Rare Nexus 6P on eBay

Kaido

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
It looks gold in one of the pictures and graphite in the other. Which is it?

An aluminum box, a case not found on the Google store, and the seller doesn't offer a return...

2sketchy4me

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I have a very sensitive bull**** detector...

But actually I believe this is genuine.

These photos would be so difficult to find elsewhere. And also, the 6P is such a niche phone it isn't something people would scam.

People are more likely to put up a 128GB iPhone 6s Plus as a non-genuine ad.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I would be worried that the phone is reported lost or stolen, and you'd never be able to activate it. More of a collectors item, but still would want it to be fully functional.

andreo

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Personally I wouldn't pay over retail. Especially with shipping dates so close. But that's just me.
For everyone else I'd just recommend an escrow service and have a video recorder running when you take it out there box. So if there's some shady goings on you can get your cash back.

Posted via the Android Central App

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand why people pay XXX amount over retail becsuse they didn't want to wait a few weeks. Like the iPhone, ive seen them sold at $500 over retail which boggles my mind that someone couldn't wait a few weeks for a brand new one unopened. It's only a phone and its not like its a big jump in performance these days anymore. The only one I did understand (but was still stupid) was the IPhone 6+ since it was going to a bigger screen and people have been waiting. But still not worth it.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Personally I wouldn't pay over retail. Especially with shipping dates so close. But that's just me.
For everyone else I'd just recommend an escrow service and have a video recorder running when you take it out there box. So if there's some shady goings on you can get your cash back.

Posted via the Android Central App

If the phone is what it purports to be, then there is no retail price that you can assign to it. It is not a standard color and not in standard packaging - in fact, very much upgraded packaging. Think of this more as a collector's item with a price point that could easily be 2 to 3 times the retail value of the standard unit.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
While I'm not speaking to the validity of this phone, you can't equate this to a normal Nexus 6p. This is apparently a special edition of the device, probably only available to attendees of the event mentioned in the letter shown in the pictures. A person just looking for a Nexus 6p for daily use isn't the target buyer of this ad, it's someone who wants a rare or exclusive version of it. Limited and special editions will always command more money that those from the standard run.

But like I said, I'm not speaking to the validity of the seller's claims, or even that it isn't stolen like some here have said. However, it's not unprecedented either. I've seen special editions of devices given out at events that later on find their way to eBay or swappa. The seller can recoup the costs of going to the event. Same as when you see the special Employee Edition Droids being sold. Those editions aren't available to regular consumers, so if you want one, they're going to cost you more than the ones that are available to everyone.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I asked if she could guarantee the phone could be activated, and would not be reported lost or stolen. This is the reply I got.

"Yes, it was a gift and no it wasn't stolen. Google does a lot of nice things for their employees and one of those things is that every year, they go to Phoenix/Scottsdale and have a 3 day conference. The guests are spread out over 4 resorts and have meetings/dinners/fun day trips and are given many gifts. Google has about 1,000 rooms over these four resorts. I work at one of them and the guest checking out said he didn't want it. I was lucky enough to be the housekeeper nearby at the time. I told my manager and she they said I could keep it. I took the pictures and explained the story the best I could so the buyer would know I was telling the truth. I can't do anything about my lack of feedback. I just don't really use ebay much. All I can say is that if I did something wrong to the buyer, I assume ebay and paypal would give you your money back and then track me down and prosecute me or something. I care too much about my job to steal a phone from one of the guests. I go into rooms that have money, jewelry, and many other personal items. I don't steal. Besides my word, I can't do anything else to reassure you.

Thank you"

Mitch Vankempen

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
I actually work at the same hotel and it is true. Google was there and they sent those to all the rooms. Some of the people were already gone when they took it to the room though. So the people that delivered them just kept them. Definitely not what they were suppose to do and I highly doubt this person was just "given" it.

anon(8662820)

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
If the seller had more feedback I'd be a little less skeptical, but I did look at the feedback of the seller and the person who bought it left positive rating for the hone so I guess it was legit.

Last edited: