Nexus 6P - Camera App Discussion

syeo86

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm rocking the new 6P, and coming from an LG G2 , I love the phone.

But the reviewers are right, the camera app is lacking controls. The camera is VERY capable, and I am VERY impressed. But on occasion I do want to tweak the settings to create certain effects.

All though the Marshmallow camera app has a simple UI, it only takes a few shots with the camera to realize there is a lot of post processing in the background. Very powerful post processing, that is VERY impressive.

But my coming from the G2, I miss some of my manual adjustment. I've never played with a camera app that was not stock, so can anyone make a recommendation?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Re: Camera App Discussion

Looking at every good camera app in Google Play is on my list for next week. Right now, I second the recommendation for Manual Camera if you want to tweak settings/shoot in RAW

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

I'm rocking the new 6P, and coming from an LG G2 , I love the phone.

But the reviewers are right, the camera app is lacking controls. The camera is VERY capable, and I am VERY impressed. But on occasion I do want to tweak the settings to create certain effects.

All though the Marshmallow camera app has a simple UI, it only takes a few shots with the camera to realize there is a lot of post processing in the background. Very powerful post processing, that is VERY impressive.

But my coming from the G2, I miss some of my manual adjustment. I've never played with a camera app that was not stock, so can anyone make a recommendation?

Thanks for posting this. I'm on the G2 now, as well, and am ordering the 6P as soon is it's back in stock, and have the same question. I'll be interested in seeing what people suggest.

libraryclg

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site

I'm also going to be using the Manual Camera app once I get my 6P tomorrow. I love using it on the Nexus 5.

GreetingsFromAP

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site

I am coming from a S6 Active. The camera app on Active is much better, in particular the video recording is better. I haven't figured out if the 6p even supports 60FPS. Does anyone know if it does? It only has options for HD video and 4K. Processing of HDR pictures is slow. While it doesn't appear to cut down on how quickly you can take pictures, it does affect the time that you can review the picture. I found that HDR+ in auto mode turns HDR+ is lighting conditions that I would think most phones would not use HDR. I don't know if this is by design, although the pictures have come out fine. Picture quality if good, video is a bit shaky on the 6p compared to the active which has OIS. I also found that the video is slower to focus, especially at short distances. The rest of the 6p app is bare bones. I miss having filters in the app and different modes to play with. The front facing cam isn't as wide. Regarding video, while it wasn't the most amazing app, the Active did have a built in video editor. I'm not sure what to use on the 6P for trimming clips yet. I don't know if 3rd party apps such as Manual camera will replace what is missing, but I will give them a try.

syeo86

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

I bought the Manual Camera app last night. This does exactly what I wanted.

I'm not a fan of camera modes, it really means nothing to me. I'm a fan of being able to control shutter, iso, and have bracketing.

Thanks for the recommendations guys.

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

I can't wait to hear some reviews on camera apps. I really dislike how slow the camera app is on the 6p when taking pictures. On HDR Auto, taking multiple pictures in a row of my 4 week old baby was painful. Not nearly as fast as my GS6 or iPhone 6 (both on HDR Auto). I need to try burst mode tonight to see if that helps.

doc31

May 15, 2010
Visit site

I bought the Manual Camera app last night. This does exactly what I wanted.

I'm not a fan of camera modes, it really means nothing to me. I'm a fan of being able to control shutter, iso, and have bracketing.

Thanks for the recommendations guys.

What's the longest shutter in manual mode you can do with the app?

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

with snapseed now being able to edit RAW images right on the phone, I'm probably going to switch to manual camera full time on my 6P when it arrives. I used it only some of the time on my N5.

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

.6 assuming thats 1/60 sec.... that's crap! I'm hoping that app or another one can at least do 5-10 sec w/ the 6P

No, I'm sure that means more than half of a second.

Hopefully Google opens this up. Should have at least 10 seconds to play with, for long exposures.

doc31

May 15, 2010
Visit site

The camera and camera app from the LG G4 is the only thing I'm going to regret losing.

syeo86

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

One other thing, I wish they integrated imprint into the camera app. Tap the imprint sensor to take a photo.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

Try ProShot: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.riseupgames.proshot2&token=gcsLDPij
Demo: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=com.riseupgames.proshot_free2&token=Zlwl-kZy

Manual controls in both photo and video, and pretty much every camera tool you can think of :)

Full disclosure: I am the dev. If you have any questions I'd be glad to answer them!
I originally used the Windows Phone version of ProShot when I used Windows Phone.

I like the Android version so much better, since it has more features than the Windows Phone version.

doc31

May 15, 2010
Visit site

Try ProShot: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.riseupgames.proshot2&token=IT3sECeI
Demo: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=com.riseupgames.proshot_free2&token=9N6vST1i

Manual controls in both photo and video, and pretty much every camera tool you can think of :)

Full disclosure: I am the dev. If you have any questions I'd be glad to answer them!

App looks pretty slick def one of the most looking. I'll have to try out the full version thanks for sharing.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463