Does the Nexus 6's SIM card work with the Nexus 6P? (Sprint)

spawndoodling

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi all -- have been unable to find an answer to this question anywhere. Does anyone know if the nano SIM card used in the Nexus 6 works with the Nexus 6P? Or do I need to get a new SIM card from my carrier (Sprint)? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Seems like I've been able to find out myself. I finally spoke to a Sprint rep who knew the answer. Hopefully we can keep this thread open for other Sprint users switching to the 6P. The SIM card is different on the 6P, so you have to order a new one. Sprint had me on hold for 15 minutes and they were unable to track down the SKU number. Thankfully, I found it from a Reddit thread: CZ2144LWC. Hopefully that will save Sprint users some time in trying to order the SIM. Excited to get my 6P!

Last edited:

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi all -- have been unable to find an answer to this question anywhere. Does anyone know if the nano SIM card used in the Nexus 6 works with the Nexus 6P? Or do I need to get a new SIM card from my carrier (Sprint)? Thanks in advance!

It should... most of the talk here says yes!

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
It could very well be possible it requires a new sim. Project Fi users have to get a new sim and one of the networks Fi uses happens to be Sprint. Whether it's for the same reason, I don't know just speculating.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

EDIT: Seems like I've been able to find out myself. I finally spoke to a Sprint rep who knew the answer. Hopefully we can keep this thread open for other Sprint users switching to the 6P. The SIM card is different on the 6P, so you have to order a new one. Sprint had me on hold for 15 minutes and they were unable to track down the SKU number. Thankfully, I found it from a Reddit thread: CZ2144LWC. Hopefully that will save Sprint users some time in trying to order the SIM. Excited to get my 6P!

That's weird. Sprint said the Sim in my N6 would work fine with the 6p. While other forums say it won't, I have no idea if it will or not. We'll find out soon.

Posted via the Android Central App

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I can confirm, the Nexus 6 Sim does not work with the 6p on sprint. I tried to activate it today, and I got an error message saying the Sim is incompatible with this device. So I had to order the other one from Sprint int'l, overnight shipping..... Won't be here till Friday probably. Damn this sucks.

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
That is crazy. Only Sprint could find a way to screw up something as simple as a SIM card. I feel for you guys though. I stuck with them for years for their cheap plans but they were just woefully awful in every other way. Hopefully you guys get some money coming back from them for the hassle. If I remember from back in the day the best thing Sprint did was issue tons of credits to make up for their incompetence.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
That is crazy. Only Sprint could find a way to screw up something as simple as a SIM card. I feel for you guys though. I stuck with them for years for their cheap plans but they were just woefully awful in every other way. Hopefully you guys get some money coming back from them for the hassle. If I remember from back in the day the best thing Sprint did was issue tons of credits to make up for their incompetence.

Lol yea they usually do that. Before at my old job, a tower went down for 3 months, and my phone at work would become useless. I complained 2-3 times a week, and basically was paying a half price bill for those 3 months.

Their service is good in Boston where I am, so I stick with them. I don't like T-Mobile, and Verizon and att don't have the right plans for me without it being stupidly expensive. For 60/month I get unlimited everything so I can't complain.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus 6 and Nexus 6P both technically use the Nano-SIM (4FF) standard, at least on GSM networks. Sprint, as a CDMA operator, has advanced from R-UIM (Removable User Identity Module, the 'CDMA2000 equivalent' of SIM) to the superseding standard CSIM (CDMA Subscriber Identity Module).

These smartcards are known as UICCs, and the CSIM cards roll all the R-UIM components (SIM, USIM, CSIM) into one smartcard package. In the past, UICCs have been tied to single device by means of a hardware transceiver identifier. In order to swap the module into a new device, one had to update this hardware pairing information in Sprint's systems first. Theoretically, these new CSIM cards should allow hot-swapping without issue. Unfortunately, the Nexus 6's UICC is of an older revision than that supported by the 5X and 6P (referenced by Sprint as CSIM V520150915), so you'll need a new UICC.

The Sprint SKU for the Nexus 6 UICC is CZ2124LWC.
The Sprint SKU for the Nexus 6P UICC is CZ2144LWC, the Sprint UPC is 019962040146, the Sprint part number SIMGLW446C.

Wikipedia | Universal Integrated Circuit Card
WIkipedia | Subscriber Identity Module
Wikipedia | CDMA Subscriber Identity Module
Wikipedia | Removable User Identity Module
Sprint: About Removable UICC Cards

Standards change, and so we should accept a reasonable amount of change as well. Pretty soon, we won't even have physical smartcards... from MWC in Barcelona, this year: PRLOG: Simless unveils world's first GSM phone without a SIM card slot

Last edited:

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Lol yea they usually do that. Before at my old job, a tower went down for 3 months, and my phone at work would become useless. I complained 2-3 times a week, and basically was paying a half price bill for those 3 months.

Their service is good in Boston where I am, so I stick with them. I don't like T-Mobile, and Verizon and att don't have the right plans for me without it being stupidly expensive. For 60/month I get unlimited everything so I can't complain.

Yup. I when I lived in DC they had a solid network and my plan basically was like always at least 25% off from credits however when I moved to Houston their network was garbage so I had to switch to Verizon. Weird that even Verizon as another CDMA carrier had no issue with me moving my now two year old SIM card from my old phone to my new Nexus.

Indyrobb

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I tried International Chat last night, and they couldn't help me, referred me to the Order Support line, or go to the store as "all stores will have them". I called tonight, and still got the run around by 3 different Reps until I got Arnold, who when I gave him the SKU number was wondering how I knew about it, and was surprised by it. I told him about this thread and he was glad to know it existed. Unfortunately, even though I went standard shipping, it cost me 7 dollars to have it shipped. :( Oh well, I'd rather have it here waiting for me when the phone gets here, than trying the stores again like I did with my Nexus 6 last month.

spawndoodling

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that CZ2144LWC is the right SKU for the Nexus 6P SIM card. Like I said, it is not the same as the Nexus 6 SIM card. I used the SKU above to order via phone and i went to my Sprint store. They activated it for me and it was a mostly effortless process. However, it required nearly two hours of research at the outset.

Another qualm: Sprint deactivated my insurance plan because I am using a phone that they don't sell. I should've bought the Nexus protection plan. Sigh.

Andrew Wagner

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm just switching my Sprint M8 to the 6P on Sprint.. CDMA to CDMA.

Edit: Never mind. I ended up contacting Sprint and ordering the new v5 Nano Sim card.

Last edited:

tommyarmour

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
This is my experience took about 2-3hrs. :(
I just got my project fi phone today. I decided to stay with my current Sprint plan for a few more months. I have to tell you, this is a nightmare. I of course tried to just swap my nano sim card from my current Motorola Nexus 6 to the new Nexus 6p. The phone tried to activate the sim card automatically(no dice). Sim card locked!!! Please call Sprint. I then tried the online sprint webpage where you can activate new devices. No GO!!! Device not in database. Then I Initiated a chat with Sprint. They asked for IMEI number, serial and sim card number. NO go, I then tried another brand new Sprint Nano sim card I got from a sprint store this week. That wouldn't work either. So then I drove to a Sprint Store. I had the guy at the sprint store try for 2 hours, and 3 calls to corporate. Apparantly there is a special sim card required for the Nexus 6p. And will take 3-5 business days. No expedite option available. WTF Brand new phone, cannot use it with Sprint currently. That is my experience, hope yours is better.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
This is my experience took about 2-3hrs. :(
I just got my project fi phone today. I decided to stay with my current Sprint plan for a few more months. I have to tell you, this is a nightmare. I of course tried to just swap my nano sim card from my current Motorola Nexus 6 to the new Nexus 6p. The phone tried to activate the sim card automatically(no dice). Sim card locked!!! Please call Sprint. I then tried the online sprint webpage where you can activate new devices. No GO!!! Device not in database. Then I Initiated a chat with Sprint. They asked for IMEI number, serial and sim card number. NO go, I then tried another brand new Sprint Nano sim card I got from a sprint store this week. That wouldn't work either. So then I drove to a Sprint Store. I had the guy at the sprint store try for 2 hours, and 3 calls to corporate. Apparantly there is a special sim card required for the Nexus 6p. And will take 3-5 business days. No expedite option available. WTF Brand new phone, cannot use it with Sprint currently. That is my experience, hope yours is better.

You just need the nano Sim for the moto x pure edition for sprint. Once you have that, it activates no problems. You should have talked to int'l support, they do all the Sim card stuff.

tommyarmour

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Man talk about a rough go around. Maybe I'll call them back and ask if they have the v5 sim in the moto x pure edition. LOL that would make me happy.

Edit: I called the local Sprint store they don't even carry that phone at their store. :(

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Man talk about a rough go around. Maybe I'll call them back and ask if they have the v5 sim in the moto x pure edition. LOL that would make me happy.

Edit: I called the local Sprint store they don't even carry that phone at their store. :(

You have to order it. None of the stores have those Sim cards.

tommyarmour

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Your absolutely right, I called every Sprint store in Portland Oregon. Nobody carries that sim. The sprint store in my little town, had at least 100 other nano sim cards though. I ordered the correct sim card about 4-5 hours ago. They said 3-5 business days. No expedite delivery options.

Screen Shot 2015-11-06 at 9.20.04 PM.png