T-Mobile Band 12 is Supported on Project Fi

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Re: T-Mobile Band 12 is Supported

This is correct, T-Mobile Band 12 works on a 6P with a Project Fi sim...if a mod wants to modify the thread title, I'm cool with that. Sorry for any confusion!

OP's can edit the title if they want... Click Edit on the first post, then Go Advanced button, the title is right there and you can change it.

evolvedsapien

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

I think they are confused on what Project Fi is.

Yes you can use your Tmobile sim and you'll be good to go.

If you are curious on project fi just google it or go to https://fi.google.com/about/

I think this thread has gotten a bit confusing. So all we have right now is confirmation band 12 works on Project Fi as the OP isn't on T-Mobile but Project Fi which uses T-Mobile's network. Last I checked though Project Fi didn't support VoLTE. I think we are still waiting on confirmation of band 12 on T-Mobile proper.

Confirmed no band 12 for actual T-Mobile customers:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus6P/comments/3qfpy7/no_band_12_on_nexus_6p/
Thanks for the clarification and shout out to "So Cold" for the great link!

dcdttu

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site

It's a little funny, if you think about it. You can use Band 12 if you're using T-Mobile's towers, just not if you're using T-Mobile.

That's kind of ridiculous for T-Mobile to have this awesome new band, and their customers can't even use it. Hope it gets certified or whatever soon.

PS I found it odd that the OP said the phone dropped to 3G to make calls rather than using VoLTE. Maybe his Enhanced 4G LTE mode is off? I've got a 5X and it can make VoLTE calls on T-Mobile just fine, so you'd think it would be allowed on Band 12.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

It's a little funny, if you think about it. You can use Band 12 if you're using T-Mobile's towers, just not if you're using T-Mobile.

That's kind of ridiculous for T-Mobile to have this awesome new band, and their customers can't even use it. Hope it gets certified or whatever soon.

PS I found it odd that the OP said the phone dropped to 3G to make calls rather than using VoLTE. Maybe his Enhanced 4G LTE mode is off? I've got a 5X and it can make VoLTE calls on T-Mobile just fine, so you'd think it would be allowed on Band 12.

The OP if using project Fi for their service, not T-Mobile directly which doesn't use volte.

Posted via the Android Central App

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

Only T-Mobile proper has the requirements of passing certification to use band 12. Since Project Fi is an MVNO of T-Mobile and Sprint it can decide itself how to handle band 12 plus with their smart switching I am fairly sure their phone would be able to just switch to Sprint in situations where a T-Mobile customer would be stuck with no phone service.

dialanothernumb

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site

Forgive me but I want to make a pedantic counter note: I don't think the issue is addressed totally by having a fallback to Sprint in the way that Google implements Project Fi. The underlying problem is that B12 can present as an active voice connection when no voice call can be made which is a problem for the regulator. I think the issue is demonstrating to the FCC that your phone can recognize it doesn't have a voice connection and should roam for an e911 signal as per standard protocol.
It could be that the project Fi implementation (SIM card?) IS able to differentiate between B12 Voice and data capability and make the switch that E911 and FCC requires and that the T-Mobile implementation doesn't...

Last edited:

bobcatpilot

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to this forum. Maybe one of you can help me out here. I've been on Project Fi for a few days and have a major problem with Band 12 on TMo. At work, I have a reliable Sprint 3G connection, but Fi is picking up a "preferable" TMo B12 LTE connection. Data speeds are great, but I cannot make/receive calls. I've been in touch with Project Fi about the issue, but have not received confirmation about VoLTE. I'm on a Nexus 6 with 5.1. Should VoLTE be kicking in or is it for sure not supported? It's kind of a deal breaker for me, considering I'm unable to make/receive calls at work. Would updating to 5.1.1 or 6.0 help with this?

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

coming from the Motorola Nexus 6 which had Band 12 support on T-Mobile and now on the 6p which does not support Band 12 I am quickly learning Band 12 is a really strange mixed bag. The perfect example is at my work. on the 6 I had band 12 and averaged 1 - 2 Mbps download... I get the 6p and I connect to what looks like a "Weaker" band 4 signal compared to band 12 but I get 8 - 10 Mbps download speeds.

Finding the same thing in a lot of areas (Granted just 3 days with the 6p) I have more "Holes" in my T-Mobile coverage to where I dropped down to HSPA or even 3G with the 6p but overall my download speeds are way faster without the band 12 support. Overall I'd rather be without band 12 now that I've spent the last 3 days with the 6p. The holes are not spots I go to often so I'd rather stay on band 4 with the faster speeds...

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site

Well, band 12 is only 10MHz, while band 4 is usually 15-20MHz wide. T-Mobile, in your area, will need to work on aggregating band 4 and 12. The bandwidths are similar to Verizon's band 13 or AT&T's band 17. I'd get 1-5Mbps on Verizon band 13 in congested areas without band 4. Once they started aggregating B4-B13, it jumped to 60-65Mbps. But, I'm on T-Mobile now.

coming from the Motorola Nexus 6 which had Band 12 support on T-Mobile and now on the 6p which does not support Band 12 I am quickly learning Band 12 is a really strange mixed bag. The perfect example is at my work. on the 6 I had band 12 and averaged 1 - 2 Mbps download... I get the 6p and I connect to what looks like a "Weaker" band 4 signal compared to band 12 but I get 8 - 10 Mbps download speeds.

Finding the same thing in a lot of areas (Granted just 3 days with the 6p) I have more "Holes" in my T-Mobile coverage to where I dropped down to HSPA or even 3G with the 6p but overall my download speeds are way faster without the band 12 support. Overall I'd rather be without band 12 now that I've spent the last 3 days with the 6p. The holes are not spots I go to often so I'd rather stay on band 4 with the faster speeds...

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Well, band 12 is only 10MHz, while band 4 is usually 15-20MHz wide. T-Mobile, in your area, will need to work on aggregating band 4 and 12. The bandwidths are similar to Verizon's band 13 or AT&T's band 17. I'd get 1-5Mbps on Verizon band 13 in congested areas without band 4. Once they started aggregating B4-B13, it jumped to 60-65Mbps. But, I'm on T-Mobile now.

Yeah I understand Band 12 isn't going to be no where near as fast as band 4. Now that I am on the 6p I wish that the software would basically ignore band 12 if band 4 was available. I only want band 12 in the dead zone where I only get 3G on the 6p but with the Nexus 6 I picked up band 12 in those areas.

Oh well... Technology right?????

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site

So we're hearing that band 12 isn't supported on Tmobile.......YET? It is still in progress of being certified, right?

GoGators1234

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site

Hey everyone...

I'm on T-Mobile with a Nexus 6P (with K build) and for me it actually says I'm on Band 12...even in a call. I range 25-45mbps download and 10-15mbps upload. I'm in Miami.

Screenshot_20151103-210552.jpg

I checked my Nexus 5 as well. When I am not in a call, it says its connected to LTE700 Band 12. In a call it will connect to something else (then switch back to B12 afterwards). I haven't tested out the 6P fully yet as I am still waiting for my case to arrive (phone came earlier than expected). This weekend I will try it out in a restaurant that I know for sure doesn't give reception with the N5.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Hey everyone...

I'm on T-Mobile with a Nexus 6P (with K build) and for me it actually says I'm on Band 12...even in a call. I range 25-45mbps download and 10-15mbps upload. I'm in Miami.

View attachment 204442

I checked my Nexus 5 as well. When I am not in a call, it says its connected to LTE700 Band 12. In a call it will connect to something else (then switch back to B12 afterwards). I haven't tested out the 6P fully yet as I am still waiting for my case to arrive (phone came earlier than expected). This weekend I will try it out in a restaurant that I know for sure doesn't give reception with the N5.

Interesting as I am on build K as well with my Nexus 6p.... if I pop the SIM card out and back into my Nexus 6 it connects to band 12 at my house... Pop it back into my 6p and it defaults to band 4... But Band 4 is a "Weaker" signal but faster speeds compared to Band 12.

The problem I have and it's not a major problem is a few dead spots with the 6p I didn't have with the 6 because of band 12 support.

Are you on straight T-Mobile or project Fi? I know people with Fi can connect to band 12 with T-Mobile (Which is funny because T-Mobile says the Nexus 6p isn't yet "Certified" to use band 12 on their network....... but apparently that is only for those of us who use T-Mobile exclusively vs people who use T-Mobile with Fi)

Anyway... For now I love the phone so I'll deal with it.. Specially with my fully unlimited LTE on T-Mobile I wouldn't switch to Fi for band 12.. I use too much data as is.... wouldn't be cost effective to switch...

GoGators1234

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site

I am on straight T-mobile. I got a new sim card from them for the phone since it uses the one smaller than the N5. Maybe they resolved the holdup but just haven't announced it yet...I have no clue..lol. I will be flashing the M build in the next day or so if I don't get it ota. Fully unlimited is nice! We took advantage of the family plan with 10gb per line (with data stash) when it was really cheap..so we plan on staying with them..they have actually been really good with us.

evolvedsapien

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

Hello folks. I have two questions that I would appreciate answers to

1.) Does the iPhone 6 on T-Mobile connect to this Band 12? I have been using an iPhone 6 on T-Mobile's network for the past one year in Charlotte, North Carolina area.

2.) I am coming from using an iPhone 6 on T-Mobile for the past one year ... will the Nexus 6P allow me to connect to the EXACT SAME LTE data speeds/network on T-Mobile as my iPhone 6 did ??

Also

GoGators1234

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site

Here is an update.

The only time the 6P went to band 12 according to the app is when I am around home. Once I leave...it switches to band 4. I was in downtown Miami and at time I was getting 50-85mpbs download speeds on band 4. It never switched to band 12. Building penetration was a little better at the restaurant...this time I would get bars but no data. Texts went through, although it took a minute. Better than the N5 when I had nothing at all. I don't think band 12 is up and running on the phones yet. My N5 says that it is connected to B12 but I don't even think the phone supports that band anyway...so its strange it connects to it. I assume when 6.0.1 comes out it'll open up those bands. Probably have specific images for T-Mobile like they did with the N6

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site

Here is an update.

The only time the 6P went to band 12 according to the app is when I am around home. Once I leave...it switches to band 4. I was in downtown Miami and at time I was getting 50-85mpbs download speeds on band 4. It never switched to band 12. Building penetration was a little better at the restaurant...this time I would get bars but no data. Texts went through, although it took a minute. Better than the N5 when I had nothing at all. I don't think band 12 is up and running on the phones yet. My N5 says that it is connected to B12 but I don't even think the phone supports that band anyway...so its strange it connects to it. I assume when 6.0.1 comes out it'll open up those bands. Probably have specific images for T-Mobile like they did with the N6

My N5 had HORRIBLE reception in buildings. Practically non existent the second I went indoors. I'd be amazed if it had band 12 (and if it did....then maybe B12 wasn't available in San Diego at that time). What app do you use to test your signal/see what band you're on?

Edit: haha, right there's a screenshot right above with "SignalCheck lite" at the top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz