international Jamaica add-on to her plan for $15. I leave the store, and within 5 minutes the guy I worked with is calling me and tells me he did more research and thinks the plan should have been added to my line and not hers, so I could call her. They credited her line (but left the international on it for some reason, he said it was easier just to leave it on), and charged me $20 to add it onto mine (why mine cost more I don't know). So we both had it on our lines...should have been covered.

So my wife agreed to text me when her plan lands in Jamaica, and we agree I will call her at 9 pm her first day there. Well, nothing. No texts, phone calls go right to VM. I get online with Cricket customer support and chat with someone, explaining the whole situation. He types that Cricket has no cell network in Jamaica, so there is no way to take your cell there and make phone calls. The international plan is only for a Cricket customer to call a Jamaican phone number. Makes sense, the store people screwed up, okay. I ask for the $20 to get refunded to my credit card, and he types the $15 credit was applied to my wife's line. I ask him if he sees the $20 charge to my line, and he types that I was already refunded. We do this twice and then he ends the chat session. I have never, ever in my life been "hung up on" by a customer service person, and I wasn't cussing or anything.

So I go back to the Cricket store the next day and tell all this to the original guy I dealt with. He feels horrible, and gets on a chat, just like I did. Even Cricket store employees have to chat with customer service. When I noted this, he said "Yeah, and you just have to find one in a good mood. I often have to close out of 2-3 chat sessions to get a decent answer from one of them." He is also unsuccessful in getting a credit for my $20, and at this point I have mentally decided I'm done with Cricket and want to go back to Tmo before my next bill is due. I tell him I don't want a credit to my account but a refund on my credit card. He gets on his cell to call his boss (the store manager) and she says she has to create a ticket that get's bumped up to her regional manager.

To make this ridiculous story shorter, I had to check in with this guy via text messaging every day for the next 5 days, because a ticket was never created. He actually texted me that "Cricket has a no refund policy" and eventually he had me come in to the store so he could give me $20 out of their cash drawer. He was cool about it, but I have no doubt I would have not gotten the refund if I hadn't been persistent and spent about 4 hours of my time staying on the issue.

Here is the point. The store personnel sold me a service that couldn't do what they said it could, clearly admitted their fault, and couldn't get official approval for a refund. What if they made a bigger mistake, like double-billed my account one month? What the hell happens then? I get to chat with an angry customer service rep again? No thanks. I have activated phones with Tmo twice now, and it has been a wonderful in-store customer service experience for me. When I was with Tmo the first time I also had an issue and had to call in one night from home, and it was a great experience.

Oh, and a side note but one worth noting. At least here in Cincinnati, on Cricket you need to dial the 1-513 (area code) before you call any land line. I have not been able to find a way to make the stock dialer app do that, so I have to edit my frequently called numbers (by changing it to 1-513) so it dials the area code. Major PIA. Tmo does not require you to do this.

Interesting, thanks for posting. My hope is that once line charges drop because contracts expire, AT&T will be a better deal. I think 60+150 for data before 22% discount and then taxes and fees. I can't do just T-Mobile because of no signal at my work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12